Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/08/2007, 08:56 AM   #51
acarson19
Registered Member

Duh, double post, sorry

acarson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2007, 08:57 AM   #52
acarson19
Registered Member

Hey Pete,

It was nice to meet you at the Georgia Aquarium this weekend. Your tank looks great. Beautiful Angels!

Amy

acarson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2007, 01:10 PM   #53
petedoc
Premium Member

Amy, Good to hear from you! The meeting was a real treat and hearing Anthony Calfo was great. My tank is slowly progressing, but I sure do need a better camera or a better photographer! I just placed an order for two Pyramid Butterflies, a Regal Angel and a Flasher Wrasse through Tropical Fish Outlet, so I am quite excited. These will be the last fish until I decide which Trigger to add, either Pinktail or Sargassum.

Current Tank Info: 270Reef w/Chrysurus Angel,Vlamingi Tang, Atlantic Blue Tang, Dispar Anthias, Sargassum Trigger
petedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2007, 03:14 PM   #54
Von_Rahvin
Registered Member

nice looking tank. I have always been to chicken to mix angels with corals. good luck on that though!

Von_Rahvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2007, 05:53 PM   #55
petedoc
Premium Member

Yes, Angels are a gamble, but they are spectacular fish. Many large tank owners have been successful with large angels in reef tanks, but you have to have a lot of live rock to keep them satisfied and feed them adequately. My 135 has three angels and sps and lps corals, all together now for 4 years. The lemon butterfly was the biggest problem, but that resolved in a Kalkwasser overdose.

Current Tank Info: 270Reef w/Chrysurus Angel,Vlamingi Tang, Atlantic Blue Tang, Dispar Anthias, Sargassum Trigger
Unread 05/16/2007, 09:21 PM   #56
petedoc
Premium Member

Just received my new vortech today and wow this thing is a major league water mover. The fish and corals are having a good time getting used to the increased flow. I think I will try running it at about half speed for just daylight hours and shutting it off at night. Is anyone using one of these on a simple timer? I plan to upgrade when the controllers become available, but for now simple dawn to dusk might be OK. Any suggestions?

Unread 06/28/2007, 08:42 AM   #57
petedoc
Premium Member

Major Error!

I had received the last of my fish on my stocking list about 3 weeks ago, including a Regal Angel, a Pinktail Trigger and a small Clown when I noticed that the trigger looked bad. The thing ate like a pig, but color was bad. Eventually all three fish died. Within the last 48 hrs almost all of my fish in the 270 have developed the same illness, probably Marine Velvet. This is a hard way to learn the lesson about careful quarantining. This will be the last time I buy fish from Marinedepotlive. The rest of the fish for this tank have come from Tropical Fish Outlet and have done very well.

Unread 06/28/2007, 09:03 AM   #58
lunker
Registered Member

you will love that vlamingi. I bought mine at about 1 1/4", and within 5 months he was around 6 1/2", amazing growth. Nice tank, good luck.

lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2007, 01:03 PM   #59
petedoc
Premium Member

I think you are correct, the vlamingi is a great fish, but it is one of the few left after the Velvet attack and it doesn't look long for this world. I had a great group of reef safe fish for awhile.

Unread 06/28/2007, 06:52 PM   #60
Bax
Premium Member

petedoc

Very sorry to read of your losses. I just started reading this thread and was eagerly looking forward to pics of these beautiful fish. QT is a PITA but does help. Don't get discourgaed.

Current Tank Info: 150 DT/ 40B fuge/ 75g frag/ 40 g sump/ SRO XP 3000 Ext/ TUNZEs & VorTechs circulation/Dart return/ MTC Pro Cal/ UV & Oz
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2007, 07:25 PM   #61
petedoc
Premium Member

Bax, Thanks for reading the thread. The Chrysurus Angels were looking great. One had developed a yellow tail the other was clear, I was hoping they would be a pair. One is still left and looks determined to survive. We will see.

Unread 06/28/2007, 07:33 PM   #62
Bax
Premium Member

I hope it makes it

Current Tank Info: 150 DT/ 40B fuge/ 75g frag/ 40 g sump/ SRO XP 3000 Ext/ TUNZEs & VorTechs circulation/Dart return/ MTC Pro Cal/ UV & Oz
Unread 06/28/2007, 09:52 PM   #63
petedoc
Premium Member

Well I just finished a 100 gallon water change and the fish that remain alive do look better. I have also increase salinity to 1.25 We will see what tomorrow brings

Unread 06/29/2007, 09:10 PM   #64
petedoc
Premium Member

Oh well, the last Chrysurus Angel bit the dust this morning. The only remaining fish are a school of Green Chromies, a Clown and a Rabbitfish. This is really depressing. Hopefully the parasite will die off and I will be able to restock the tank in a few months. Any have experience with similar problems? I don't want to treat the tank with anything that would injure the corals and inverts, any suggestions?

Unread 06/30/2007, 01:57 AM   #65
Ithreeputt2
Registered Member

No suggestions just lots of sympothy....good luck

steve

Ithreeputt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2007, 07:14 PM   #66
petedoc
Premium Member

Well, just got back from vacation and the tank has not changed! Surprisingly all the remaining fish are alive, nothing died while I was gone. The only fish to survive the plague/marine velvet were the school of Green Chromies, the Vlamingi Tang and the the Rabbitfish. Hard to figure why these fish survived and all others were wiped out. Any thoughts on similar experiences out there? Also, when can I try adding new fish?

Unread 07/06/2007, 07:51 AM   #67
lunker
Registered Member

tangs are pretty darned hardy fish, I had a stint of bad luck with mine, but after 2 months in quarantine and copper, they all made it, and came back to perfect health, good luck

lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2007, 10:01 PM   #68
petedoc
Premium Member

Well, my second Vortech arrived and I am experimenting with location of the device. I have found that with one on each end of the tank, in opposing but offset locations, I can generate a tremendous whirlpool effect in time. I estimate my current total flow to be about the equivalent of 13,000gal/hr through the 270 gal tank. I am looking forward to the availability of the controller, manually adjusting these things gets tedious. I guess its a good thing that only a few fish are left during the tune up time, the remaining fish seem to take cover during whirlpool activities. Anyone have any suggestions on how to use a pair of Vortechs?

Unread 10/30/2007, 08:38 PM   #69
petedoc
Premium Member

Well, time to update my thread. Since I last wrote the tank now has a pair of Vortechs up and running on opposite ends of the tank in anti-synch mode. Still not sure what the optimal settings are yet. Also, replaced the Barr Aqautic Skimmer. It was too noisy and I wanted to try some else! First I bought a AquaEuroUsa 250, which was noisy and not all that impressive. Then I decided that since my new DAS EX-1 was working so well on the 135 gal tank that a Aquabee mod was a good idea. I then acquired the stuff to mod the AE-USA 250 and proceeded to cut, drill, bore, and modify the thing and attach a pair of Aquabee pumps. The result has been fantastic! This thing skims beautifully. It took a while to fine tune the standpipe output, but it now produces fantastic fluffy clouds of gunk, that fill the skimmer cup with dark brown gravy skimmate. Got to love it. Also I have begun restocking after the devastating Marine Velvet outbreak earlier this year. I have added an Atlantic Blue Tang, a six pack of Dispar Anthias and a Blue Jaw Trigger. All are doing well.

Unread 10/30/2007, 09:00 PM   #70
Bax
Premium Member

Let's see some pics!

Unread 10/30/2007, 09:44 PM   #71
petedoc
Premium Member

My skimmer mod

Unread 10/30/2007, 09:50 PM   #72
petedoc
Premium Member

My Emporer as Juvenile

Unread 12/05/2007, 07:47 PM   #73
petedoc
Premium Member

Well, much to my wife's surprise, I finished the cabinetry for the stand and hood in time for Thanksgiving!

Unread 12/05/2007, 07:47 PM   #74
petedoc
Premium Member

Well, much to my wife's surprise, I finished the cabinetry for the stand and hood in time for Thanksgiving!

Unread 12/05/2007, 07:53 PM   #75
petedoc
Premium Member

These are the sliding doors for the light cabinet. They are simple and very easy to use.