Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2017, 08:03 AM   #1
spdjnky
Registered Member

New Sump and plumbing with UV Sterilizer

Hi everyone I'm working on setting up new and have an album with pictures and questions and was hoping someone could take the time to read and help me out?
thx Phil

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JxAwlxOlQ4ydflVj2

spdjnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 08:09 AM   #2
spdjnky
Registered Member

Up-Dated a few more pics
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JxAwlxOlQ4ydflVj2

Unread 11/18/2017, 06:46 PM   #3
lapin
Registered Member

I would put the ball valve between the upper and lower pipes of the UV as per instructions. The exit of the UV will go into your display tank just like the diagram. 130gph is the max you can put thru and still be sure the UV will sterilize everything passing thru. You will need some way of determining this. Less than that is ok. More is not ok as some of the UV's will crack and leak with too much pressure. Now set up your durso with "no" water going thru the UV part of your system.(All 3 valves shut). Once this is adjusted, open the exit of the UV all the way. Next open the entrance to the UV a little at a time until you get the your 130 gph or less. You will need to adjust the durso to allow for the water going thru the UV. I hope this answers some of your questions.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 07:40 PM   #4
spdjnky
Registered Member

Do you mean get the new sump and skimmer running without the UV on-line right? But all 3 valves closed no flow at all as the middle Bypass is the return? Also adjust the durso ?
Thats the part that gets me I can see where you can get the 130 gph by using the ball valves but if I need to take it off line I want a gate valve so I can leave the flow set and I can't use the Bypass valve and if I could how does that work.
Thx but I am still mixed up

Unread 11/19/2017, 07:48 AM   #5
lapin
Registered Member

Lets make this a little less complicated. The diagram shows the pump returning water to the tank with a "T" and valve for water to the UV. The UV return goes to the tank. It could also go back into your sump chamber that the pump is in. I hope this helps.

Unread 11/19/2017, 08:06 AM   #6
spdjnky
Registered Member

If I don't have to hook it back into my return line it will make things easier. As you can see in this pic I have the true union ball valves so I can take it out for cleaning and UV replacement and you can see another 1/2" line that I need to hook into the return line for refill on a water change. So if I run the output of the UV back in the sump it will make things easier but where can I put a gate valve that I have so that when I take it off line and put it back online I won't have to set the 130gph witch by the way I haven't really figured out a good way to do without a flow meter.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wiymxd3kkhdHqrWg2

Unread 11/19/2017, 08:22 AM   #7
lapin
Registered Member

You could set the flow to the UV with a gate valve by putting it in between the ball valve and the UV (on the input side of the UV). When you shut the ball valve you do not have to change any setting on the gate valve. I dont know if you have enough room to add another valve inline. You could use a ball valve instead of a gate valve. Just dont open it all the way. It will be harder to make small adjustments but could work.

Unread 11/19/2017, 08:32 AM   #8
lapin
Registered Member

To measure output you will need a 5 gal bucket. Put a hose from the UV output into the bucket. You will need to fill the bucket for lets say 1 min. If you get 1 gal in 1 min x 60 min you have 60gph. So you want to aim for 2 gal per min to be close to your 130gph max. Make sure to adjust the flow from the input side of your UV.

Unread 11/19/2017, 08:34 AM   #9
spdjnky
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DD6UHep0ZUP37lb12

The 3/4" line that is going to the bottom is the input so I screwed up because the ball valves are glued already but I can fix that. But if I put a gate valve in place of the ball valve and then put another ball valve in front of to then it would work right? and the where would be the best place to have the exit of the UV in the sump?

Unread 11/19/2017, 08:36 AM   #10
spdjnky
Registered Member

Thx because I need to do that for everything as this will be all new plumbing and I still think my return pump is borderline

Unread 11/19/2017, 09:00 AM   #11
lapin
Registered Member

"""If I put a gate valve in place of the ball valve and then put another ball valve in front of to then it would work right?"" yes

""""Where would be the best place to have the exit of the UV in the sump?"""" into the return chamber

""""I think my return pump is borderline"""" you can always get a second pump just for the UV

Unread 11/19/2017, 09:08 AM   #12
spdjnky
Registered Member

I just need to get everything to where I need it an do my math to see approx where I am at and then that all depends on what uy need as far as flow through the sump or the loop? My pump is rated 660 gph My total of 90 gal x5 = 450 gph That would be a min I would think
so as u can see I'm not sur there and I like the fact that I have the other line going to the fuge for adjustment as I think it will help
HaHa and the refugium do I go Mud or Marine Pure Ceramic Biofilter Media

Unread 11/19/2017, 09:12 AM   #13
spdjnky
Registered Member

And it's Sunday and the NFL and Nascar will rule this house later LOL

Unread 11/19/2017, 09:34 AM   #14
lapin
Registered Member

The flow thru the sump will be fine. Its the tank that needs good water movement. That is easy to fix with a power head or 2.
I dont like mud or deep sand. Too messy. Lots of rock is my choice. Easier to take out and clean off. Chaeto can be added if you want extra bio nutrient export.

Unread 11/19/2017, 09:50 AM   #15
spdjnky
Registered Member

I hear u on the rock and agree with u and the mess with the Mud I think better than sand but all the same. I am leaning towards the Marine Pure Ceramic Biofilter Media
I need to start new and was thinking about this
The Ultimate Refugium Starter Pack by AlgaeBarn

Unread 11/20/2017, 02:58 PM   #16
spdjnky
Registered Member

Here's where I'm at Did I Miss AnyThing
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2YyH2KULNRE151Mn2

Unread 11/20/2017, 03:00 PM   #17
spdjnky
Registered Member

The Ultimate Refugium Starter Pack by AlgaeBarn
And the more I think about this .........
For my 14.5 x 14 inch space it would be $300

Unread 11/20/2017, 04:24 PM   #18
lapin
Registered Member

Looks good to me

Unread 11/20/2017, 04:44 PM   #19
spdjnky
Registered Member

Thx I see now that I need a Union on the Output line of the UV and check everything for making the switch to the Sch 80 fittings and Red pvc to match the rest

Unread 11/20/2017, 05:01 PM   #20
spdjnky
Registered Member

I see that the one picture was old so new link
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2YyH2KULNRE151Mn2