Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2017, 08:52 AM   #1
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Tunze Calcium Automat 3171 and Stream 3 pump

Hi Roger,

Could you tell me if the new Calcium Automat 3171 and the Stream 3 pump is available in USA ? Where can I find them ? And prices ..

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 09:34 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

3171 is in stock, no major mail order company is stocking them yet but many would drop ship it for you. Stream 3, Marine Depot or Aquarium Specialty may have some remaining in stock, we only got a small shipment in late December, we expect more in a week or two.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 08:57 AM   #3
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

Hi

I do plan to order a 3171 reactor, but would like to search for some experiences with this relatively new product.

I have a 12 year old Deltec PF501 which I think of exchanging.

Beside if any can give me some input/experiences, do the 3171 include a bubblecounter or not?
Cannot find this answered at Tunze web or in the user manual.

What about the robustness/durability of the pH electrode?

I have already a 7000 Smart Controller combined with 2 Stream 3, so I may for the first time try to use a pH electrode to Control a calciumreactor

Current Tank Info: 165 gallon mixed reef tank with RoyalExclusiv 45 gallon ECO Dreambox sump, BubbleKing DoubleCone 200 internal skimmer and Philips CoralCare Gen2 ligthing, Tunze Stream 3 circulation and KH controlled with an Alkatronic KH Controller and Dosetronic
NorwayEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 10:20 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The electrode is very good in my experience, it is glass construction and double isolated.

The 3171, initially we had a batch which was not glued properly so early reviews may cover this problem, when it was first produced their were some assembly mistakes. I use 3170 which was in the end never released because they wanted to make it better. We have sold a few in US and the ones that do not leak people were very pleased and this is in the past as it was caught early. In Europe they have sold a lot more so you probably will find more reviews on European sites.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 05/30/2017, 01:59 PM   #5
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

Thanks Roger

I cannot find any good (or any) reviews by googling on European sites either, so this purchase may be a bit premature.

Since I have to install the reactor outside my sump, I must trust that it will not leak.

What about the bubble Counter, is such included?

Current Tank Info: 165 gallon mixed reef tank with RoyalExclusiv 45 gallon ECO Dreambox sump, BubbleKing DoubleCone 200 internal skimmer and Philips CoralCare Gen2 ligthing, Tunze Stream 3 circulation and KH controlled with an Alkatronic KH Controller and Dosetronic
Unread 05/30/2017, 02:03 PM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Yes, bubble counter is included. In general in sump is the safest, the reactor should not leak, but I know from my own experiences, between cats, kids, dogs, accidents and mistakes, tubes can get pulled and cut and leak but that goes for all equipment.

Unread 05/31/2017, 10:57 AM   #7
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

I have placed an order for a 3171 through my LFS here in Norway. Should be app. one week delivery from Germany.

I acknowledge the benefit of having all equipment in the sump, but in this case have to start with mounting it outside.

Thanks again Roger

Unread 05/31/2017, 11:06 AM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

No problem, thank you!

Unread 06/13/2017, 03:13 AM   #9
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

I am about to pick up my new 3171 today, and have prepared by reading the manual.

As I have been using my old Deltec PF501 for almost 10 years just plain without any pH control I initially intend to continue likewise with the 3171.
That means visual control of CO2 flow and water throughput, and with a open/close valve for CO2 open during light hours

However since I already use 2 ea Stream 3's with a 7000 Controller I think it would be interesting to consider a pH electrode connected to the 7000.
I only need the electrode and some calibration buffers as I see it, maybe a controllable CO2 valve if I wish more than just reading pH value.

I see the manual recommends the glass electrode 7070.110.
Are there any specific reasons to recommend this instead of the probably more durable 7070.100 made of plastic?

Unread 06/13/2017, 03:33 AM   #10
NorwayEagle
Registered Member

Another thought; I have been using the fine version of Carib Sea ARM media:

http://www.caribsea.com/caribsea_arm.html

All pictures of the 3171 and 3172 I see shows the reactor with a coarse medium.
As the reactor have no foam insert on the top, is it not advisable to use fine medias?

Unread 06/13/2017, 08:16 AM   #11
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The 7070.110 is higher quality, it is a real laboratory electrode and the glass electrodes are more accurate and higher overall quality. You can use any BNC electrode, but the highest accuracy will be 7070.110. It is true that the glass is more fragile for sure.

We recommend our media because it is pure Calcium Carbonate granules and not a natural product from the sea, the problem with products that are coral fragments is they tend to create a fine/mushy residue when they dissolve that can clog the pump. You can use other medias but extra care must be taken that the pump is serviced regularly and the reactor is kept clean of sediments and residues.

Unread 07/05/2018, 09:29 PM   #12
joseserrano
Registered Member

I just purchased one today. Any further feed back on these guys? I tend to trust tunze and roger from my Interactions with him in the past. Very little info/reviews available

joseserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 08:06 AM   #13
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Hi Jose,

I would look on european forums, in general vendors tell me that calcium reactors are slow sellers, a success might be a hundred units a year as they only tend to be used by more advanced aquarists on larger set ups so feedback is always limited by the number of users. I use the 3170 which was never actually produced but is about half the size of a 3171, with kalkwasser it keeps up with my 215 without any issues except when my caps get to be over about 8" around, then I frag them to half that size and things balance back out. I have over a dozen different caps and encrusting SPS.