Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2011, 05:59 PM   #1
andythorntonjr
Registered Member

Talking Seahorses: An addiction!

Hehe, I'm sure everyone who has them can agree to that! Had to share some of the newest updates for mine. First babies one of my adults had are going on six weeks old now; down to about 8 of them though, but all eight look to be in good health. Lost three or four over the past week, but they were extremely 'skinny/runty'. Not sure if they just weren't eating enough or what, but there we are. As for the newest batch... I took some suggestions here & elsewhere and moved everything from the 12 gallon nanocube with kriesel tank into a 20 gallon divided into 3 sections; mechanical (liverock, Fluval C3 filter, chiller), older babies and newborns. Doing GREAT so far. Didn't lose any to filter problems from the newest batch (BOTH males gave birth within 24 hours of each other.. so what was 40-50 became 80-100 overnight). Not sure exactly why (not complaining) but the males look to be on a roughly 4 week pregnancy rotation and giving birth to between 40 and 60 babies at a time. Seems a little light in terms of birthrate, but all of them are in very good health.

IMAG0447.jpg
One of the adult males, Warren, who had his first batch of fry recently.
IMAG0454.jpg
IMAG0455.jpg
IMAG0458.jpg

Some of the older babies and a side view of the newest. Have to figure out a good brush/tube design setup to clean the dividers a bit better I think, but otherwise things are good. Ammonia readings are holding at zero. Enjoy the pictures! Back to feeding the addiction watching them all some more. Haha.

andythorntonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2011, 06:11 PM   #2
KimP
Registered Member

Very cool! Good luck with all the babies

KimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2011, 07:47 PM   #3
aidan0217
Moved On

nice...more pic please.

aidan0217 is offline   Reply With Quote