Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2010, 10:27 AM   #1
djneedledamage
Moved On

My Corkscrew Gorgonian

I just got this Corkscrew Gorgonian, but I have already got it to feed on mysis and some Tropic Marin SPS food. This is a picture from the site I bought it from, but it looks the same. I will post some pics later. I am totally excited about this buy.

djneedledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Rottilove
Registered Member

I've been seeing more and more of these lately, whereas before I never heard of them. I think they are the neatest things.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with a little of everthing. Coralife light with 2 150W MH and 2 96W actinic, Coralife 220 skimmer, multi-media reactor, 20+ gallon display fuge.
Rottilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Rumplestilsken
Registered Member

They sure are awesome. It was actually able to ingest full size mysis?

Rumplestilsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2010, 05:21 PM   #4
djneedledamage
Moved On

Their polyps are fairly large. That one I got of a place that is on Michigan Reefers. They have some cheap I have seen some with smaller polyps, but I think that is from lack of feeding.

djneedledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Rottilove
Registered Member

You need to get a photo of it eating!! I think it's cool to catch things in the act that you normally wouldn't think could handle the size.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with a little of everthing. Coralife light with 2 150W MH and 2 96W actinic, Coralife 220 skimmer, multi-media reactor, 20+ gallon display fuge.
Rottilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2010, 12:24 PM   #6
uhuru
Registered Member

This is actually a black coral, not a gorgonian. You can tell by the polyps, and if you try to frag it you can tell by the skeleton.

uhuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2010, 09:10 PM   #7
uhuru
Registered Member

The Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology has now confirmed that black corals do indeed contain zooxanthellae. Even the ones that live in darkness. Whether or not the algae plays a significant role is still questionable, but IME it plays a significant role with some of these corkscrew ones.

Its an interesting thing to think about, because technically, it is incorrect to call them azooxanthellae, but possibly acceptable to call them non-photosynthetic! What a trip!

uhuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2015, 11:19 AM   #8
calk me Q
Registered Member

so what do these zooxanthellae do in their body? Really amazing

calk me Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2015, 08:06 PM   #9
Softreef
Registered Member

Smile

I had to look these up as I wasn't 100% sure what they where,look very lovely,are these rare or fairly common in aquaculture not nature I mean?

Softreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2015, 08:20 AM   #10
laga77
Registered Member

Here is one of mine. I have four others, two are doing well and frags of these are hanging on but not thriving. That will come back. They need good flow and and daily feedings of any meaty right sized food. They are hard to find. I have told my LFS I will buy any he sees.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg spiral.jpg (103.4 KB, 69 views)

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
laga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2015, 02:28 AM   #11
Nemato
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laga77 View Post
Here is one of mine. I have four others, two are doing well and frags of these are hanging on but not thriving. That will come back. They need good flow and and daily feedings of any meaty right sized food. They are hard to find. I have told my LFS I will buy any he sees.
Yes, here in Europe difficult too. Some years ago it was easy from time to time to find as much as 5 or 6 in a shop. Now I rarely see them

Nemato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2015, 07:23 AM   #12
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemato View Post
Yes, here in Europe difficult too. Some years ago it was easy from time to time to find as much as 5 or 6 in a shop. Now I rarely see them
Well, as a person who has been in the hobby 10+ years, and only had to kill a 2 NPS corals (back in the beginning), I think the general hobby has shied away from NPS corals. It's very rare I see them in the local LFS. But I am interested in having a go at NPS again. I'm much more in tune with aquariums and coral now than I was 8 years ago and I have a 75g tank tied into a 400g system where I can control water turnover, flow and feeding.

Tags
corkscrew gorgonian, spiralis