Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2018, 04:26 PM   #451
Wally.B
Registered Member

Tank Photo (Armchair Desk View) Tricky Getting Photo with T5 (Coral Plus, Blue Plus Bulbs)

I find that T5 Bulbs especially Blue Plus are Tricky for Photo's.

I need to bring back my RGB White LED Strip.

This Photo is a bit Better with a few Fish to Show Coloration. Bit better too to show the Caves and Nooks and Cranies (with Rock Scape)

Certainly the Tank need some Corals to Color up. Those new Anthias will also help.

But I haven't looked at the Tank for Months. Not even after it was setup 2 months ago.
NOW I stare at it continuously.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 06:04 PM   #452
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Wally! Looking fantastic. The whole basement looks amazing. Such a great job!
Love the Vader nook and the closet.
Tank looks perfect and love your group of anthias.
Looking like it’s time for frags!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 07:08 PM   #453
tenurepro
Registered Member

My Project ★ GENESIS ★ 110G (Miracle) SPS Dream Tank - (II) Build Thread

Got a chance to see the scape and the tank today and the pics don’t do it justice... mesmerizing... now let’s get the sps game on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 07:41 PM   #454
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Hey Wally! Looking fantastic. The whole basement looks amazing. Such a great job!
Love the Vader nook and the closet.
Tank looks perfect and love your group of anthias.
Looking like it’s time for frags!
Thanks Matt.
I know where to get some Really Nice Frags (Wink, Wink!!)

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Unread 05/23/2018, 08:24 PM   #455
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Got a chance to see the scape and the tank today and the pics don’t do it justice... mesmerizing... now let’s get the sps game on!
Thank Tenurepro. Glad you came over, since like you say, pictures don't capture the Successful Layout. (I tried all kind of angles and can't get a good photo....Especially with new T5 Lighting).

You said you would come over with your Super Camera Gear and get a movie....I'll take you up on your offer, and my OLD corals will be here by weekend.

For now I shot this Video with my SLR, which shows the Rock Layout a bit Better.

YOU TUBE VIDEO (ROCK SCAPE)
(All Around View)

https://youtu.be/5_Qynk5p5ic

Video is Uploading and will be available approx. MIDNIGHT May 23,2018

Unread 05/23/2018, 08:39 PM   #456
Wally.B
Registered Member

FOUND BLACK CAPPED BASSLET (Alive - moving - Hidden under Rocks)

I got worried about the Black Cap, so got out my Flashing.

Almost gave up, and then noticed a bit a moving BLUE/Purple Tail.

Whew!! He is ok. He'll come out Eventually. I'm sure he managed to grab a bite.

Unread 05/24/2018, 12:10 AM   #457
Wally.B
Registered Member

STARTED a new TANK BUILD THREAD (But Will CONTINUE POSTING Details Here)

So I started a new Tank Build Thread. (Timing is Idea...Since TODAY is The TRUE BEGINING on the GENESIS Goal Journey).

https://www(dot)reef(two)reef(dot).com/threads/110-gallon-in-wall-office-dream-sps-reef-tank-project-genesis-total-automation-plus.395704/

Just COPY LINE ABOVE and replace the RED Words with the Appropriate Characters for the URL link

I'll continue here since Reef Central has been my home for years, and the people great.

HOWEVER the main reason (for Thread Build Trial) is the Other Site has a BETTER EDITOR (Makes it easier to use YouTube Videos instead of Double Posting Photos).

We'll see how things go.

Unread 05/24/2018, 11:30 AM   #458
Wally.B
Registered Member

Fridge Busted (Shelving Re-used) before Tomorrow's Garbage PICKUP

So our Kitchen Fridge Broke couple of week ago. Been Living out a Mini-Fridge as we shopped for Replacement. (I've fixed it before, but when it come to Compressors, I can't)

I was going to keep the Good Quality Food Grade Shelve for bins, but then I got an IDEA. **TAKE THE PANEL with SHELVES **

WaterPROOF Shelving isn't cheap, and mounting is even more difficult.

I wouldn't do this in a Rec Room, but my Junky Fish Room just got better [Not properly Mounted on Wall, but you get the IDEA)

Unread 05/24/2018, 09:15 PM   #459
Wally.B
Registered Member

WOAH!!! (3 Anthias Died....Just like Instantly)

This blows me away. Just before Baseball Practice, all 5 were swimming.

They were eating constantly since I got them yesterday.

I get back from Baseball 3 hours later and only 2 swimming, 3 lying on the bottom of QT.

They did come from 1.014 Salinity System, so I did acclimatize a bit more longer (not baggie method) but a Small Container that I kept topping up (over about 1 hour).

Last night I read they need to be VERY SLOWLY acclimatized. 4 Hours.

If the two make it till tomorrow, I'll get 3 more since I really want a group of these (and eating Anthias an not easy to come by).

Unread 05/25/2018, 10:29 PM   #460
Wally.B
Registered Member

I posted an Update on my other Thread. Had a Good Day, and a Terrible Day (my Tomini Tang Died).

https:// www(dot)reef(two)reef(dot)com/threads/%E2%98%85-110-gallon-in-wall-office-dream-sps-reef-tank-%E2%98%85-project-genesis-total-automation-plus-%E2%98%85.395704/page-2#post-4766363

I'm not sure which Thread I will continue, but I'll be hopping back and forth till I figure out where things work better for me.

Unread 05/25/2018, 10:34 PM   #461
Rakie
In Memoriam

My Lunate wrasse just died the other day too Wally. His face looked funny like he was startled at night and hit the glass or something.. He didn't eat and was hiding for a few days then 4th day gone. Was so quick.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 06:37 AM   #462
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
My Lunate wrasse just died the other day too Wally. His face looked funny like he was startled at night and hit the glass or something.. He didn't eat and was hiding for a few days then 4th day gone. Was so quick.
Really Sorry to Hear. Was he special? Been around forever?

And I just checked on the New 5 Anthias. All Alive so far.

With Fish you can always find a replacement (not that you want them to die). Losing a Large SPS Colony that you've grown from a Frag for years is way worse.

Unread 05/26/2018, 10:02 AM   #463
Rakie
In Memoriam

Yeah he was a stellar fish to me. I also got a crazy good deal on him, he is a fish I could never afford. If for some crazy reason I could only keep one fish, it would have been this guy.

Photobucket is 100% dead, so not my picture, but this is a Lunate (crescent tail) wrasse.

Unread 05/26/2018, 10:05 PM   #464
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Yeah he was a stellar fish to me. I also got a crazy good deal on him, he is a fish I could never afford. If for some crazy reason I could only keep one fish, it would have been this guy.

Photobucket is 100% dead, so not my picture, but this is a Lunate (crescent tail) wrasse.
Stunning Fish. Unfortunate you lost him.

Unread 05/26/2018, 10:09 PM   #465
Wally.B
Registered Member

FIRST *NEW TANK SETUP * (Lighting PAR TEST)

I borrowed an Apogee Quatum Meter to do The First Test Ever on my Tank & Lighting Systems.

This is with my Fixture at 11" above Water Line, and all 6x 54W T5's at 100%.

Not bad for a Variety of SPS.

Very Even Lighting from FRONT to BACK, and LEFT across to RIGHT at AT same Depth.

For the Rock Areas I'm basically 250-350 almost anywhere I can place Frags.

If I need more PARS I can always lower he Fixture.

THIS IS A past Reading from my OLD 65 Gallon TANK (an Previous 250Wx2 MH Lights and PAIR OF T5's)

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/26/2018 at 10:16 PM.
Unread 05/26/2018, 10:45 PM   #466
Rakie
In Memoriam

Looks good. Vivid Aquariums runs less PAR on their 800g show tank than that, so you should be fine (their tank is almost 100% SPS)

Unread 05/26/2018, 10:53 PM   #467
Wally.B
Registered Member

A Better Day Today (for Anthias & DT Fish)

No Fish Died Today

And I love the Carberryi Anthias.

There was a moment where All 5 Lined up line Pencils in a Package. Pretty Cool. (I've been trying to get a photo of that all fish lineup, but no luck)

I guess I learned a lesson about NOT SKIMPING on Acclimatization.

Unread 05/27/2018, 11:30 AM   #468
Wally.B
Registered Member

More Good News (Black Capped Basslet in DT) Comes Out of Hiding.

ALL Anthias still all alive and same for the Black Capped Basslet.

Today I'll be Tuning the Water Parameters (Setup the Aurdino Doser) to prepare for Return of SPS Corals.

First test will be a small PACMAN SPS Frag donated by the generosity and daring Tunurepro.

Unread 05/27/2018, 07:46 PM   #469
Wally.B
Registered Member

Update on Carberryi Anthais: (1 Anthias dies QT#2 from the New FIVESOME (A 2nd One is acting Withdrawn, Pair Continues to Survive in QT#1)

I guess this is the way with Anthias. (Some make it, some don't)

If I'm left with 5 I'd be Happy (since 1 will change to Male, and 4 would stay Female).

What SCARES me...is I have to eventually do one more Transfer to DT (so I may loose more again).

Unread 05/28/2018, 07:29 AM   #470
Wally.B
Registered Member

A Miracle Just Happened (First time in Over 20 Years) Anthias Come back from the Near DEAD

I didn't want to mention anything prematurely, and I'm still not out of the Woods Yet.

Never in my whole reefing years, has a fish that has gotten GRAVELY ill survived.

When the first Anthias died, a 2nd one was looking really weak.

I took out the Dead one and was going to put the dying one out of it's misery, but it wiggled away from my Tongs.

I expected it dead last night, but I peek into QT#2, to my Greatest Surprise there were 4 Cute Anthias looking at me to be fed.

So I waited till this morning to check again. All 4 Anthias are doing good.

Unread 05/28/2018, 09:04 PM   #471
Wally.B
Registered Member

Fish are Settling into Tank (All Fish Out & Really Peaceful Swimming)

We'll all that Territory aggression is over.

Strange how the Tank has Transitioned to Very Peaceful.

All Fish are Out and about. (Every Fish is in this Photo)

Cleaner Shrimp came out of Cave, and Mandarin Goby is very active since I added Live Tiger Copepods.

Even the BLACK Capped Basslet is Regularly out.

I miss the Tomini Tang (his Colors and Personality)

Unread 05/28/2018, 09:31 PM   #472
Wally.B
Registered Member

Went to get Dirty/Compost for Tomato Garden (Came Home with a 4000 Watt Generator)

I do have UPS Battery Backup System enough for keeping my Tanks Barely Going for 8 hours.

For years I've wanted a Generator since with Global Warming we've had Ice Storms, Blackouts, and my Brother in Law Lost his tank (week without power during the BIG Ice Storm).

This 4000W Champion was on Clearanc SALE at the Canadian Tire Hardware store. Plus I had collected just over $200 in points for something special.

So it cost me $129 out of pocket, which is something I thought I'd have to wait a couple more years to get on POINTS.

Nice insurance to have, Not only with my 90 Gallon Establish TANK but also with New Tank (SPS Only) on the Horizon.

Will be hooking up to Run Furnace During Winter, (Some Basic Tank Stuff) and Enough spare capacity to Keep a few more household items going.

Unread 05/29/2018, 01:23 AM   #473
Rakie
In Memoriam

Yeah fish need to establish hierarchy for a bit in a new tank. The poor little black cap probably decided he wasn't gonna be the dominant fish so he just hid until the fighting was over. He looks like the smallest fish, so that makes sense.

Unread 05/29/2018, 04:18 AM   #474
homer1475
Registered Member

I bought the same generator years ago(champion 4k Watts), on clearance from TSC(tractor supply store). Think I payed like 99$ for it. Obviously mine is quite a few years old and looks completely different, but I can fully run my tank, pellet stove, fridge, chest freezer, TV and satellite, and on demand hot water before it starts to bog down.

Great little genny that has never failed on me on the 10 years I've owned it. And trust me, up here in northern NY it gets used nearly weekly in the winter.

Best thing I did for the genny was when we remodeled and we had to rewire the entire house, wire everything I want to run on the genny on one side of the panel box(like I said we loose power quite often and wanted a genny but at the time could not afford an auto backup genny) . I simply flip the main breaker, go out start the genny, plug it in, and back feed the panel box. No messy extension cables running every where.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 06:43 AM   #475
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Fish are Settling into Tank (All Fish Out & Really Peaceful Swimming)

We'll all that Territory aggression is over.

Strange how the Tank has Transitioned to Very Peaceful.

All Fish are Out and about. (Every Fish is in this Photo)

Cleaner Shrimp came out of Cave, and Mandarin Goby is very active since I added Live Tiger Copepods.

Even the BLACK Capped Basslet is Regularly out.

I miss the Tomini Tang (his Colors and Personality)
Great looking tank, Wally!
You slapped that together practically overnight.
Good job!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote