Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2008, 08:25 AM   #126
ktar
Moved On

Fonda i did my 65 gallon twice just to make sure it all gone.

ktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 09:11 AM   #127
WWC
Registered Member

Over a week after interceptor my corals are starting to look much better but i'm still looking very closely

WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 06:39 AM   #128
The_Browns
Registered Member

We are havig the same problem. We almost lost a Rainbow Acan Colony, Ended up giving it to a friend to care for and its starting to bounce back. Also just got a Stellar Chalice and Fruit Punch Lords and its happening again, Just melting away. I will post pic of what the corals looked like when I got them and what they look like now tonight. I will be doing and inceptor treatment tonight also.

Current Tank Info: 120g DT and 35g frag tank
The_Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 10:13 AM   #129
JUICE!
Registered Member.

OK.....this may or may not be the answer to the big question. My bowerbanki colony started melting away about the same time I came across this thread. I also took an acan that was infected in the browns tank that was doing bad.

I iodine dipped his rainbow acan, but it was so beat up that I didn't want to put it through the stress of QT (it was a REALLY nice acan)

since then, his piece is doing much better, and my bowerbanki started dying off. It seemed to be stemming from a millipora sting, but entire polyps starting dying.

I took it out a few minutes ago, and did a interceptor and tank water bath in my extra coral QT tank, and while observing it....little black specks started coming out of the ribs in thhe fresh white skeleton.

in the pictures you can see the black specs which were not visible before and definitely moving around on their own! there is one long skinny one that can be seen better in the pictures, but I don't know if it's the same as the color isn't as dark.

whatever they are.....they started running when I added the interceptor, and the black speck definately came out of the freshly exposed skeleton.

My tank params are perfect and everything in the tank is doing great except for this coral.

this coral was right next to the piece that I got from the Browns.

like I said....I'm not sure if the larger browner one is the same thing, or just a random pod that was on the colony.....but the little black specks are the little guys!

Hopefully the interceptor bath will kill them and the rest of the coral will not be affected!

Did the interceptor treatment work for everyone else's tanks that were affected? anyone else see little black specks?

JUICE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 10:33 AM   #130
JUICE!
Registered Member.

ok....about an hour into the bath....the specks aren't moving anymore, and the large one is dead. I broke out the tripod.....but I'm not a very good photographer!

Unread 06/18/2008, 11:35 AM   #131
ReefMonger
Registered Member

Those are great pics Juice and great observation on the black specks. I never did a dip to really see it

Well Im glad I tried the interceptor treatment to hopefully save all of you alot of heartache

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal
ReefMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 01:53 PM   #132
JUICE!
Registered Member.

I'm pretty sure they came from the acan frag I got from the browns. I haven't added anything new to the tank for a good while.

It looked pretty much like a SPS RTNing, only in slow motion! Initially I had a piece of millipora sting the center of a polyp and the mouth died........then all of the sudden surrounding polyps starting dying...you can see a little of that white crap in the pictures. i THINK THE MILLIE BURN WAS COINCIDENTAL

it was pretty slow.......the center of the polyp died first and eventually the skin would seperate from the skeleton. It would seem that these bugs were eating them from the inside out.

Hopefully the interceptor bath works. I have more at the ready in case other corals seem to be affected, but so far it seems confined to the one coral.

I'm glad you tried it too! it would seem that you've saved some folks a bunch of money!

I wish I had a microscope at home! I'd like to see what the little bastards look like up close!

Unread 06/18/2008, 02:55 PM   #133
Underwaterparadise
Registered Member

Hmmm very interesting thread. I have a colony that is receeding as well and I think I have some Interceptor as well. How much Interceptor is everyone using for a dip??

Current Tank Info: Taking a Vacation
Underwaterparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 04:13 PM   #134
The_Browns
Registered Member

Some pics of when I first put the corals in my time to today.

When I first put them in the tank:

Fruit Punch Lords

Stellar Chalice

Today:

Fruit Punch Lords

Stellar Chalice

I am about to treat the tank with Interceptor so I will keep everyone posted.

Unread 06/18/2008, 05:47 PM   #135
The_Browns
Registered Member

Double POst

Unread 06/18/2008, 06:57 PM   #136
roktsintst
Registered Member

juice how much interceptor did you use. i just looked closly at my chalices that arn[t doing well and i could see very small black bugs running around. they are only on the chalices that arn't doing good and i want to see if the interceptor will kill them and if indeed they are the problem so i want to do a separate treatment!

Current Tank Info: 300 AGE Starfire SPS Reef*75g frag tank lit w/ T5's* Deltec 902*ACIII*4 400 Radium's*4-160 vho's*GEO 818 CA RX*ReefTek Kalk RX*Dart Return on manifold to a wavy sea*57 watt uv*HammerHead w/ OceansMotion
roktsintst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2008, 08:00 PM   #137
RokleM
Registered Member

The_Browns, what lighting are they under? Have you had any major temp sings, specifically getting too hot? There doesn't appear to be any sign of recession, but they are HORRIBLY bleached. You can only see the slightest color of where the mouth is on the chalice.

Unread 06/18/2008, 09:24 PM   #138
The_Browns
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RokleM
The_Browns, what lighting are they under? Have you had any major temp sings, specifically getting too hot? There doesn't appear to be any sign of recession, but they are HORRIBLY bleached. You can only see the slightest color of where the mouth is on the chalice.
80-81 always, No temp swings

Unread 06/19/2008, 06:25 AM   #139
The_Browns
Registered Member

They are under 250W MH x 2 14k

Unread 06/19/2008, 11:51 AM   #140
JUICE!
Registered Member.

To treat a full tank I use the 23mg tab(large dog flavor tab) for 300 gal of system volume. I've read that the large dog pill is good for 380G.

I bathed a lot of the LPS that wasn't hammered down, last night, hoping that I won't have to treat the whole tank......we'll see. For the bath, I used 1/2 a large dog tab in my 5 gallon QT, and two of the 11mg tabs in my 10 gallon QT, and bathed them for approximately 6 hours. they are shallow acrylic QT tanks that my friend makes locally. they are perfect for dipping and QTing corals!

anyhow......after the interceptor bath, I dipped with tropic marin for 30-45 minutes

I hope there aren't a million eggs laying around that will hatch in a few weeks.

When I got home from work yesterday I saw the white fuzzy crap going through a couple polyps of a micromussa frag........if I see it affect anything else, I'll treat the whole tank.......but there's no way I'll be able to catch the shrimp! I don't want to kill them unless I have to!

Unread 06/19/2008, 01:35 PM   #141
roktsintst
Registered Member

I am in the same boat juice. i did a lugols dip yesterday to a few chalices. they still didn't look to good this morning so i'll probably do an interceptor dip later. Well see how everything turns out!

Current Tank Info: 300 AGE Starfire SPS Reef*75g frag tank lit w/ T5's* Deltec 902*ACIII*4 400 Radium's*4-160 vho's*GEO 818 CA RX*ReefTek Kalk RX*Dart Return on manifold to a wavy sea*57 watt uv*HammerHead w/ OceansMotion
roktsintst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2008, 04:44 PM   #142
ktar
Moved On

Update: Everything seems to be doing very good but i still have some corals that are affected and still dying. My aussie scoly has just started to recede two day ago and i did lugol dip and still not looking to good. I am happy that i saved most of my prized chalices and aussie acan. I still notice when i feed the frag tank which is my smaller tank there is slimy stuff that reach out to grab food. i think i will have to set up a interceptor tank just to dip the corals because not all of them are affected by the white stuff. i dont know what is going on.

ktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2008, 04:54 PM   #143
Emster
Registered Member

I treated my tank and some of my lps's that were on there way out are looking much better now. I had a micro colony that grew really well for a long time and then just started going down hill and was not going to make it and now after the interceptor is looking really good again and also some chalices. I wish I had known about this before I lost a couple of really expensive chalices!

Current Tank Info: 180 gal, Iwaki 70, 4-3/4" sea swirls, 3-400 watt Radiums, 4-80watt T-5's , custom Ca reactor, 1/3hp aqualogic chiller, i-Tech 400, Tunze osmolator
Emster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2008, 10:37 PM   #144
ReefMonger
Registered Member

Any more updates from anyone?

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal
ReefMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2008, 04:49 AM   #145
Tank102a
Registered Member

That is just sad, any success stories?

Tank102a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2008, 07:17 AM   #146
The_Browns
Registered Member

Alright some updates on mine. RokleM and JUICE were right. It had to do with my Temp. Our Thermometer was reading 80-81 always. Well we go another one and the water was 89 degrees. We have since got our temp stable at a true 80 degrees and the corals are starting to look much better.

Unread 07/01/2008, 01:45 PM   #147
All Delight
Registered Member

Good info guys. Keep it coming.

Current Tank Info: too small
All Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2008, 06:55 PM   #148
Underwaterparadise
Registered Member

Any updates? I fragged and dipped 2 chalice and an Acan last week. So far so good but I will wait at least a month to be able to see if the receding has stopped

Current Tank Info: Taking a Vacation
Underwaterparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2008, 10:30 AM   #149
Meisen
Premium Member

I had a similar thing happen to some of my Acan lords though it never got that bad. Basically just the increase in ground temp from winter-spring and my inattention were at fault.

Seems like if you look on various forums there are always "whats wrong with my coral" threads right around May-June. On the advice of a friend I have been running my systems a little cooler for the Acans and it seems to be paying off. Now I am at 77-78 instead of 81-82 and color is looking great. I would run them even cooler (advice was to go to 72-75) but the other corals in the tank probably can't take it. And growth falls off at that point as well from what I have heard.

Current Tank Info: Tankless. Like your water heater.
Meisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2008, 08:25 PM   #150
Tico Mike
Registered Member

I keep my 450 at 75 and my sps grows like mad. Acans have always looked good too. I don't think growth is effected if temp is consistant at 75. There may well be an adjustment period when temp is first lowered that effects growth rate, but if you give it time I think growth rebounds nicely IME.

Tico Mike is offline   Reply With Quote