Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2016, 12:09 PM   #101
ArmanS
Registered Member

I don't understand why some people think their current Apex system is obsolete. You can continue to use your current Apex system for years to come. All of your existing modules except the EB8 will work with the new Apex if you decide to upgrade.

Your old display will work with the new Apex if you wanted too.

The only negative is the fact that your old EB8s will not work with the new Apex. I have 4 EB8s and having to replace them all will be costly, but the market for used Neptune Systems products have always been very strong and I am positive that even after the release of the new Apex you can still resale your old products and upgrade for a small cost.

Unread 05/24/2016, 12:11 PM   #102
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanS View Post

The only negative is the fact that your old EB8s will not work with the new Apex. I have 4 EB8s and having to replace them all will be costly, but the market for used Neptune Systems products have always been very strong and I am positive that even after the release of the new Apex you can still resale your old products and upgrade for a small cost.
You have it backwards. The current EB8 work fine with the new apex however the new E32 powerbar will NOT work with the classic units.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:19 PM   #103
CHSUB
"Certified Hobby Expert"

All this crying and whining is too funny!!! i think people are most angered because now there is something "better" than an apex....i still use a Neptune Systems Aqua Controller 2 and it works fine; don't worry the only thing that will suffer is your ego!!!!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110638
CHSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:25 PM   #104
FirstContact
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanS View Post
I don't understand why some people think their current Apex system is obsolete.
What makes it obsolete is not whether or not we can use the new EB832 but the toys that will eventually plug into it. All the new hardware from Neptune and third party companies will be designed to work with the new EB832. There will likely be a lot of stuff that Classic owners will not be able to take advantage of (otherwise, there would be no huge incentive to purchase the new Apex)

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:26 PM   #105
homer1475
Registered Member

I think the new units are ugly and very cheap plasticy looking(why on earth their going with this grey and neon orange look is beyond me).

Now if they come out with a new display module that can still be compatible with the now called "classic", I might consider it. I still think a touch screen would be more reliable then physical buttons.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:28 PM   #106
ArmanS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
You have it backwards. The current EB8 work fine with the new apex however the new E32 powerbar will NOT work with the classic units.
Then that is even better.

Unread 05/24/2016, 12:29 PM   #107
FirstContact
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSUB View Post
All this crying and whining is too funny!!! i think people are most angered because now there is something "better" than an apex....i still use a Neptune Systems Aqua Controller 2 and it works fine; don't worry the only thing that will suffer is your ego!!!!
Ha! Ha! Ha! I have a slightly used Apex Classic to sell you to replace that Aqua Contrioller 2!

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:31 PM   #108
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
Scott, I think a lot of people are concerned that the incompatibility of the EB832 is a sign of more incompatibility to come. This is a niche industry, I don't think it's fair to compare an aquarium controller company with a small following to a car manufacturer. I think we all expect a little more customer appreciation in exchange for our loyalty.

Their line of products suggests that we should hand over control of our entire aquarium to them. A lot of us have spent thousands with that goal in mind. The idea that our investment could be rendered worthless overnight is just plain upsetting.

Apple and Microsoft do the same thing, monopolize an industry and hold their customers hostage, selling crap no one needs or cares about in a constant race to push old product to the landfill, it's nothing new. But that doesn't mean we should just sit back and take it without raising a fuss and letting them know how we feel about it.

Well said.

SchnitzelReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:31 PM   #109
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSUB View Post
Is it really better though? I prefer the smaller form factor of the now "classic" apex. And I couldn't care less about the new upgrades. Just don't brick the apex I already have and we'll call it a truce.

They're discontinuing the classic apex, anyone know if they're planning to discontinue EB8's and EB4's? I'd like to be able to expand my current system without shelling out another $800.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:34 PM   #110
ClownNut
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
I smell a cash grab....

Are we sure Neptune isn't owned by Apple?

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:36 PM   #111
ArmanS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstContact View Post
What makes it obsolete is not whether or not we can use the new EB832 but the toys that will eventually plug into it. All the new hardware from Neptune and third party companies will be designed to work with the new EB832. There will likely be a lot of stuff that Classic owners will not be able to take advantage of (otherwise, there would be no huge incentive to purchase the new Apex)
Yes, it may not be able to take advantage of new products that will be coming out in the future. That is why you have the choice to upgrade if you want to use those new products and or features. I think if Neptune would have said we will be stopping all support and updates on the Apex Classic within 1 year then everyone would have a valid reason to be frustrated.

But they are not, your current Apex will work fine and will do all of its current functions, it is still going to be supported, you can still use Apex Fusion, the only things you cannot do is add a EB8 32 and possibly not be able to use new products that are designed for the new Apex.

I can understand why many are frustrated who just purchased a Apex Gold System, but you bought a great controller for $100 off the price that everyone else had paid for years.

Unread 05/24/2016, 12:36 PM   #112
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I don't see what the problem is.
reefers have cash overflowing out of their pockets and neptune is simply taking advantage of that opportunity. I bet the vendors cannot handle the in rush of customers making pre-orders.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:41 PM   #113
RobbyG
Registered Member

I don't understand why they have made wifi a major part of the upgrade.
Wifi is not reliable when connected 24/7 and everyone including Neptune knows this.
All the controller companies and even mission critical equipment we have at work recommend hard wired Ethernet for reliability.

Rob

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:46 PM   #114
shermanator
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstContact View Post
This is my only concern. When I bought my Apex (now-Classic), Neptune was saying the COR and FMM were "coming soon" (they have been saying this for over a year now) and the FMM was hugely important to my decision to go with Apex. I hope when the FMM and COR do come out I will be able to use them with my Apex Classic.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:47 PM   #115
shermanator
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyG View Post
Wifi is not reliable when connected 24/7 and everyone including Neptune knows this.
All the controller companies and even mission critical equipment we have at work recommend hard wired Ethernet for reliability.

Rob
Yeah, I would never want to rely on wireless for my controller. Glad they kept the ethernet port.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:48 PM   #116
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Neptune Systems announcement today?

Quote:

Rob

How could you sell a new apex for $800, if all you did was wrap old technology in a cheap grey and orange plastic case and there was no wifi???..Nobody would buy it if it didn't have wifi. It's a sales gimmick. Why does Apple come out with the S version of every iPhone?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Even the guy in the video said he still recommends connecting your apex with an Ethernet cable. Why even come out with wifi if you still recommend an Ethernet connection?!??

It's cheaper for a company to rebrand old technology then to actually design and R&D new products. Apple knows that all too well.

SchnitzelReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:50 PM   #117
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnitzelReef View Post
How could you sell a new apex for $800, if all you did was wrap old technology in a cheap grey and orange plastic case and there was no wifi???..Nobody would buy it if it didn't have wifi. It's a sales gimmick. Why does Apple come out with the S version of every iPhone?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Even the guy in the video said he still recommends connecting your apex with an Ethernet cable. Why even come out with wifi if you still recommend an Ethernet connection?!??

It's cheaper for a company to rebrand old technology then to actually design and R&D new products. Apple knows that all too well.
i think that more for firmware update.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 12:58 PM   #118
ArmanS
Registered Member

Quote:

Rob
I would not use Wifi for my Neptune for the reasons you stated. I think the main reason they put it was the fact that so many users have complained about a lack of Wifi.

Unread 05/24/2016, 01:00 PM   #119
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

The good side of discussions like this is they allow users to brainstorm and after reading forums around im stsrting to feel better about my (now) old, redundant Apex.

PM1/PM2/Link modules in one piece is great, but as one pointed out after having his PM2 module go blank and sent out for repairs repeatedly, how about you get the new unit and run ATO, Cor connected and you then have to send the main unit for repairs if one integrated module suddently malfunctions? Spare equipment as back up?

ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 01:03 PM   #120
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

it is ironic when Curt mentioned in video he build aquacontroller because existing controllers cost so much. I guess he has come half circle.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 01:07 PM   #121
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Totally reminds me of Apple. Look at the first iPhone and look at the iPhone 7, not a huge difference really. Not like they're creating new products, unless you count the stupid watch. They just tweak it a little here and there and convince people they need a new one when it comes out. It's amazing, though, the amount of people that actually buy (And keep buying) into this type of marketing.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 01:19 PM   #122
gus6464
Registered Member

The AC3 to Apex was a very different product. Totally new future-proof interface in the Aquabus although let's face it, it's really USB which isn't going anywhere. Fusion was a complete departure from the old interface.

There is no R&D in this new one no matter how you slice it. This is nothing but product repackaging which has long been a staple of marketing departments. This also marks the beginning of forced obsolescence via software which is the absolute cheapest way to do it.

Welcome to the cash grab folks. Whoever decided this to go this route within Neptune are absolute morons considering the big boys of the industry are about to enter the controller market.

Vertex
Tunze
Ecotech

All three are coming with controllers and two are basically here (Tunze, Vertex).

There is ZERO reason why the EB832 can't talk to the Apex classic brain. None, zero, zilch, nada.

gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 01:20 PM   #123
PorkChop
Registered Member

Quote:

Rob
Some of us can't use ethernet. I live on a farm out in the middle or no where... I get my internet via an AT&T Mifi. The only option I have is wifi as that is all this device provides.

So.. for me to have Wifi built in and not have to find an adapter to try and make work is pretty great.

Obviously if I had ethernet... I'd run a cable... but I don't.

-Porkchop

PorkChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 01:23 PM   #124
SkullV
They Got My Number

Neptune just released this FAQ about the new system. Should put a lot of peoples' minds at ease. It definitely made me happy.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/faq-f...neration-apex/

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 01:24 PM   #125
PorkChop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
Is it really better though? I prefer the smaller form factor of the now "classic" apex. And I couldn't care less about the new upgrades. Just don't brick the apex I already have and we'll call it a truce.

They're discontinuing the classic apex, anyone know if they're planning to discontinue EB8's and EB4's? I'd like to be able to expand my current system without shelling out another $800.
The old "Gold" Apex is now going to be the classic, add that to them saying that you can't use the new EB's on the "Gold/Classic" and I would find it hard to believe they would stop making EB8's or 4's... I just don't see how they could.

That... would screw tons and tons of people ... so, I'd assume they will have EB8's and 4's for a long time to come.

Maybe I'm wrong... but that would be shocking to a whole lot of people I'd guess.

-Porkchop

PorkChop is offline   Reply With Quote