Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2015, 07:35 PM   #1651
cal_stir
Registered Member

Things I did to beat Ostreopsis Ovata that worked or at least helped.
Somewhat in order.

-No water changes.
-Manual removal....blowing off rocks and corals and vacuuming.
-Got microscope to ID and verify progress.
-10uM filter socks.
-Removed sand bed.
-Dirtied up the water....raised po4 to .03ppm and no3 to 5ppm from 0.
-Allowed green algae and cyano to grow.
-Added many diverse forms of plankton and cleanup crew.... from 1/2 dozen different suppliers.
-Started culturing and dosing phytoplankton and copepods.
-After I couldn't find anymore dinos I used chemiclean to remove the cyano.
-Installed a new shallow sand bed....caribsea seaflor special.
-Began loving the hobby again.

NOTE1: early on I was dosing beneficial bacteria but stopped and haven't added any since.
NOTE2: I used algaex to try to rid bubble algae that decimated my ecosystem and brought on my dino bloom.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 10:14 AM   #1652
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
Things I did to beat Ostreopsis Ovata that worked or at least helped.
Somewhat in order.

-No water changes.
-Manual removal....blowing off rocks and corals and vacuuming.
-Got microscope to ID and verify progress.
-10uM filter socks.
-Removed sand bed.
-Dirtied up the water....raised po4 to .03ppm and no3 to 5ppm from 0.
-Allowed green algae and cyano to grow.
-Added many diverse forms of plankton and cleanup crew.... from 1/2 dozen different suppliers.
-Started culturing and dosing phytoplankton and copepods.
-After I couldn't find anymore dinos I used chemiclean to remove the cyano.
-Installed a new shallow sand bed....caribsea seaflor special.
-Began loving the hobby again.

NOTE1: early on I was dosing beneficial bacteria but stopped and haven't added any since.
NOTE2: I used algaex to try to rid bubble algae that decimated my ecosystem and brought on my dino bloom.
The 10um filter socks will capture the dinos we can't see in the water?

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 11:36 AM   #1653
s2nhle
Registered Member

Wow. Great. Thank you for sharing. My Dino was appeared since I started dosing voka. I then stopped the voka dosing and it faked away. I keep my routine water change biweekly. Currently, I am running GFO reactor and dosing vinegar mixed with voka and RODI water. So far so good.

s2nhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 11:57 AM   #1654
natas
Registered Member

got a source for the 10um filter socks?

natas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 12:33 PM   #1655
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
The 10um filter socks will capture the dinos we can't see in the water?
Yes, Ostreopsis is @ 40uM in size.
Some species a little smaller but 10uM should catch them all.

Unread 08/28/2015, 12:36 PM   #1656
Dfee
Registered Member

Hmm. How quickly does a sock like that clog and overflow?

Dfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 12:39 PM   #1657
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natas View Post
got a source for the 10um filter socks?
I got mine here.
http://www.filterbag.com/cart.php?m=product_custom_list&customListIds=5|42%2C6|48%2C8|69%2C7|74%2C&customListId[7]=74

Unread 08/28/2015, 06:31 PM   #1658
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfee View Post
Hmm. How quickly does a sock like that clog and overflow?
I get 2 days but I imagine it would be one day if you use the VSV method.

Unread 08/30/2015, 12:41 PM   #1659
Dfee
Registered Member

Ahhhhhh crap. Was doing so good I thought. I was siphoning just a small dusting of them every two days or so. But yesterday I moved some rock work to create better flow throughout and BAM!! Huge Dino bloom. Looks like I'll try the small micron sock and get more pods. You guys been using algae barn, correct?

Unread 08/30/2015, 01:18 PM   #1660
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Ahhhhhh crap. Was doing so good I thought. I was siphoning just a small dusting of them every two days or so. But yesterday I moved some rock work to create better flow throughout and BAM!! Huge Dino bloom. Looks like I'll try the small micron sock and get more pods. You guys been using algae barn, correct?
Ya I used algae barn but I really liked reefcleaners pods and pods+
http://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/pods

Unread 08/30/2015, 08:13 PM   #1661
blcktitanium
Registered Member

so is this dino on my rocks or diatom... I really can't tell the difference. Also, my tank just finished cycling and I have no livestock whatsoever in my tank. However, I will be receiving my cleanup crew via mail tomorrow and I heard dino will kill the snails....

I started running the lights like 4 days ago and thats when it starting showing up it started out with very little an one or two rocks now its on multiple rocks not on the sand or glass just the rocks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150830_164313.jpg (37.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20150830_164408.jpg (42.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20150830_164321.jpg (39.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20150830_164349.jpg (39.8 KB, 37 views)
blcktitanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2015, 09:03 PM   #1662
karimwassef
Registered Member

Has anyone had dinos on rocks only with sand in the tank?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2015, 10:43 PM   #1663
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Has anyone had dinos on rocks only with sand in the tank?
I have them on the glass only, with sand and rocks.
(Now that I've said that, watch them spread to everything)
hth
Ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2015, 10:44 PM   #1664
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blcktitanium View Post
so is this dino on my rocks or diatom... I really can't tell the difference. Also, my tank just finished cycling and I have no livestock whatsoever in my tank. However, I will be receiving my cleanup crew via mail tomorrow and I heard dino will kill the snails....

I started running the lights like 4 days ago and thats when it starting showing up it started out with very little an one or two rocks now its on multiple rocks not on the sand or glass just the rocks.
Too blurry for me to tell, but you are at exactly the right time for a diatom bloom. It's normal, if not expected, to have a big diatom bloom as the cycle ends. Unless there's something really unusual about your rocks or sand, I'd bet on diatoms.

hth
Ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Unread 08/30/2015, 10:48 PM   #1665
blcktitanium
Registered Member

nothing unusual about the rocks and sand that I know of its figi dry rock and tropic edens life reefflakes... Thanks for the help on the id....

blcktitanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2015, 08:54 AM   #1666
natas
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry to see this Dfree. Your Dino bloom looks identical the one I have fought. Do you know what type of Dino you have?

BTW my initial bloom started when I added a Diamond Goby to my tank. Once that started I could never get rid of the dino. I ended up breaking the tank down and starting over.

Unread 08/31/2015, 09:04 AM   #1667
Dfee
Registered Member

Thanks for the encouraging words. Ha! I think mine started when I added two giant pieces of dry rock in my tank. What methods did you try before you gave up?

Unread 08/31/2015, 09:37 AM   #1668
natas
Registered Member

I tried the following:

Lights out multiple times - Worked until lights came back on
H2O2 dosing with lights out - No difference
Daily sandbed cleaning - worked everytime for 2 hours lol
Cuprisorb - Worked at first but maybe my imagination
No water changes
Lots of water changes - Made them worse
GFO - made them worse

I need to actually explain my situation a little. I did actually defeat the dino before taking the tank down. The way I did this was turn off skimming and stop water changes. Basically I neglected my tank for 6 months. The only thing I did was feed the fish and topoff. The unfortunate outcome was a loss of all SPS corals.

I now have a new 260G tank that is around 3 months old. I re-used my rock and put new sand in it. Cycle was short. I now appear to have the same crap on my sand bed but I am hoping its because my phosphates are high (0.1). Right now I am not going to worry about it because its not that bad. Once I get my phosphates to a good range (0.05 - 0.02) and still have the issue I will worry. Right now I am waiting on a new skimmer that is properly sized. Once I get it I will run it along with Carbon dosing.

Unread 08/31/2015, 09:37 AM   #1669
Dfee
Registered Member

And no I.d. No microscope

Unread 08/31/2015, 11:47 AM   #1670
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

Dfee, those kind of look like diatoms. Do they go away at night and return the next day after a few hours of light?

PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2015, 01:08 PM   #1671
Dfee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
Dfee, those kind of look like diatoms. Do they go away at night and return the next day after a few hours of light?

Some do, some don't. After removing skimmer, no water changes, and more feeding, I have gha, diatoms, Dino's, and cyano.

I decided to go to a place I haven't been before in Chicago to get some pods, so trying that method now

The guy there actually mentioned a Dino Filter you can buy. I'm trying to find it on the internet now . Never heard of it before.

The picture was taken just now about 1 hour before lights come on. I also did a siphoning 24 hrs before the pic was taken.

So what's the consensus on siphoning? Leave the Dino's alone or siphon into filter sock in sump like I've been doing?

Unread 08/31/2015, 01:14 PM   #1672
Dfee
Registered Member

Also my reasoning for believe that at least some of the percentage of that rusty colored crap is dinos because;

horrible coralline even though good alk mag and ca

Deaths

Photosynthetic

If I don't siphon, it will get long and stringy

Zoas look horrible as you can see

Unread 08/31/2015, 01:23 PM   #1673
natas
Registered Member

Those have to be the same strain as what I have/had. Mine look identical. I bet if you don't siphon them and leave them alone to grow more they will then start to form strings that rise up and get bubbles.

Mine do disappear at night and appear in the same exact spots almost every morning

Unread 08/31/2015, 02:19 PM   #1674
cal_stir
Registered Member

Dfee, I was where you are at now, I removed the sand bed to get past it, siphoned it out slowly over a week or so. I found it was futile siphoning the sand.

Unread 08/31/2015, 04:04 PM   #1675
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Some do, some don't. After removing skimmer, no water changes, and more feeding, I have gha, diatoms, Dino's, and cyano.
Good grief! I guess I'll have to stop whinging about my tank issues now. That's unusual actually, most of us seem to have only dinos, or dinos and cyano. Do you have the typical 0 nitrates/phosphates?

Quote:
The guy there actually mentioned a Dino Filter you can buy. I'm trying to find it on the internet now . Never heard of it before.
I don't see anything on a quick google. Maybe he meant diatom filter? Any 5 or 10 micron filter sock will catch dinos. They clog up within hours though. I've tried filter floss and it doesn't seem to help much. I use it and carbon when I'm scraping the glass to hopefully keep the toxins down.

Quote:
So what's the consensus on siphoning? Leave the Dino's alone or siphon into filter sock in sump like I've been doing?
Can't hurt. Didn't seem to help me much. I agree with the people above who thought that not all dinos detach from the glass, and that they leave some kind of chemical marker/cyst to return to the same places. I looked at my tank in the dark and I still see dinos. There are definitely 'bad spots' where it's much worse. I tried changing the flow, too. No results. Probably species dependent.

What does seem to help in my tank:
-adding pods
-adding bacteria (ideally from someone else's sand, rock, skimmate. do NOT recycle your tank's skimmate. I'm looking to add a bunch of good sand too)
-feeding phyto heavily
-no water changes
-reduced skimming
-carbon when disturbing dinos

hth
Ivy