Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2018, 08:11 AM   #1
eastlake
Registered Member

Incorrect ID

Perhaps there's a better way to do this but in the invert section of the divers den there is a hermit crab that is mislabeled. Here's the link https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-d...ne-hermit-crab
This is not an anemone hermit (Dardanus gemmatus), it is a giant hermit crab (Petrochirus diogenes) and they get HUGE and ANGRY. Just wanted to give the community a heads up and I'm going to reach out to them and let them know. And I'm not trying to bash liveaquaria, I love their site and have used and will continue to use them, I just wanted to give you folks a heads up.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2018, 03:26 PM   #2
griss
RC Mod

Someone bought it today.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder
griss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2018, 06:26 AM   #3
eastlake
Registered Member

I did get an email back from them as well saying that they were confident with their identification. I'm not saying that they or myself were right or wrong as lord knows I'm wrong daily, I just know that I've had one of these animals before, in a tank to itself, and that bugger was as mean as the day is long. It would actually climb the siphon to try and get my hand when I was in there vacuuming the sand. One day I wasn't paying attention and he got me, it wasn't a mistake that I would repeat as it really REALLY hurt, softball sized hermit by the way and I've seen them bigger than that down at St. Andrews Bay in Panama City Beach, FL. Hopefully whoever bought it intends to give it a system all its own, otherwise they just put Genghis Khan into their display tank.

Unread 08/14/2018, 06:21 PM   #4
uhohhotdog
Registered Member

Wouldn’t be the first time they misidentified. I ordered ceriths months ago and one of the ceriths was not a cerith. I believe it’s an astrea but clearly not a cerith.

uhohhotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 06:13 AM   #5
eastlake
Registered Member

I mean, wrong identifications happen, lord knows I've swung and missed by miles on way more than one occasion. I just hope that whoever got that awesome animal gives it the care that it needs and that it hasn't gone totally rogue in a reef aquarium or fish only for that matter.