Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/10/2015, 11:56 PM   #901
OsiViper
Registered Member

If/when you guys leak tested your tanks, how long did you leave it for?

And #2 did you put some sort of foam pad underneath it Incase stand wasn't perfectly even?

OsiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2015, 12:06 AM   #902
bizacon
Registered Member

The black mat is the self leveling. I wouldn't put anything under the tank. If you need to shim, I would do it on the stand itself.

Unread 04/11/2015, 12:18 AM   #903
OsiViper
Registered Member

The thin black mat glued to bottom of tank?

Unread 04/11/2015, 01:03 AM   #904
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
The thin black mat glued to bottom of tank?
Yep. It's not going to work wonders. How much off are you?

Unread 04/11/2015, 06:02 AM   #905
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
If/when you guys leak tested your tanks, how long did you leave it for?

And #2 did you put some sort of foam pad underneath it Incase stand wasn't perfectly even?
I let it run for 24 hours before I drained it and brought it in the house. The black pad that comes with it is self leveling. Make sure it's perfectly aligned under the tank when you put it on the stand. Get help setting it down. You don't want to slide it around. You want it placed squarely on the stand and tank.

If the stand is not level, start there. Get that flat first before you put the tank up. Remember, it's going to weigh upwards of 400lbs when full. It will not be easy to do once that happens.

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2015, 07:36 AM   #906
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentz View Post
There was an attempt! I'm happy this ATI has 1 cord! The T5 I was borrowing had 3 lol. Yeah definitely come September, you'll only see MP10 cords and the light cords! I wanna hide everything. Biggest pet peeve is cords in the open! lol.

I need a wiring intervention...
The way I see it, if I don't see it, it's ok. Just don't open the left side of the cabinet!

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Unread 04/11/2015, 07:47 AM   #907
OsiViper
Registered Member

Sadly will be a while before I can leak rest still. I haven't gotten a tracking number from IM yet, so don't think it's even shipped.

And I haven't gotten a tracking number from ReefRadiance and it's been 2 weeks. When I ordered it, Rick said they had them in Stock and ready to ship, but it would take about 3 days to install the Apex control module and it would ship. That was back on the 30th of April. I'm not too upset since I don't have the tank anyway, but why tell me 3 days if it's gonna be 2 weeks+

Unread 04/11/2015, 01:47 PM   #908
BWSR
Registered Member

I used felt sheets from lowes. Cut them into 3 strips, and stacked them where the floor was off. My floor was particularly difficult because the laminate is bumped up over a beam in the sub floor, so I had to build up on the front and back, but leave the middle open. Works great, and I can easily slide my tank from one side of my house to the other!

BWSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2015, 04:53 PM   #909
bklynreefer
Registered Member

[QUOTE=OsiViper;23663406]Sadly will be a while before I can leak rest still. I haven't gotten a tracking number from IM yet, so don't think it's even shipped.

And I haven't gotten a tracking number from ReefRadiance and it's been 2 weeks. When I ordered it, Rick said they had them in Stock and ready to ship, but it would take about 3 days to install the Apex control module and it would ship. That was back on the 30th of April. I'm not too upset since I don't have the tank anyway, but why tell me 3 days if it's gonna be 2 weeks+[/QUOTare you a time traveler?

Not all reefers are nerdy.
bklynreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2015, 04:58 PM   #910
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSR View Post
I used felt sheets from lowes. Cut them into 3 strips, and stacked them where the floor was off. My floor was particularly difficult because the laminate is bumped up over a beam in the sub floor, so I had to build up on the front and back, but leave the middle open. Works great, and I can easily slide my tank from one side of my house to the other!
I wish I could say the same thing. Mrs is planning on painting this spring. I'm going to have to do at least a 50% dump to move it away from the wall far enough so she can get behind it. I figure I'll dump 50% and leave the vortechs running until she's done, move it back, and top it off with fresh.
If it takes longer than an hour, I'll have to dump, move, fill, dump, and move back. It's not going to be fun...

Unread 04/11/2015, 05:18 PM   #911
OsiViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynreefer View Post
Quote:
Sadly will be a while before I can leak rest still. I haven't gotten a tracking number from IM yet, so don't think it's even shipped.

And I haven't gotten a tracking number from ReefRadiance and it's been 2 weeks. When I ordered it, Rick said they had them in Stock and ready to ship, but it would take about 3 days to install the Apex control module and it would ship. That was back on the 30th of April. I'm not too upset since I don't have the tank anyway, but why tell me 3 days if it's gonna be 2 weeks+
are you a time traveler?

I meant March.. lol

Last edited by OsiViper; 04/11/2015 at 05:35 PM.
Unread 04/11/2015, 08:53 PM   #912
OsiViper
Registered Member

I really need the bigger water volume. My small one seems to be sucking too much alk/cal. Lost 2.2 dKH and 90 Calcium in 1 day..

Unread 04/11/2015, 09:56 PM   #913
bizacon
Registered Member

Back home! Other than some nice green glass, tank looks good. Will check everything out in the am. Getting water ready for water change. I am a believer in apex and dropcam... Don't leave home without them!

Now the hard part begins... Getting back on east coast time

Unread 04/11/2015, 10:51 PM   #914
OsiViper
Registered Member

Welcome back

Unread 04/12/2015, 04:56 AM   #915
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post
Back home! Other than some nice green glass, tank looks good. Will check everything out in the am. Getting water ready for water change. I am a believer in apex and dropcam... Don't leave home without them!

Now the hard part begins... Getting back on east coast time
Welcome home!

Unread 04/12/2015, 04:58 AM   #916
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
I really need the bigger water volume. My small one seems to be sucking too much alk/cal. Lost 2.2 dKH and 90 Calcium in 1 day..
Dose 2 part until you are ready. Manually if you have to...

Unread 04/12/2015, 08:28 AM   #917
bizacon
Registered Member

Thanks guys... It's good to be back and see our daughter. Did a water change, everything looks good. I may have lost one of the small yumas, but waiting for the lights to come on.

Start dosing 2 part and see what the tank needs. If you can track it, it will be easy for you when you set up dosing pumps

Unread 04/12/2015, 08:56 AM   #918
Mrs Fish
Registered Member

Not sure where to best place my heater (no water in tank yet!) ... It's a ViaAqua titanium heater with temperature probe - instructions say the probe must be placed in the same body of water but a minimum of 4" away. Anyone have one of these? Which compartment did you put it in ... and which compartment did you put the probe in !?

Sue

Mrs Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2015, 09:46 AM   #919
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Fish View Post
Not sure where to best place my heater (no water in tank yet!) ... It's a ViaAqua titanium heater with temperature probe - instructions say the probe must be placed in the same body of water but a minimum of 4" away. Anyone have one of these? Which compartment did you put it in ... and which compartment did you put the probe in !?

Sue
Center compartment for both! One on each side. Or put the probe in one of the other inner chambers.
I have my probes all in one chamber left of center beside the reactor.

Unread 04/12/2015, 09:54 AM   #920
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post

Start dosing 2 part and see what the tank needs. If you can track it, it will be easy for you when you set up dosing pumps
Yep. I finally came to a proper dose volume yesterday. 15ml a & 10ml b. I was surprise by the amount of alk my tank consumes in 24 hrs. It will eventually even out. Mag was 1360, which is spot on.
Cut back on Phosban too. It's starving some of the corals.

Added some blue leg hermits and a sailfin blenny yesterday. They won't be hungry for a while.

I assume you guys had a great time. I was watching the Chinese GP this morning thinking you should have stayed an extra weekend to go spectate!

Unread 04/12/2015, 11:00 AM   #921
Mrs Fish
Registered Member

Thank Reduck! So far I have switched out the two baskets for the Caddy's with Chemi Pure Elite and filter floss - not sure what I'm going to do with the other one yet (maybe a huge). Aquamaxx Hob-1 is in 2nd compartment on the left (as you look at the tank from the front). Radio 15W with overhead tank mount is centered. Return pump, heater and probe in middle and still a spare on the right. I have the Innovative Marine top off system, so still to figure out where to put that ... but obviously waiting to add water before I set it up. MP10 pump (just one right now) is on right side of tank. Thanks all for the help! I will hopefully finish setup by mid-week and be ready to add sand, water and LR.

Mrs Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2015, 11:08 AM   #922
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Fish View Post
Thank Reduck! So far I have switched out the two baskets for the Caddy's with Chemi Pure Elite and filter floss - not sure what I'm going to do with the other one yet (maybe a huge). Aquamaxx Hob-1 is in 2nd compartment on the left (as you look at the tank from the front). Radio 15W with overhead tank mount is centered. Return pump, heater and probe in middle and still a spare on the right. I have the Innovative Marine top off system, so still to figure out where to put that ... but obviously waiting to add water before I set it up. MP10 pump (just one right now) is on right side of tank. Thanks all for the help! I will hopefully finish setup by mid-week and be ready to add sand, water and LR.
You are set!!! You are really going to enjoy the tank. You can run a reactor in the second chamber or put in LR rubble. Keep us posted

Unread 04/12/2015, 11:11 AM   #923
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduck View Post

I assume you guys had a great time. I was watching the Chinese GP this morning thinking you should have stayed an extra weekend to go spectate!
We did. I throughly enjoy Japan, wouldn't mind living there. People that take care of their children and elderly. Most importantly take care of their country by keeping it clean.

Haha. No GP for us, I bet that place would be packed.

Hong Kong and Macau is a place to see once. Macau has 4 times the amount of turn over than Vegas. Now that is crazy

Unread 04/12/2015, 11:57 AM   #924
lreynolds
Registered Member

IM 40 lighting advice

Hello there, I am new to this forum and have joined in the hopes of getting some advice, after scouring the internet and coming up empty! I have been keeping saltwater tanks on and off for around 10 years or so, with my most recent being a 29 biocube with h reidi seahorses with easy and compatible corals (zoos, mushrooms, etc). Had a mated pair of h reidi that lived out their 5 or so years of life expectancy then shut the tank down (running with little kids made life kind of busy - no time for the tank!). Recently purchased a IM 40 which I love. Current setup is Tunze 9004 skimmer, two Jebao RW-4 wavemakers, IM Custom caddy setup as a refug with the IM aquagadget fuge light. Lighting is my issue. I currently have a Maxspect Razor 60w in place. Water parameters are all good: Sal 1.024 ;Temp 78; Ammonia 0; Nitrites 0; Nitrates 0; Phosphates <.25 but more than 0; Ph 8.0 Calcium was low at 320 but gradually increasing. My primary purpose for the tank is two pair of seahorses, but want to keep seahorse friendly corals as well. The lighting is not a concern for the seahorses, but I was hoping to be able to keep some LPS corals this time around. However, pretty much nothing I have put in there seems to be happy with the lights, other than a few mushrooms. I have some moon polyps that just closed up and look very unhappy and I lost a purple whip gorgonian. First, I am not sure what the problem is - maybe I had the lights set too high initially? My lfs didn't think there needed to be an adjustment period since they were already under LEDs there, so then I thought maybe there is not enough light? Is this not enough light for the tank in general for the types of corals I would like to keep? Do I need to get a second 60W and link them together, or does this sound like not a light problem at all? Very frustrated cause these aren't complicated corals I am working with! Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

lreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2015, 12:43 PM   #925
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreynolds View Post
Hello there, I am new to this forum and have joined in the hopes of getting some advice, after scouring the internet and coming up empty! I have been keeping saltwater tanks on and off for around 10 years or so, with my most recent being a 29 biocube with h reidi seahorses with easy and compatible corals (zoos, mushrooms, etc). Had a mated pair of h reidi that lived out their 5 or so years of life expectancy then shut the tank down (running with little kids made life kind of busy - no time for the tank!). Recently purchased a IM 40 which I love. Current setup is Tunze 9004 skimmer, two Jebao RW-4 wavemakers, IM Custom caddy setup as a refug with the IM aquagadget fuge light. Lighting is my issue. I currently have a Maxspect Razor 60w in place. Water parameters are all good: Sal 1.024 ;Temp 78; Ammonia 0; Nitrites 0; Nitrates 0; Phosphates <.25 but more than 0; Ph 8.0 Calcium was low at 320 but gradually increasing. My primary purpose for the tank is two pair of seahorses, but want to keep seahorse friendly corals as well. The lighting is not a concern for the seahorses, but I was hoping to be able to keep some LPS corals this time around. However, pretty much nothing I have put in there seems to be happy with the lights, other than a few mushrooms. I have some moon polyps that just closed up and look very unhappy and I lost a purple whip gorgonian. First, I am not sure what the problem is - maybe I had the lights set too high initially? My lfs didn't think there needed to be an adjustment period since they were already under LEDs there, so then I thought maybe there is not enough light? Is this not enough light for the tank in general for the types of corals I would like to keep? Do I need to get a second 60W and link them together, or does this sound like not a light problem at all? Very frustrated cause these aren't complicated corals I am working with! Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome!
60w isn't very powerful for this depth tank. But you should be ok with soft corals. I ran a 50w on mine for a short while and it did ok. Hopefully you didn't just crank it up to full power when you installed it. Soft corals especially will bleach out. Slow acclimation is important.

Try to get your phosphate down a bit. .0x is better. Also, most coral prefer 1.026 salinity. Not sure of the water requirements for sea horses. If they thrive in that water you should be ok. Gorgonians are difficult from my experience. They like high flow and occasional feelings. Mine was eaten by an over active emerald crab.

Are you seeing any algae growing?