Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2015, 07:19 AM   #1
kenny5130
Registered Member

how to attach corals to rock

I have some leather corals with a stem and I just stick the stem into a hole in my live rock to attach. How do you attach frags that have the round piece of rock at it's base ? I am wondering how you anchor these to rock. For now, I just stick them in the sand.

kenny5130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 07:22 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

If they are already attached to rock or rubble and want to attach the rubble to a piece of rock you can use super glue GEL

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 07:59 AM   #3
Lizzy_lray
Registered Member

Yeah there is a great underwater glue on bulk reef supply I've heard it works well. Either that or you could attach it to rubble then then wait until it grows on the desired rock.

Current Tank Info: Established is December 2015 20 gal high nano reef. A beautiful mix of softies, LPS, SPS mix i love different textures and movements
Lizzy_lray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 08:06 AM   #4
JammyBirch
Aquaria Engineering

i just got into this this weekend...not fun. What i found to work the best was to remove the frag from the frag plug and attach it to a small piece of rubble...then attach the rubble to the rock work in the tank. This greatly reduces the handling of the frag and allows the frag to properly setup on the new rubble. The other advantage to this is that fitting the rubble on the rock work does not have to be glued right away, this lets you place it in different areas of the tank so you can find a spot that works best for you and the coral.

Trying to hold the frag on the rock work and gluing it or putting glue on frag and then trying to place it and hold it until the glue sets up really stinks...

I'm a newb to this but like the rubble manuever better.

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon cube
JammyBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 08:09 AM   #5
CStrickland
Registered Member

Try searching the forum for the "sandwich" method. Layers of 2part epoxy and superglue work really well. There's a lot of threads on this.

CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 09:41 AM   #6
brianr24
Registered Member

I just went through this this mourning.I bought a Kenya tree that is attached on fairly large snail shell. Well my stupid hermits keep knocking it off into sandbed. I super glued (gel) it to d rd y rock I have that was dry and never in the tank yet then placed that on existing rock work.it seems it's going to work

brianr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 11:14 AM   #7
scooter31707
Registered Member

I use Reef Glue made by Seachem, never had a problem with it. Also works under water.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 11:34 AM   #8
Rustyprop
Registered Member

Does anyone use Waterweld by J&B?
Is it reef safe?

Rustyprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 12:59 PM   #9
homer1475
Registered Member

I like to use the 2 part epoxy and super glue method.

The super glue holds the epoxy to the rubble or frag plug while the epoxy dries. Also the 2 part epoxy works better on rough surfaces then on a smooth surface like a frag plug.

As a side note, If I'm keeping my frag on the plug and want it on my rock, I use a pair of wire cutters and snip the plug end off and glue/epoxy the round disk to my rockwork.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 01:21 PM   #10
smittysmith2
Registered Member

Which brand of reef glue is best? Eco Tech highly touts theirs. I don't see where it offers any advantages to what y'all are suggesting.

smittysmith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 02:18 PM   #11
scooter31707
Registered Member

Like I said eariler, I use Seachem Reef Glue. I haven't used any other glue. It's fine for what I need it for and thats attaching coral to whatever. I don't even take my rock out the water, I just put the glue on the base of the coral and place it on the rock location and hold for about 5-10 seconds, Done, that simple.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 03:13 PM   #12
CafeReef
Registered Member

I just used Instant Ocean HoldFast last night with the "sandwich method" mentioned above with my Kenya Tree with the frag plate still attached with great success. I couldnt be more happy with the outcome and the putty/epoxy will eventually be covered with coraline or the coral itself.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2499366

Unread 04/27/2015, 03:18 PM   #13
GMay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyprop View Post
Does anyone use Waterweld by J&B?
Is it reef safe?
I use it and it works well. Even costs less. I tested it because it said it was safe for potable water applications and have been happy with it ever since.

GMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 04:27 PM   #14
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter31707 View Post
Like I said eariler, I use Seachem Reef Glue. I haven't used any other glue. It's fine for what I need it for and thats attaching coral to whatever. I don't even take my rock out the water, I just put the glue on the base of the coral and place it on the rock location and hold for about 5-10 seconds, Done, that simple.
Why pay twice the price for super glue from your LFS when you can buy it at the local convenience store for half the price?? All your buying is cyanoacrylate, super glue. It is a bit thicker, but that's about it. Loctite super glue gel is the same thing.

If you do plan on using regular super glue, just make sure its the gel kind. The regular watery super glue will just cure to fast, and will make a huge mess in your tank.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 07:36 PM   #15
Mythicalelf
Registered Member

I either use the sandwich method or just super glue gel.

Mythicalelf is offline   Reply With Quote