Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2017, 01:12 PM   #1
Xxxtremewv
Registered Member

Making return into drain? Sump question

Quick question for you experts.

Having a little trouble with a new tank set up (my first one so bear with me). The used 120g I bought has 2 overflow towers with a 3/4" return line splitting off and going to each of them, and a 1" drain coming out of both of them. The tank is sitting slightly out of level (yes I know, my fault and I didnt realize it as I rushed into this trying to move into a new house and get it all up). So the water is hitting the overflow tower on the right faster than the one on left, and the drain cant quite keep enough water going into the sump to keep up with the return pump (I have it dialed down with a gate valve something around halfway what its capable of) and it just drains that chamber before enough water drops into the sump.

So my question is, would I be fine taking the T out of the return line and having all the water going back to the tank just on that one line (which would actually probably help with pressure and head loss not having to go through a T all the way across the length of the tank and then up the tower, because that one remaining return would go straight vertical) and making the return on the right side into a drain to increase drain capability on that side? So it would end up having total of 3 drains. I would think losing one return would put too much pressure on a 3/4" return would it? The tank isnt moving THAT much water. The pump came with the tank and its rated around 1100 after the vertical

And then the second question, what would the best way to add this in be? The tank has durso standpipes on it, but there isnt enough room to add one on that 3/4 also, should I just try to make something similar work?

Thanks for any input on this!

Xxxtremewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 03:07 PM   #2
turbo5000c
Registered Member

my setup isn’t exactly the same but you could cut the pipe, add valves to each side, and tune the return as needed. this way you can

This pic was taken during the first test. I prob should of waited to paint the back. lol.

turbo5000c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 03:08 PM   #3
turbo5000c
Registered Member

Unread 11/15/2017, 03:14 PM   #4
tazzy695
Registered Member

Fist thing i would do is drain tank and level it before bigger problem come up like a cracked tank

Are u having water over flow the side of the tank at full pump power if not then what the one drain wont handel the other one will pick up

Bur either way get that tank leveled

tazzy695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 03:25 PM   #5
turbo5000c
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzy695 View Post
Fist thing i would do is drain tank and level it before bigger problem come up like a cracked tank

Are u having water over flow the side of the tank at full pump power if not then what the one drain wont handel the other one will pick up

Bur either way get that tank leveled
I totally agree. I take back my statement and say adding the valves should be an extra feature.

Unread 11/15/2017, 05:29 PM   #6
outy
Moved On

my 215g tank was not level and leaked.

I bought a plastic kiddie swimming pool and used it to drain contents, and level.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 05:31 PM   #7
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxxtremewv View Post
2 overflow towers with a 3/4" return line splitting off and going to each of them, and a 1" drain coming out of both of them.
Just like my tank. 500 gph is all you can do effectively and I still had to insulate the drains to keep them quiet under the tank.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 01:04 AM   #8
Xxxtremewv
Registered Member

Well crap, I figured that would be the overall response. From what I can tell it's well less than a 1/4" off. So definitely just need to suck it up and do it? I dont guess itll be THAT big a deal. Ideas? Sit the kiddie pool in the floor, pump (I have a nice freebie submersible pump that will move 120g+ in less than a minute or two) into that, level, and then pump water back in eh? I still have my 70g I just moved from here and the tank isnt that heavily stocked compared to what some peoples are so I can just sit livestock in there for a few minutes. Theres maybe a hundred pounds of rock in it give or take plus the 30g tank for the sump. I have been putting it off and hoping everyone tells me it will be fine but thinking itd be some huge ordeal, but maybe now that I see that idea it may not be too bad. Any other suggestions or how to go about this?

Unread 11/16/2017, 07:51 AM   #9
JTL
Registered Member

Couldn't you turn this into a Herbie, making one of your returns a full siphon and the other a safety? I would still want to level the tank. Assuming that you are going to shim the stand you may be able to leave the rock. I have used a crowbar to lift up one side of a stand before. Just enough to slide in a couple of shims.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 10:22 AM   #10
Xxxtremewv
Registered Member

I bet a pey bar would work well for that. Just has to come up a touch. Was going to get some composite shims from home depot and a couple brite trash cans. I dont think it will be too bad. I hope at least. Going to hold off on changing anything with the returns or drains u til i see hownit does when its level and hitting both drains i guess

Thanks guys! Any other tips?