Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2017, 01:40 PM   #1
Fredichacon
Registered Member

Lighting for 55 Gallon Reef Tank

I am about to start a 55 gallon reef tank and I plan on keeping LPS and softies, later down the road (at least 6 months) I plan on getting an anemone for my clownfish, I'm leaning towards LED but I wanted to know what the best ones were for the coverage in a 55 gallon and for what I want to stock. Price range would be 700 or less

Fredichacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 01:48 PM   #2
kissman
Registered Member

Reefbreeders 48" Photon. They actually have a newer model and I can think of the name. I have had no problem keeping any Coral under that light and it's less than $700

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 05:37 AM   #3
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

The Reef Breeders Photon V2 or Aquasanrise are both great fixtures with lots of features. I use the Photon V2 over my 60" tank. The 32" or 48" would work for you.

But do you really want to pay for all the features like 6 channels of light and sunrise/sunset/moonlight control? It does next to nothing for the coral, it's about controls for the user to play with (and I like having those controls). But my work tank has basic leds and the corals grow just as well!

The basic minimum in an led fixture would be the Mars Aqua and you'd need 2 of them at about $100 each. They have very similar leds and make very much the same light that more expensive fixtures make. They have 2 channels of color control (but still with 4 to 6 different colors of leds) and manual dimmers.

In between there are a number of fixtures that fit your budget and offer a variety of features. The light they produce is almost exactly the same in every brand and they all grow coral without issue. The options for you to play with make up most of the cost difference. Some small bit of cost goes into better quality parts and service, but IMHO, it's a small percentage. This link will show a post where most of the features are discussed along with some basic cost info.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&postcount=233

Unread 05/12/2017, 06:31 AM   #4
kissman
Registered Member

The control of diff channels does become useful. My Photon 48 only has 2 blues & white. It does have some Red LEDS and during the time of my Cyano I wished I could have turned just the reds down. Now as for the sunrise/sunset. I do enjoy it, my tank enjoys it and I'm sure it's a savings on electricity. Research before you buy. Some cheaper LED fixtures have been known to catch fire. One of the reasons I went with Reefbreeders was because I can get part easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 08:48 AM   #5
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

For $800 or so, 2 Kessil a360's would cover your tank well.
Plus you get the shimmer!

ComforablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 05:34 PM   #6
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComforablyNumb View Post
For $575 you get a 48" Photon V2 that is every bit as good as $800 in Kessils and I have shimmer as well, and I think it even looks better.

Unread 05/12/2017, 07:02 PM   #7
ajoe
Registered Member

I have a couple of AI Primes on my 50 gallon - 48" tank and love them. Plenty of spread and I only run them 3:1 Blue/White at 60%/15% and shimmer and spread is great. You can buy 2 of these for under $500 or do as I did and find a used pair here on RC Buying/selling forum for even less. A lot of options with these lights and you can customize your own schedule or download any number of others from AI. Very happy with these. If price is important than Ron is spot on with the Photons. Also, ..nice LEDs

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/prime-...umination.html

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2017, 03:20 AM   #8
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
get a 48" Photon V2 that is every bit as good as $800 in Kessils and I have shimmer as well, and I think it even looks better.
Surely Ron, you are not saying you get the same kind of quality shimmer from a Photon as you would get from a single point light such as a Kessil.
It must be quite a bit less evident given the light spread of the Photon, no?

I caution the OP...most people will advise you to get the fixture brand they currently own and have had success with. (like me)

Unread 05/13/2017, 06:18 AM   #9
A sea K
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredichacon View Post
I am about to start a 55 gallon reef tank and I plan on keeping LPS and softies, later down the road (at least 6 months) I plan on getting an anemone for my clownfish, I'm leaning towards LED but I wanted to know what the best ones were for the coverage in a 55 gallon and for what I want to stock. Price range would be 700 or less
Quote:
Have you already purchased your tank? If not I would not use a standard 55 as they are very narrow and difficult to aquascape and just dont look that appealing IMO. Aqueon makes a 50 gal that is 36x19x19 (actually calculates to be 55gal) which I believe would be a much better option. If you are considering Kessils then two of the 160's would be more than enough to meet your goals and well within your budget.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2017, 06:34 AM   #10
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A sea K View Post
Have you already purchased your tank? If not I would not use a standard 55 as they are very narrow and difficult to aquascape and just dont look that appealing IMO. Aqueon makes a 50 gal that is 36x19x19 (actually calculates to be 55gal) which I believe would be a much better option. If you are considering Kessils then two of the 160's would be more than enough to meet your goals and well within your budget.
I agree. I paid a bit more but the extra room was great. I drilled the 50. The photo below is a few months into an old 50 "breeder"

I've used Kessil 160, Kessil 360, Kessil AP700, Radion G4 Xr15 and Xr30. AI Prime, AI Hydra - They all grow coral.

I haven't used the cheaper LED options but as long as they have the right color and par, then they can grow coral - I've seen too many tanks in person to not believe it. I'll stick to the name brand fixtures but the cheaper options work.

Don't go all the way to the cheap no name fixtures thought, the Reefbreeders and others have good support based on evidence I've seen.

50 Gallon Breeder Tank by Oral Seymour, on Flickr

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2017, 06:48 AM   #11
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Surely Ron, you are not saying you get the same kind of quality shimmer from a Photon as you would get from a single point light such as a Kessil.
It must be quite a bit less evident given the light spread of the Photon, no?

I caution the OP...most people will advise you to get the fixture brand they currently own and have had success with. (like me)
No I'm not. But then how much shimmer do you want? I have never run Kessils at home. But I have a couple of friends who had them (past tense) and a friend with an LFS who has a couple still in use. They produce too much shimmer and I find it mildly distracting. And If I had to put a number on it, I'd say I have between 50% and 75% as much shimmer as a Kessil. I wouldn't want any more. And my level of shimmer is partially due to the fact that I have slightly more surface agitation.

I you are completely right, we all support the fixture we own. That's because it has the features we want. The OP or any new light fixture buyer would be VERY well advised to shop and consider features. All fixtures grow coral, you pay extra for features... 95% of which do nothing for the coral!

Unread 05/14/2017, 10:11 AM   #12
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
But then how much shimmer do you want?
I like what I see on shallow water reefs when snorkeling. That is...lots of shimmer. It looks so natural to me in a reef tank too.

Unread 06/08/2017, 12:34 PM   #13
heuerfan
Registered Member

I went with two 165 watt sunspect (chinese black box) for my mixed reef.

heuerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 01:48 PM   #14
Pelagic_e36
Registered Member

Plus, don't you have to buy a controller for the Kessils if you wanted to do a sunset/sunrise feature? I've been looking to upgrade and I find the the spotlight concept very appealing.

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon mixed reef, Eshopps Overflow, Diy Sump

Last edited by Pelagic_e36; 06/08/2017 at 01:55 PM.
Pelagic_e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 05:14 PM   #15
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic_e36 View Post
Plus, don't you have to buy a controller for the Kessils if you wanted to do a sunset/sunrise feature? I've been looking to upgrade and I find the the spotlight concept very appealing.
If you like pendants and want good, reasonably priced, strong, controllable led fixture, go look at ReeFi-Lab's fixture. I bought one and I'm pretty impressed with it. If you want more feedback on it let me know (here or in a PM).

Unread 06/08/2017, 06:25 PM   #16
shellsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heuerfan View Post
I went with two 165 watt sunspect (chinese black box) for my mixed reef.

That's a nice looking tank but don't you think that heater is overkill for a tank your size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 06/08/2017, 07:07 PM   #17
heuerfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsea View Post
That's a nice looking tank but don't you think that heater is overkill for a tank your size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lmao, took me a few minutes!!!!

heuerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2017, 07:31 AM   #18
Sandybw1
Registered Member

I have 2 aqua mars lights mounted on ai sol rails that will fit your tank for sale. $175.00 PM me if interested.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sandybw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2017, 11:21 AM   #19
EMeyer
Registered Member

A pair of Mars Aqua will cost you <$200 brand new, with free shipping, from Amazon. And will grow any corals you want in a 55 gal.

EMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2017, 04:00 PM   #20
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMeyer View Post
A pair of Mars Aqua will cost you <$200 brand new, with free shipping, from Amazon. And will grow any corals you want in a 55 gal.
+1

And the OP said the budget is $700. So if they want to save money, the MarsAqua is a good choice.

However, with a $700 budget, they may be looking for a fixture (or a pair) that can do more than just make light.

You might look at ReeFi-Labs website as they sell a really nice 150w led pendant with Cree leds and way more blue than white (the first fixture I've seen to break from the basic 50:50 split).

I bought one and it's currently over my 2'x2' frag tank and IMHO it's doing a fine job. But it has all the bells and whistles as well, crazy sunrise/sunset/moonlight control, 5 channel color control, fan speed control, wifi, a single glass lens to focus a 2'x2' footprint to a 3'x3' footprint. And it's just $300.

Unread 09/13/2017, 11:16 AM   #21
BarIzoN
Registered Member

Hello guys...

I'm also looking for an upgrade on my lights as well as taking the lids off my 55G.

I bought my tank at Petco and I have that high profile 55G tank. That's my start - and I don't exactly regret, but I'd do it differently if I'd buy a tank today...

Anyways...

I have a Coralife T5 2 bulbs fixture and I've added a 48in LED strip to it. Corals are growing, fish are happy, lots of coraline algae, but I want to go to the next level and get rid of the glass lids I have on it. I have no canopy.

Do you guys think an LED only approach would be good? I'm more towards an "hybrid" lighting with both LED and T5's - like I own, but I'd love to hear from you if you have a good approach on that hybrid scenario.

I'm not looking for fancy stuff, but the things that's reliable and works. I'm also looking for some shimmering effect.

I'm a little lower on my budget, on something about $500 to spend.

Thanks,

- BarIzoN -
55g mixed reef, sumpless, Coralife T5 + LED stripe, HOB Skimmer and Fluval G3 filter.

BarIzoN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, led, lps, softies