Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2017, 11:53 PM   #1
Mikepl84
Registered Member

Where to buy corals in nj, pa nyc

Can anyone recomend any good Reef stores or online vendonrs, i'm new to the hobby i have setup a 40 gal quarentine tank where i will quarentene everything , even coral as i'm setting up a 300 gal tank with 100 gallon sump , there is a lot of $$$ going into this. just trying to feel out where you guys get your stuff from. i'm in north nj about 20 mins from NYC

Mikepl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 03:21 AM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

As I live way upstate(think near Canadian border) I have no idea whats in NYC, but if you ping reefwreak he could be able to tell you. Quite a few NYC reefers around, just keep an eye out for them.

As far as livestock(fish), Live aquaria always has decent prices and stock lists. I like Austin Aqua Farms for some nice LPS's, Blue Zoo Aquatics has a nice selection also.

Just keep in mind that if you plan on buying online, its often times better to wait until your ordering a couple things as shipping overnight can sometimes be pretty pricey, and most places have free shipping after you meet a certain minimum $$ amount.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 07:40 AM   #3
Breadman03
New Old School

Where to buy corals in nj, pa nyc

You live in a pretty good spot! NE PA is really lacking, but here's my map of places. Absolutely Fish will probably be your #1 spot. Manhattan Aquarium is good, but tolls will probably make it a "when in the city" stop. Something Fishy is pretty good, probably on par with AF.

https://www.google.com/maps/placelis...UxcDmGwQBHV2Ec

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 07:48 AM   #4
tjm9331
Registered Member

High Tide Coral on Long Island is one of the best places in New York to get Corals, wide selection, great prices and Justin the owner is amazing and really knows his stuff!

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 07:49 AM   #5
albano
SALTWATER since '73

The Reef Shoppe
1741 COLDEN AVE
BRONX, NY 10462

Once you've been there, you'll never want to shop anywhere else!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 08:52 AM   #6
dlondono
Registered Member

MikePL84, buy your fish from LiveAquaria and no where else.
Read about LiveAquaria's guarantee and you will see why.

For Coral, expensive pieces always check LiveAquaria first, again only online store to stand by their guarantee.

When you have an itch to just throw away money, you have to decide what your goal is, impulse buy or some super appealing colorful coral.
Many stores around, none offer any type of worthwhile guarantee.

If you are new to the hobby my best advice is to just do the rounds, find the address of all of the Saltwater shops in NJ and near you in NY and drive over to a few of them, if you are new to this, you are going to have to get it out of your system.

The Reef Shoppe in NY does often have good prices but if your specimen dies 4 days later, you are on your own but they do run sales that at times are insane. I too being from NJ can tell you that its not a quick ride. You will spend at least 3 hours there and back on a good day, not to mention tolls and after all that if your specimen dies after a few days you are SOL. This is not applicable only to this particular store, it is the norm of all stores. No store will give you a hassle free 2 week live guarantee.

If you already understand that corals grow insanely slow and can accept the frag growth process, buy your frags on Ebay, other ppl that sell frags without the hype.
Again, if you are new to this, get familiar with how this industry manipulates the buyer by branding corals, fish, miraculous equipment simply to charge a premium.
When searching online for coral, if the picture looks too good to be true, it means exactly that. Sellers edit their pictures by saturating the picture with color, its misleading but many fall for it and pay ridiculous amounts of money.

If you are not new to this, maybe it will help someone else, do still familiarize yourself with LiveAquaria, you will not regret becoming a Drfosterandsmith & LiveAquaria customer for most of your stuff.

Current Tank Info: 200g

Last edited by dlondono; 11/15/2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: adding more info to my post
dlondono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 11:11 AM   #7
Therinx
Registered Member

New York Reef Aquatic in Flushing

Therinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 02:48 PM   #8
rocsec1
Registered Member

Follow reeefers and coral swaps

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 05:50 PM   #9
Myna
Registered Member

I live in north jersey as well and go to a few different spots.

Absolutely Fish in Clifton, NJ

And if you go down by the shore:
Tropiquarium in Asbury Park
Aquarium Care Center in Asbury Park

Ocean Image Aquatics in Ledgewood NJ

I like all of them but I especially like Ocean Image Aquatics because the guy that owns the shop (Alex) is a great guy and will help you with pointers and just talk to you about your setup and what your looking for. Or wanting to accomplish. He also will work out great prices for you and will decrease prices if you buy multiple pieces. Highly recommend that place. And if you go by the shore, the Aquarium care center is better in my opinion than Tropiquarium and they have a HUGe selection. But tropiquarium is literally a minute down the street so you can check them both out if you go out that way. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 06:56 PM   #10
Breadman03
New Old School

(Adding all of these to my map list)

Unread 11/16/2017, 10:52 AM   #11
madskillz04
Registered Member

i live in Wayne NJ, try Sea Level Aquarium , you will not be disappointing, very fair and honest. the owner is great and they have a ton of stuff.

28 US Highway 46 West
Pine Brook, NJ 07058
P: (973) 227-0200
Mondays: Closed
Tuesdays: Closed
Wednesdays to Fridays: 12pm – 9pm
Saturays: 11am – 8pm
Sundays: 11am – 6pm

madskillz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 11:15 AM   #12
Therinx
Registered Member

NY Reef Aquatic web site: http://www.newyorkreefaquatic.com

I've been there, from my point of view all the livestock is in pristine condition and the guys there are friendly and helpful. First time i went there i hadn't even bought a tank yet and told them i wasn't ready just browsing and they still went out of their way to answer any questions and show me around.

Therinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 12:45 PM   #13
Eric The Clown
Registered Member

Aquarium Care Center in Ocean/Asbury Park NJ is excellent. They specialize in corals.

Eric The Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 02:18 PM   #14
Breadman03
New Old School

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillz04 View Post
i live in Wayne NJ, try Sea Level Aquarium , you will not be disappointing, very fair and honest. the owner is great and they have a ton of stuff.
So long as they aren't supplying filets to Bonefish Grille next door.

Unread 11/16/2017, 08:10 PM   #15
MAMGM
Registered Member

Took a ride to Something Fishy today. Very good selection of healthy looking fish and great selection of corals and frags which are 35% off right now

MAMGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 08:34 PM   #16
Diana A
Registered Member

Aquatic Obsession - Avenel
Feng Reef - Dunellen
Ocean Gallery - N. Plainfield
Ultimate Coral - Jackson

Unread 11/16/2017, 08:56 PM   #17
Mikepl84
Registered Member

all great suggestions. will def check these places out as i do a lot of driving around nj with my job.

Mikepl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 02:31 PM   #18
Navig8tr
Registered Member

You will be hard pressed to beat the selection at Absolutely Fish in Clifton. Very knowledgeable staff as well.

Navig8tr is offline   Reply With Quote