Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2017, 11:16 AM   #1
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

Difficulty of keeping a Squilla empusa?

Is there any info on their care? I am able to obtain one.

Mr. Manty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 11:58 AM   #2
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

If you happen to successfully keep it, I’d love to see pics and read about it!

Puffer, octopus, and mantis shrimp fanatic!
Hadla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

I would say keep the tank sub tropical temps, a really deep sand bed will be a must considering where these mantises are found. I would think reef tank params. If you aren't getting them from saltybottomreef, check them out. $22 and they have great customer service. Good luck and post pics when you get it

Bobbitworm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

Squilla empusa occurs from Maine to the Caribbean and therefore populations experience many different temperatures. You need to consider where the animal is from and the time of year to keep them at the appropriate temperature. I have found that it is best to keep them at the lower end of the temperature scale. If you don't know what the water temperature is where and when the S empusa were collected 15 to 21 C is a good place to start.

S. empusa can't burrow in clean sand and they don't produce a lot of mucus like lysiosquillids which would allow them to stabilize burrow walls. They typically burrow in muddy substrates that have some texture. Given that it is difficult to create such conditions in the home aquarium I don't recommend keeping Squilla in a deep sand bed unless you have experience maintaining systems with a lot of organic material. Squilla will usually live in pvc burrows and this is probably the best burrow to provide them.

Squilla are not as long lived as gonodactylids and lysiosquillids generally survive only a year or two in the aquarium.

Diet should be varied. They will eat shrimp, crabs, pile worms and even thin shelled clams.

Roy

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote