Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/28/2016, 07:22 AM   #1
yukimika
Registered Member

Vectra M1 Loud Noise

I can't believe my Eco-Tech Vectra M1 is on the fritz in less than 6 months. It's making a loud humming almost clicking noise. Any thoughts what this could be or how to fix it?

Also, I sent them an email via their website last week and have heard nothing back, so their customer service is crap too.

thanks

Last edited by yukimika; 05/28/2016 at 07:23 AM. Reason: .
yukimika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 07:24 AM   #2
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Their customer service is usually pretty impressive. Did you try calling them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 08:49 AM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

Have you taken the pump apart to see if there is something like debris or a snail or something that intruded into it? It could also be calcium buildup in the magnet cavity or on the magnet itself. If that occurs and it comes in causes resistance on the impeller, you may get a humming noise either from friction or the block being overloaded. Anyhow, if this were my pump, that would be the first thing I would do is take it apart to inspect and clean the motor and impeller.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 12:10 PM   #4
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukimika View Post
I can't believe my Eco-Tech Vectra M1 is on the fritz in less than 6 months. It's making a loud humming almost clicking noise. Any thoughts what this could be or how to fix it?

Also, I sent them an email via their website last week and have heard nothing back, so their customer service is crap too.

thanks
First, do what Scott suggests and remove the pump and investigate for a small snail. That's a common issue with any pump.

Second, don't call customer service crap when YOU haven't put forth the minute amount of effort it takes to pick up a phone and call their customer support number.
Emails are convenient, but they can get lost in the shuffle.
If you read the threads in their sponsor forum you will see that the phone is their preferred method of support.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 01:42 PM   #5
yukimika
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Have you taken the pump apart to see if there is something like debris or a snail or something that intruded into it? It could also be calcium buildup in the magnet cavity or on the magnet itself. If that occurs and it comes in causes resistance on the impeller, you may get a humming noise either from friction or the block being overloaded. Anyhow, if this were my pump, that would be the first thing I would do is take it apart to inspect and clean the motor and impeller.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will do that!

Unread 05/28/2016, 01:47 PM   #6
yukimika
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
First, do what Scott suggests and remove the pump and investigate for a small snail. That's a common issue with any pump.

Second, don't call customer service crap when YOU haven't put forth the minute amount of effort it takes to pick up a phone and call their customer support number.
Emails are convenient, but they can get lost in the shuffle.
If you read the threads in their sponsor forum you will see that the phone is their preferred method of support.

Well, I went to their website and they have a huge box to enter information into, so I did. If they don't want people use that, then don't have it. Every company is different but most don't want you calling them - many automated prompts and long waits. Maybe they are different. I will try calling them. But I shouldn't have to sniff around message boards to find their preferred contact method - that should be on their website.

Unread 05/28/2016, 01:52 PM   #7
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
But I shouldn't have to sniff around message boards to find their preferred contact method - that should be on their website.
http://ecotechmarine.com/support

Two phone numbers, right at the top under CONTACT INFORMATION.

Just saying, if you didn't hear back from the email within 24 hours, pick up the phone.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 02:33 PM   #8
yukimika
Registered Member

I'll do that but it's still crap they don't respond to their emails.

Unread 05/28/2016, 06:58 PM   #9
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll do that but it's still crap they don't respond to their emails.
When I had an issue with my controller I called and left a message on Saturday, and they called me Monday morning. Emails are just like faxes they get lost or filtered. My job as an estimator is bidding millions of dollars of work. I send the email and then call to make sure. Several times the contractor said they didn't receive it. Once was an $8 Million dollar project, it pays to follow up with a phone call if it is important. And yes my company was awarded the project

alton is offline   Reply With Quote