Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/30/2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Nimitz87
Registered Member

can anyone tell me what my anemone is doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRuH8Hahvow

I have two BTA's one is wide open and really dug into a crevice, the other one seems to move a ton. the nems have been in the tank about a month.

both eat regularly here are my water params. I use salifert kits or hanna checkers.

temp 80
ph 8.1
sg 1.025
alk 8.6 (hanna checker)
cal 420
mag 1330
nitrate 5ppm
p04 undetected (salifert) I do have a hanna ULR checker on the way.

is this normal? should I be worried?

Nimitz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2018, 11:47 AM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

Hard to say for certain, maybe it wants more light.

When I last had a BTA specific tank w/ a handful of BTA's each seemed to seek different needs, some went straight in front of PH's taking more flow, some went high for more light, and some did the opposite.
I could not see a one fits all pattern in my BTA's like I have most other host anemones I've kept

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Nimitz87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Hard to say for certain, maybe it wants more light.

When I last had a BTA specific tank w/ a handful of BTA's each seemed to seek different needs, some went straight in front of PH's taking more flow, some went high for more light, and some did the opposite.
I could not see a one fits all pattern in my BTA's like I have most other host anemones I've kept
these things are frustrating as hell that's for sure, they are constantly moving, I knew they moved but figured they'd hopefully settle into a spot.

tank has 3 black boxes on it, 90 gallon tank. lights are 8-9" above the water blues are on @ 9am off @1am whites on @3pm off @11pm I have the blues set to just below the fans kicking on, whites are the lowest they go like 15% (not on in vid) I can easily turn them up a bit, do you think I should?

Unread 06/30/2018, 12:05 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Hard to say for sure, you can try, and shade anything that seems bothered in doing so if needed.
BTA's just have a mind of their own, I see often they will just pick up and move even after a year or more in one spot, for no apparent reason or w/out any changes made.

Most every other anemone I've had I can pretty much spot a place for them and have little if any shifts from where I originally guessed them to be happy, but w/ BTA's all bets are off...

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 06/30/2018, 01:15 PM   #5
Nimitz87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Hard to say for sure, you can try, and shade anything that seems bothered in doing so if needed.
BTA's just have a mind of their own, I see often they will just pick up and move even after a year or more in one spot, for no apparent reason or w/out any changes made.

Most every other anemone I've had I can pretty much spot a place for them and have little if any shifts from where I originally guessed them to be happy, but w/ BTA's all bets are off...
gotcha...I should have done more research before grabbing these locally.

they are hosting my clowns though. the 1 clown hogs both nems.

this is the same one a few minutes ago, guess it's fine.

Unread 06/30/2018, 01:22 PM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

It seems fine from pics, just probably climbing up for more light, and maybe it will stay right there w/out making any adjustments.

I'd guess the hoggy clown will share nems w/ male soon, especially as she matures

Unread 06/30/2018, 08:27 PM   #7
garygb
Registered Member

They really like to have their foot in a cave and spread out in J shape, where the foot is the little part of the J. Make sure your powerheads/pump inlets are covered with screen or foam to prevent the BTA getting sucked in.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2018, 04:14 PM   #8
OrionN
Moved on

What is going on there is that your anemone is going sailing. When the condition is not right, the anemone inflates his foot and go walking. When condion is intolerable, he just inflate his foot and let go, and follow the current to a better place he hope. In aquarium, it is a death sentence.
You need to it him in a cage so he won't get to the PH. In the mean time find and correct what is wrong. Best of luck.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2018, 10:25 AM   #9
accel
Registered Member

I agree woth @Davoocean. These BTAs have their own personal preferences in terms of light and flow. If they move constantly, my first instinct would be the water quality.

accel is offline   Reply With Quote