Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/01/2015, 08:01 AM   #301
Bpb
Registered Member

I need a couple of these regulators in my life. Looks like I can't get away with building one for any less than 500 though, based on ebay links currently up of the recommended brands in the original post.

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2015, 11:56 AM   #302
alanle
Registered Member

Any new builds guys?

alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2015, 04:46 PM   #303
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanle View Post
Any new builds guys?
Not new, but will finally be getting mine running on my new build (300g). Between this thread and the Masterflex thread, I have what I think is one heck of a system to get going.

Geo624 Reactor modified lid for Masterflex effluent exit
Masterflex Peristaltic pump for effluent control
Alanle Special dual stage regulator with Burkett solenoid, and Hoke Needle Valve.

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2015, 02:15 PM   #304
alanle
Registered Member

Looking sweet Mike!

Unread 05/13/2015, 07:18 AM   #305
lighthouze08
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janes_mw View Post
Not new, but will finally be getting mine running on my new build (300g). Between this thread and the Masterflex thread, I have what I think is one heck of a system to get going.

Geo624 Reactor modified lid for Masterflex effluent exit
Masterflex Peristaltic pump for effluent control
Alanle Special dual stage regulator with Burkett solenoid, and Hoke Needle Valve.

What tubing size are you using for your easyload head? i have the same head without the model number on it so i'm not sure of the tube size

thanks

Unread 05/13/2015, 08:17 AM   #306
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouze08 View Post
What tubing size are you using for your easyload head? i have the same head without the model number on it so i'm not sure of the tube size

thanks
Mine needs the LS15 or LS24 which is the High performance tubing. I bought LS24. It matters on what the head needs. Does it say LS15 or LS24?

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
Unread 05/13/2015, 11:43 AM   #307
lighthouze08
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janes_mw View Post
Mine needs the LS15 or LS24 which is the High performance tubing. I bought LS24. It matters on what the head needs. Does it say LS15 or LS24?
Mine doesn't say the size, i got L/S 15 but it seems a bit too big for it. I bet it would fit any other size except 15 and 24

This is my setup

Unread 05/13/2015, 11:55 AM   #308
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongong View Post
Nice tank Alan!

By the way, what do you recommend for a check valve between needle valve and reactor?

Yes having a check valve there is a must. You will get some back flow when the regulator is off.

Unread 05/13/2015, 12:59 PM   #309
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouze08 View Post
Mine doesn't say the size, i got L/S 15 but it seems a bit too big for it. I bet it would fit any other size except 15 and 24

This is my setup

It may need LS17. Ask TKRacer in the Masterflex Thread

Unread 05/13/2015, 01:54 PM   #310
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Mine uses LS17...

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2015, 06:54 AM   #311
lighthouze08
Registered Member

Thanks guys, i swap the head out for the one using L/S 15 tubing.

Unread 05/22/2015, 09:48 AM   #312
africangrey
Registered Member

Marinedepot is selling brand new dual stage regulators from Aquamaxx for $135, is any good.
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_...FICORE-vi.html

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2015, 10:27 AM   #313
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by africangrey View Post
Marinedepot is selling brand new dual stage regulators from Aquamaxx for $135, is any good.
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_...FICORE-vi.html

It's a dual gauge not dual stage.

Unread 05/31/2015, 04:46 PM   #314
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

I was overwhelmed by the great information that I got on this and other threads so I asked ct_vol for help. He gave me some good information that was specific to my situation but then I asked him if he would build me a unit.

He told me that he had a few projects going and that he would be willing to let me buy one of them. I told him what I was looking for and the price range that I wanted to work in. He gave me a few choices. I picked a dual stage stainless steel unit and we agreed on a price.

He told me how long it should take and he went off pulling it together for me. As he was doing his work, I decided to go with an Aquarium Plant digital regulator instead of a needle valve so he offered to send it on to AP when he got finish with his part.

He called AP to make sure that the fittings that he used would work on the digital unit. He got his part done as described and on budget and it arrived at AP without any issues.

Talking to the guy at Aquarium Plant, he felt that the ct_vol unit was a very good one. After talking to me for a while, he suggested that I get a remote unit that I could mount on the wall so I went for it.

The whole setup arrived and looks great! I have held off on posting this because it is taking a lot longer than I thought that it would to get other parts of my system finished. I wanted to show it working.

I decided not to wait on posting this and will add updates as I get the system finished. Anyway, I am very happy with what I got.

Thank you CT_VOL and AP

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2015, 04:54 PM   #315
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herring_fish View Post

I was overwhelmed by the great information that I got on this and other threads so I asked ct_vol for help. He gave me some good information that was specific to my situation but then I asked him if he would build me a unit.

He told me that he had a few projects going and that he would be willing to let me buy one of them. I told him what I was looking for and the price range that I wanted to work in. He gave me a few choices. I picked a dual stage stainless steel unit and we agreed on a price.

He told me how long it should take and he went off pulling it together for me. As he was doing his work, I decided to go with an Aquarium Plant digital regulator instead of a needle valve so he offered to send it on to AP when he got finish with his part.

He called AP to make sure that the fittings that he used would work on the digital unit. He got his part done as described and on budget and it arrived at AP without any issues.

Talking to the guy at Aquarium Plant, he felt that the ct_vol unit was a very good one. After talking to me for a while, he suggested that I get a remote unit that I could mount on the wall so I went for it.

The whole setup arrived and looks great! I have held off on posting this because it is taking a lot longer than I thought that it would to get other parts of my system finished. I wanted to show it working.

I decided not to wait on posting this and will add updates as I get the system finished. Anyway, I am very happy with what I got.

Thank you CT_VOL and AP

That regulator is not stainless steel. The gauges are 2.5" in diameter. I suggest using a 2.5" cga320 nipple so the high pressure gauge does not rub against the tank's knob. Also this nipple is alloy aluminum. It's pressure rating is much lower than steel units.

Unread 05/31/2015, 10:40 PM   #316
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

It's a Smith Silverline 321. That's stainless and has 2 1/2" gauges. I agree with needing a longer nipple which I assure you is stainless as well, hence the SS stamp on the nut... AP made the box. No help there.

Appreciate the endorsement herring, though unnecessary. Just trying to help you out...

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
Unread 05/31/2015, 10:58 PM   #317
alanle
Registered Member

How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_vol View Post
It's a Smith Silverline 321. That's stainless and has 2 1/2" gauges. I agree with needing a longer nipple which I assure you is stainless as well, hence the SS stamp on the nut... AP made the box. No help there.

Appreciate the endorsement herring, though unnecessary. Just trying to help you out...

I see. From the picture the nipple looks like alloy aluminum. Stainless steel regulators have a 316 SS label on the gauge dials. Like the one shown in this link (zoom into the gauge and you will see it).
http://www.smithequipment.com/files/...Regulators.pdf

This regulator might be the brass version or maybe its gauges were swapped with non-stainless steel.

I have the same regulator and it's brass.

Unread 05/31/2015, 11:08 PM   #318
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Yeah. I don't doubt it was parted together, as I got it from a local weld shop. Their distributor had a few "gently used regulators" for sale. I got a nice SGT 500 and HPT 500 too. Still trying to get all the parts I need at the price I want to pay to finish them up though... Finally got the metering valves.

Unread 05/31/2015, 11:16 PM   #319
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

For this one, did you just use a 1/8" NPT to 1/4" Tube adapter to go to your metering valve?

Unread 06/01/2015, 07:22 AM   #320
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

I hate to use bad English but that body sure don’t look aluminum to me. You just can’t beat that look! Before he shipped it, I looked up the prints on the shape of the body to make sure.

CT_Vol told me about the separate gauges before I decided on that build and the price. I had a choice.

That was just a dry fit just for the picture. It will be a while before I finish the fittings, clean off the Teflon from the bottle and put it together for real.

Thanks again.

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2015, 08:27 AM   #321
d2mini
Registered Member

Hey guys, need some help with finding the last little bits!
Here is what I have so far.
I know I need a solenoid valve... can i get some help with finding one?
What else do I still need? Some kind of adapter to connect the elbow to the metering valve?

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.

Last edited by d2mini; 06/06/2015 at 08:33 AM.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2015, 08:47 PM   #322
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Which Hoke metering valve did you go with? Looks like 1315G4Y? Beside the solenoid, you'll need a 1/8" NPT to Tube adapter to connect from your elbow to metering valve. You'll need another tube adapter to go from your metering valve to bubble counter. The part #'s will depend on the size of your metering valve.

Unread 06/06/2015, 09:21 PM   #323
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_vol View Post
which hoke metering valve did you go with? Looks like 1315g4y? Beside the solenoid, you'll need a 1/8" npt to tube adapter to connect from your elbow to metering valve. You'll need another tube adapter to go from your metering valve to bubble counter. The part #'s will depend on the size of your metering valve.
1335g4y

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2015, 03:34 PM   #324
Dean Graham
Registered Member

Hi Alanle
I've just finished Masterflex pump forum an now found this one great reading
I live in Australia and would like to send you a Pm but not allowed yet I think I need more than 10 posts
I like the set up you made in post 195 the dual outlet one could you email me so I can get some more information from you its
deangraham@tpg.com.au
Regards
Dean

Dean Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2015, 05:10 PM   #325
Heliman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Graham View Post
Hi Alanle
I've just finished Masterflex pump forum an now found this one great reading
I live in Australia and would like to send you a Pm but not allowed yet I think I need more than 10 posts
I like the set up you made in post 195 the dual outlet one could you email me so I can get some more information from you its
deangraham@tpg.com.au
Regards
Dean
I also live in Aus and I would dearly like to buy one of the high end units Alenle has for sale. But the problem is that the USA connector will not fit the Aus CO2 tanks and I have just about gone nuts trying to find an adaptor from USA to Aus thread.

Got any clues ?

Heliman is offline   Reply With Quote