Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2013, 11:39 PM   #1
reefguy24
Registered Member.

Can't get nitrates down

JBJ 24ga nano.

Been up for about 2 months or so. Fully cycled.

I have been doing 25% water changes for the past 2 weeks, every 2 days.

I cannot get the nitrates down past 10ppm. It went down from 60ppm and over the past 2 water changes....it has not gone down past 10pp.

What am I doing wrong? A fire red shrimp went MIA about a week and a half ago.....could it be decaying under a rock somewhere?

I got a ball of chaeto in there, puri gen, chemi pure, and I only feed very lightly every single morning (each fish gets 5-6 pellets and only 2-3 pellets fall to the ground where the cleanup crew eats it)

reefguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2013, 06:29 AM   #2
terrypercula
Registered Member

How many fish do you have? And what are you testing with?

Current Tank Info: IM Nuvo Fusion 10, Kessil A160, Tunze Osmolator 3155, Ecotech Vortech MP10
terrypercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2013, 06:31 AM   #3
mannysmusic
Registered Member

Try organic carbon dosing like Vodka. Works great for me.

mannysmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Jmcgreef
Registered Member

Do you still have bioballs in the back? Something isn't right. There must be a Nitrate source somewhere.

Jmcgreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2013, 02:34 PM   #5
K Daddy
Moved On

I dont think 10ppm is ALL that bad... Well unless you wanna do SPS that is... Some of the mushrooms and softies tend to like a "dirty" tank... IMO that is...

K Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2013, 06:37 PM   #6
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

I made a biopellet reactor for my nevo 38 mantis shrimp tank. He kills things to eat and makes a mess of it. With all that waiste in the tank you would think the nitrates would be up but the nuvo skimmer pulls slime regularly and the nitrates are below my test kits ability to read them. So I would look into the nevo skimmer and the nuvo reactor they will fit in your tank and will be user friendly. This is my first time using biopellets but not my first time using a carbon source for bacteria and can same I am getting similar results with out having to dose everyday. Something you could look into.

Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, and steady is fast.

Current Tank Info: Enough to be considered an addict.
TundraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2013, 12:52 AM   #7
reefguy24
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcgreef View Post
Do you still have bioballs in the back? Something isn't right. There must be a Nitrate source somewhere.
The below picture is the middle chamber of my JBJ 24ga nano.

Tons of bio balls, and a TON of debris in the water.

I think I found the source of my nitrates....currently trying to find a skimmer that will fit the JBJ 24ga nano with the lid closed.

Thanks

Unread 11/16/2013, 06:30 AM   #8
terrypercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefguy24 View Post
The below picture is the middle chamber of my JBJ 24ga nano.

Tons of bio balls, and a TON of debris in the water.

I think I found the source of my nitrates....currently trying to find a skimmer that will fit the JBJ 24ga nano with the lid closed.

Thanks

Ever since I cleaned out my back chamber(removed refugium) and vacuumed detritus out of the back my nitrates dropped considerably. I now do it every month and change my filter media out more often. I would suggest ditching the bio balls too.

Current Tank Info: IM Nuvo Fusion 10, Kessil A160, Tunze Osmolator 3155, Ecotech Vortech MP10
terrypercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2013, 10:29 AM   #9
reefguy24
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypercula View Post
Ever since I cleaned out my back chamber(removed refugium) and vacuumed detritus out of the back my nitrates dropped considerably. I now do it every month and change my filter media out more often. I would suggest ditching the bio balls too.

I'm on vacation in Vegas now....but when I get back tomorrow I plan on vacuuming the middle chamber (via the suction pump) and removing about 1/4 of the bioballs inside.

The live rock and live sand I got should take the place of the bioballs.

I found a website that looks like they carry a ton of stuff for the JBJ 24 gallon.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/JBJ-Nano-Cube_c12.htm

anyone have any experience with them? Good or otherwise?

Unread 11/16/2013, 02:08 PM   #10
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannysmusic View Post
Try organic carbon dosing like Vodka. Works great for me.
For a tank with no skimmer, this is a terrible idea. Just dumping in a carbon source could wipe a tank out over night. There needs to be serious research done before this is ever an option.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2013, 02:13 PM   #11
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefguy24 View Post
I'm on vacation in Vegas now....but when I get back tomorrow I plan on vacuuming the middle chamber (via the suction pump) and removing about 1/4 of the bioballs inside.

The live rock and live sand I got should take the place of the bioballs.

I found a website that looks like they carry a ton of stuff for the JBJ 24 gallon.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/JBJ-Nano-Cube_c12.htm

anyone have any experience with them? Good or otherwise?
I have been keeping JBJ Nano Cubes for the last 6 years. The back chambers really need to be open with no bio balls, live rock or anything else that can catch and accumulate detritus. The giant black sponges that come with the tank can be taken out and thrown away.

I made a cheap sponge holder out of egg crate to hold some filter floss that I change out weekly. The only other things in the back of my tanks were the heater and a bag for carbon. The design that JBJ used is terrible for flow and doesn't keep the water moving nearly enough in the back chambers so crap builds up and needs to be cleaned out regularly like was mentioned above.

Those baskets are very nice as well that you linked. If the tank you have has the full lid on it like mine, there aren't any good skimmers to put back there. Water changes will do plenty if you stay regular with them. 10 nitrates isn't enough to worry about IMO though. Make sure you have good flow and keep detritus out of the back. You will be set.

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
Unread 11/16/2013, 03:33 PM   #12
reefguy24
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
I have been keeping JBJ Nano Cubes for the last 6 years. The back chambers really need to be open with no bio balls, live rock or anything else that can catch and accumulate detritus. The giant black sponges that come with the tank can be taken out and thrown away.

I made a cheap sponge holder out of egg crate to hold some filter floss that I change out weekly. The only other things in the back of my tanks were the heater and a bag for carbon. The design that JBJ used is terrible for flow and doesn't keep the water moving nearly enough in the back chambers so crap builds up and needs to be cleaned out regularly like was mentioned above.

Those baskets are very nice as well that you linked. If the tank you have has the full lid on it like mine, there aren't any good skimmers to put back there. Water changes will do plenty if you stay regular with them. 10 nitrates isn't enough to worry about IMO though. Make sure you have good flow and keep detritus out of the back. You will be set.
Thanks for your reply.

Can I ask you to let me know if this will work?

1. In the first chamber, I plan on taking out the stock black sponges and putting in the "media rack" I linked to from that webiste. A tad bit pricey ($40) for what it's worth, but whatever.

On the rack I plan on putting Purigen, another sponge like material (filter floss? whatever that is) and at the bottom, ChemiPure elite.

2. In the middle chamber, I plan on shoe-horning a Tunze 9002 into the middle chamber. I have two extremely smart jungle cats, so the lid of the tank must be able to close fully. Not sure if it will work.

3. In the third and final chamber of my JBJ 24ga nano, I plan on putting another one of those racks, and my ball of chaeto (that currently resides in the back of my tank, held down by some live rock...it looks ugly). I then plan on purchasing an under water light to keep the chaeto growing and alive.

Will this work?

Do I still need to do 25% water changes every week (like I have been doing) or?

thanks

Unread 11/16/2013, 05:52 PM   #13
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

1. In the first chamber, I plan on taking out the stock black sponges and putting in the "media rack" I linked to from that webiste. A tad bit pricey ($40) for what it's worth, but whatever. On the rack I plan on putting Purigen, another sponge like material (filter floss? whatever that is) and at the bottom, ChemiPure elite.

I don't see any reason to run both Purigen and ChemiPure. I have only used Purigen for a little while and found it wasn't all that necessary unless you have problems that can't be tracked down. I would just run some Purigen and Carbon on the rack.

2. In the middle chamber, I plan on shoe-horning a Tunze 9002 into the middle chamber. I have two extremely smart jungle cats, so the lid of the tank must be able to close fully. Not sure if it will work.

I still don't think a skimmer is necessary and would be better in the first chamber so micro bubbles don't make it to the pump and into the display. A skimmer will slow water flow down as well throughout the back. That is something we want to avoid.

3. In the third and final chamber of my JBJ 24ga nano, I plan on putting another one of those racks, and my ball of chaeto (that currently resides in the back of my tank, held down by some live rock...it looks ugly). I then plan on purchasing an under water light to keep the chaeto growing and alive.

Will this work?

I don't see any reason to go through all that trouble. You should have plenty of filtration with your Live Rock, Purigen and carbon already. I've never noticed a big enough difference running chaeto to go through any trouble using it.

Do I still need to do 25% water changes every week (like I have been doing) or?

Usually large weekly water changes aren't needed. I do about 10% every 2 weeks on my tank and have found this to work best on every tank I've owned.

Unread 11/16/2013, 06:24 PM   #14
reefguy24
Registered Member.

Ok thanks!

But my nitrates have now climbed to 20ppm, up from 10ppm two days ago. I have fed the fish twice, but only what the fish could eat.

I gotta vacuum the detrius from the middle chamber when I get back and hopefully that will fix the high nitrates issue. It seriously looks like a midwestern snow storm in there when I remove the stock sponge.

Unread 11/16/2013, 09:26 PM   #15
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

The sponges trap stuff and then it breaks down into nitrates. Removing the sponges will help a ton.

Unread 11/17/2013, 12:02 PM   #16
K Daddy
Moved On

I agree on removing the bio balls...

I did a water change of 6 to 7 gallons one day, then the next day the same, I went from 80ppm to 10ppm.. No joke... It helps alot!!!

K Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2013, 01:02 PM   #17
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Lowering nitrates is almost directly correlated to the amount of water you change. If your nitrates are at 50 and you do a 50% water change you should see your nitrates at 25.

Unread 11/17/2013, 05:54 PM   #18
maxb
Registered Member

are you using RO water?

maxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2013, 09:36 PM   #19
reefguy24
Registered Member.

I'm using Catalina water and rodi water (4 gal and 1 to get less than 1.026 salinity).

Will be removing sponges tomorrow and vacuuming out middle chamber, and doing my weekly water change.

I'm trying to find a skimmer that will fit in the back of my tank, and still allow me to close the lid. Not finding much online.

Unread 11/29/2013, 12:05 AM   #20
Boston21
Registered Member

Remove bioball's and keep changing water. If you still cant get them under control I'd probably look into a biopellet reactor+skimmer or just a skimmer.

ASM Mini G, Taotronics 120W, 10G Sump, Mag 7 R-Pump, 200W Heater, Purigen, Carbon, ESHOPPs Float Valve, Apex Jr, Smart Wave
Boston21 is offline   Reply With Quote