Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2018, 05:53 PM   #1
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

Austrailian Moseleya Coral?

There is a really beautiful oddity at our LFS right now. They were kind enough to place it on hold for me while I do some research on it... but I'm finding very little. What pieces I see say:

1. "Hardy"
2. Lower flow
3. Lower light
4. Can feed pieces of shrimp directly to mouths

I find it strange though that there is so little about them, especially if they're so easy to care for. It does say that they are fairly slow growers... but this thing is pretty big. Maybe about 6-7 inches in diameter and purple & green in color.

Does anyone have any experience with these or have a good reference I can look at on them?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Australian Moseleya Coral.jpg (35.4 KB, 75 views)

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Deluxe, Nano Max, 55g Observation, 20g QT
SereneAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

Never had that coral but I would think care would be as any other normal LPS coral. Need to feed something small like mysis, not big pieces of what I call "shrimp". These corals feed more at night, so look when lights go out and see if feeder tentacles come out. Then it will accept food easier.

Mike Ordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2018, 09:12 PM   #3
birdfish
Premium Member

I would say it doesn't look like the Moseleya I am used to seeing (probably latistellata). Which tents to have tall narrow walls between polyps, unlike the thick ones shown in the thumbnail above. Also the size and length of the areas between walls above is much larger than anything I have seen on Moseys. Which are like oversized Favia or so. They often look more like a Favia with tall narrow walls separating polyps. Veron has a good pic or two as always in his Corals of Australia and Indo-Pacific.

birdfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 03:09 PM   #4
birdfish
Premium Member

Just to correct the above, I meant Favites, not Favia. Shared walls, not single standalone. I got my Favis mixed up momentarily. I'm all better now.

birdfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2018, 09:01 AM   #5
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdfish View Post
I would say it doesn't look like the Moseleya I am used to seeing (probably latistellata). Which tents to have tall narrow walls between polyps, unlike the thick ones shown in the thumbnail above. Also the size and length of the areas between walls above is much larger than anything I have seen on Moseys. Which are like oversized Favia or so. They often look more like a Favia with tall narrow walls separating polyps. Veron has a good pic or two as always in his Corals of Australia and Indo-Pacific.
I looked around at some other pictures and I agree... The walls on this coral seem much thicker and the wells are deeper. It tends to look somewhat like pictures i find of Goniastrea?

As we are getting started with corals I find myself frustrated by the number of seemingly irrelevant and unhelpful categories of corals. Misnaming seems common. Is there a reference guide somewhere that really breaks them all down? (Something less scientific than looking at it under a microscope?)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Deluxe, Nano Max, 55g Observation, 20g QT
Unread 11/17/2018, 06:00 PM   #6
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

Here is a better picture now that it's home. It's stunning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Unread 11/18/2018, 01:25 AM   #7
rffanat1c
Registered Member

Seriously....it is gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rffanat1c is offline   Reply With Quote