Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2021, 03:12 AM   #1
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Hammer heads died

My large hammer has just lost 3 heads and I can't explain why. The remaining heads all seem OK as do the other corals in the tank. The only difference has been the addition of a new wavemaker to replace a broken pump. The new wavemaker creates a nice rocking motion on the hammers with the waves, this is new as the old pumps were a continuous pump with no waves. Other than that there is no difference. Should I take it out and "cut" the dead heads off? Or leave it? Thanks
Oh one other thing I have changed is the daily addition of 10mls of red sea ab+ this has only been for 4 days so far.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

gareth.hubbarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2021, 05:36 PM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

Leave it. I've regularly had new heads grow off the stalks.

Unread 01/20/2021, 08:01 PM   #3
MarAquatic
Registered Member

Agreed hammers and frogs grow heads from stalks torches not so much

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2021, 09:27 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Definitely leave them, even for 3-5 months. And if you can track down any 'popped heads,' put them in a shallow glass dish that won't let them blow away under the rockwork, and put them in good light: they can actually start growing new skeleton, just as tissue left behind in the old skeletons can grow new heads, given good conditions. Hew as close to the parameters in my sig line, steady on, and you stand a chance. It also works for maze brain, frog, and torch.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote