Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/19/2017, 02:48 PM   #251
halmus
Registered Member

That makes sense.

I was thinking the black box was measuring flow rate for the wash down. That's really getting scientific when you're measuring rate of flow on a glorified fish-toilet flush.

Solenoid valve makes way more sense.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 04:18 PM   #252
1933Ford
Registered Member

[QUOTE=tkeracer619;25052536]I finished plumbing and fired up the skimmer tonight. I'll need to redo the cup drain if I cannot find the other half of the union they used, it's a weird thread so I won't be finding a mating half...

Hard to tell from the picture but look into a PVC threaded or slip union. They use a weird thread. It looks like there are a number of unions in use already. I would guess that you have half of it. If not maybe a compression fitting (also weird threads). They carry both at Home Depot.

Greg

1933Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 04:22 PM   #253
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I cleaned off some dust and salt creep from the union last night and found that it is a spears union. If I can't find the other half i'll need to order one since I don't know where to get spears locally. The lowes/HD versions don't fit it. I think I know where the other half is but it means a lot of digging. Plan on doing that tonight.

In the end, it would probably be easier to just remake that section than ordering a spears union.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 04:55 PM   #254
1933Ford
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
I cleaned off some dust and salt creep from the union last night and found that it is a spears union. If I can't find the other half i'll need to order one since I don't know where to get spears locally. The lowes/HD versions don't fit it. I think I know where the other half is but it means a lot of digging. Plan on doing that tonight.

In the end, it would probably be easier to just remake that section than ordering a spears union.

Spears Manufacturing
4880 Florence St.
Denver, CO 80238
(303) 371-9430 • (800) 777-4154

I was out there like 25 years ago and bought fittings at the counter. I don't think that walk-in traffic is normal for them but they did sell to me. You may want to call them if you want to keep that fitting.

Greg

1933Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 05:03 PM   #255
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I would have never guessed they had a shop here. I'll give them a call tomorrow, they're not that far from me. Thanks!

Unread 04/19/2017, 07:18 PM   #256
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Found it! 😀. It was at the bottom of a stack of 6 totes.

Now I need to figure out a good waste container. I have a small one that will work for now. I have a 4gal Precision Marine ATO reservoir that would make a good one if I mod the lid for a float switch and vent. I'm not sure I have the room to use a 5gal bucket.

Unread 04/19/2017, 07:25 PM   #257
Hatonhed
Registered Member

Quote:
Found it! . It was at the bottom of a stack of 6 totes.

Now I need to figure out a good waste container. I have a small one that will work for now. I have a 4gal Precision Marine ATO reservoir that would make a good one if I mod the lid for a float switch and vent. I'm not sure I have the room to use a 5gal bucket.

I have a 4 1/2 gallon water jug that I got at Napa that may work well for you. The part number is 817–4089. For size reference, the tank next to it is a 20 long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon display with 20L sump
Hatonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 09:52 PM   #258
tkeracer619
Registered Member

That may certainly be an option. Thanks for the link!

Unread 04/19/2017, 09:53 PM   #259
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Well, someone was busy today! Put that skimmer to good use

Unread 04/19/2017, 09:58 PM   #260
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I Should Have Cleaned This Months Ago...

I started to clean the collection "cup" this evening and quickly realized it was pointless. It had been neglected far too long and the auto wash down feature not used. This thing had inch chunks of dried poop in it. I took it apart and outside to use the hose.

Here is a good size reference. The skimmer cup is the size of a 5gal bucket

Once back on (not something I want to do regularly) and after 5 minutes of adjustment it was already creating foam and skimming!

The tank has zero bioload right now but is super cloudy and smells bad. Really bad.

Unread 04/19/2017, 10:03 PM   #261
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTang View Post
Well, someone was busy today! Put that skimmer to good use
Done. I'm covered in year old fish poop

Unread 04/19/2017, 10:19 PM   #262
Darthv247
Registered Member

well. u may not need to seed the tank now haha.

Darthv247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 10:24 PM   #263
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I think it's good to go. All it needs now is some time.

And carbon, lots of carbon, lots and lots of carbon. Did I mention it stinks? You guys know my style right? This is usually when I skip town and leave the roommate to deal with it. This weekend is no exception. Ultimate crop dust

Unread 04/20/2017, 09:42 PM   #264
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

I noticed you mentioned Fiance a few posts ago and now "roommate" on this last post. I hope the tank smell didn't scare her out of the wedding! lol

Awesome progress. I'd love to see that skimmer working and the wash-down functioning!

I'll check back through your thread, I am interested in your aquascape plans, the lighting, and how you will get more flow in the tank (powerheads, etc.)

Keep it up!

NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 10:30 PM   #265
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
I noticed you mentioned Fiance a few posts ago and now "roommate" on this last post. I hope the tank smell didn't scare her out of the wedding! lol

Awesome progress. I'd love to see that skimmer working and the wash-down functioning!

I'll check back through your thread, I am interested in your aquascape plans, the lighting, and how you will get more flow in the tank (powerheads, etc.)

Keep it up!
she would have left by now if that was the case, now she's my partner in crime. One of my old buddies moved out to Colorado and has been staying with us until he has his feet well planted. Colorado can be rough on newcomers. He's really enjoying the smell right now . It's so bad right now, we have all the windows open and candles all over...

Thanks! After thinking about the auto wash down feature I'm a little nervous hooking up a valve to the house water for two reasons. First it has chloramines and second that's an unlimited supply of freshwater held back by a single valve.

I've been pondering about this all day. If I use a pressure tank I can use a plc or timer to fill the tank once per day, limiting the risk of a flood. I could fill this through the pre filters of my RO getting rid of the chloramines. Doing this could also mean an easier automation of the washdown for the inside of the neck as well. Depending on how much water it actually uses it would be just as easy to pull from my 200gal RODI storage tank into a small pressure tank with a booster pump. Not sure I would even notice the increase in water demand.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 04/20/2017 at 10:45 PM.
Unread 04/21/2017, 08:41 AM   #266
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Quote:
she would have left by now if that was the case, now she's my partner in crime. One of my old buddies moved out to Colorado and has been staying with us until he has his feet well planted. Colorado can be rough on newcomers. He's really enjoying the smell right now . It's so bad right now, we have all the windows open and candles all over...

Thanks! After thinking about the auto wash down feature I'm a little nervous hooking up a valve to the house water for two reasons. First it has chloramines and second that's an unlimited supply of freshwater held back by a single valve.

I've been pondering about this all day. If I use a pressure tank I can use a plc or timer to fill the tank once per day, limiting the risk of a flood. I could fill this through the pre filters of my RO getting rid of the chloramines. Doing this could also mean an easier automation of the washdown for the inside of the neck as well. Depending on how much water it actually uses it would be just as easy to pull from my 200gal RODI storage tank into a small pressure tank with a booster pump. Not sure I would even notice the increase in water demand.

What if you use tank water for wash down, then replace it with new saltwater. Frequent small water changes, and less risk?

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS cube
Unread 04/21/2017, 09:14 AM   #267
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
What if you use tank water for wash down, then replace it with new saltwater. Frequent small water changes, and less risk?

It's certainly an idea. I'd have to find a reliable valve made for saltwater if I'm going to automate it. I think that is the biggest challenge and why RK2 has an auto wash down using fresh water and a manual wash down using the salt.

Skimmer has made about 3 gallons of nog already and the tank has cleared up considerably.

Unread 04/21/2017, 09:17 AM   #268
halmus
Registered Member

Why couldn't you just have a small reservoir of fresh water (RO/DI if you wanted) and hook it up to a pump and use that to spray down the skimmer. Do away with the solenoid and pressure tank. Rely on the pressure from the pump to do the cleaning. You could have whatever sized reservoir 5-50gal.

Maybe I'm missing part of the equation?

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 09:20 AM   #269
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

I know that there are some valves that take a low voltage signal and 110v for power and work with saltwater, I'll try to find a link, what size is the water feed line to the wash down?

Does that much of the rinse down water make it down the skimmer neck? I'd think 99% of it would end up in the waste line making chloramines a smaller consideration.

Glad to hear that it is clearing up and that your wife is not afraid of a good tank cycle!

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS cube
Unread 04/21/2017, 09:32 AM   #270
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
Why couldn't you just have a small reservoir of fresh water (RO/DI if you wanted) and hook it up to a pump and use that to spray down the skimmer. Do away with the solenoid and pressure tank. Rely on the pressure from the pump to do the cleaning. You could have whatever sized reservoir 5-50gal.

Maybe I'm missing part of the equation?
I'm assuming higher pressure equals better cleaning. If I use RODI in a pressure tank a booster pump would automatically get me 80psi before the pressure switch turns it off, seems like a pretty easy solution. Then again, it works pretty good with the manual washdown on a single nozzle using the recirc pump... but that is a rather large and expensive pump.

Quote:
I know that there are some valves that take a low voltage signal and 110v for power and work with saltwater, I'll try to find a link, what size is the water feed line to the wash down?

Does that much of the rinse down water make it down the skimmer neck? I'd think 99% of it would end up in the waste line making chloramines a smaller consideration.

Glad to hear that it is clearing up and that your wife is not afraid of a good tank cycle!

Thanks, I'm interested in the valves. Wonder if they would work with tank water as well, probably not but it would be cool!

I think it's 3/4" but it could be 1". It has both, internal and external wash down. Internal uses the recirc pump, external uses house water. The internal is manual and if I could convert it over to auto that would be best. What's nice about using RODI from a small tank is that if the valve does get stuck open it's just going to dump 3-5 gallons. That is roughly half of my daily top off, no biggie.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 04/21/2017 at 09:38 AM.
Unread 04/25/2017, 12:46 PM   #271
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Over the weekend Ammonia went from 2ppm to .25~.5ppm, the smell has calmed down, and the skimmer is now producing extra fine bubbles. I had to adjust the skimmer all the way down and restrict the feed pump a bit to keep it from going crazy, it's back to skimming on the dryer side. It's pulling 2.5 to 5gal a day now. I need to get an ATO on this tank ASAP before I forget to turn off the manual top off

Tank looks clear from the front but still rather cloudy in the 8ft dimension.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 04/25/2017 at 01:04 PM.
Unread 04/28/2017, 11:19 AM   #272
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Tank measured out at 0ppm ammonia. Haven't taken the tests past that yet but I did re-dose 10ml of lab grade Ammonium Hydroxide (30%).

Skimmer is running very dry now, probably too dry. I'm going to leave it alone for now though.

Other than that I haven't made much progress this week. I'm going to try to get an ATO on it tonight and my focus for next week will be getting the 2nd QT up and running.

The tank is also noticeably clearer in the 8ft dimension.

Unread 04/28/2017, 01:49 PM   #273
jason2459
Registered Member

I'm loving that skimmer. Everything is looking great so far.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 02:34 PM   #274
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I'm loving that skimmer. Everything is looking great so far.
Thanks! The skimmer is awesome! I've been slowly adjusting it wetter by a small turn per day. My only experience with these prior to this one was one model larger from this that didn't have the transparent body so you couldn't see what was going on inside it. The amount of fine bubbles in the body is crazy, they go from about an inch from the bottom all the way up. It may not have the largest air intake out there but it sure is producing very fine bubbles. I'm sure once she's loaded down it will only get better. It did come with an ozone generator but i'm not sure if I am going to use it. I've had a lot of success with biopellets and have a large piece of 8" clear pvc that would make a great biopellet reactor capable of the feedrates.

Unread 04/29/2017, 11:21 AM   #275
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

It's always funny seeing a skimmer taller than I am. Glad to see it's still skimming something..
Any progress on the BTA tanks?