Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2018, 07:26 PM   #1
MattTheFishNerd
Registered Member

Duncans Closed Up

So I've had these duncans for a few months. I initially got them with 6 heads. A couple weeks ago two babies appeared on one of the heads. (yay now there's technically 8) Today I walked into my room (where my tank is) and the duncans were all closed up and were sliming alot. They have a different texture on them like they're shriveled up all along their structure. It looks almost like scales. I've been home for three hours and they haven't improved. I've blown off the slime and it just came back.

I think it is possible that one of my shrimp, either my peppermint or my skunk, has been messing with them. I see them on the coral all the time but i never see any visual damage.

My other idea is that this is related to these two new heads. I've heard of euphyllias doing this when they split, but wasn't sure if duncans did it as well.

Have y'all had shrimp mess with your duncans or is this likely normal growth behavior?

IMG_6361[1].jpg

10g FR 2006-2011 • 36g FR 2011-2017 • 32g BioCube 2018-Present

Current Tank Info: 32 Gallon BioCube w/ gross stock lights and Coral Life skimmer, 2 Clowns, Royal Gramma, Pygmy Dwarf Angel, Watchman Goby
MattTheFishNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 07:37 PM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Do you ever target feed your Duncans? If so your shrimp may have made the connection between the Duncans and food. Even if they happen to catch some food from the water column the shrimp will stop at no end to retrieve it. What your seeing right now might just be the tail end of this behavior. Keep an eye on em.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 07:41 PM   #3
MattTheFishNerd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
Do you ever target feed your Duncans? If so your shrimp may have made the connection between the Duncans and food. Even if they happen to catch some food from the water column the shrimp will stop at no end to retrieve it.
I used to feed a lot more often, but now it’s maybe once a week. My shrimp go nuts when I feed any of my corals, trying to pry open their mouths to get some food. My Goby does too strangely enough, minus the prying open part.

10g FR 2006-2011 • 36g FR 2011-2017 • 32g BioCube 2018-Present

Current Tank Info: 32 Gallon BioCube w/ gross stock lights and Coral Life skimmer, 2 Clowns, Royal Gramma, Pygmy Dwarf Angel, Watchman Goby
Unread 05/22/2018, 07:44 PM   #4
MattTheFishNerd
Registered Member

Maybe this picture will be better quality
0608AEC4-4B3D-47A3-AECA-6578ACD72734.jpg

Unread 05/23/2018, 01:26 PM   #5
Fourstars
Registered Member.

They do that from time to time. I would only worry if they close up for more than a couple of days.

Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 01:37 PM   #6
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Here is a picture of mine, he was closed up for a full day but is plenty happy.IMG_0081.jpg

Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duncan, duncans, lps, lps coral