Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/27/2009, 06:36 AM   #1
prawdzwr
Registered Member

Bio Ball Maintainance

How do I clean/service my Bio balls. And how often should I do so.

prawdzwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2009, 08:31 AM   #2
livenow
Registered Member

Take out a hand full a week and put them in the trash until they are all gone. Then if you want you can put live rock in there or some type of macro algae.

livenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2009, 08:32 AM   #3
mdntrdr
Registered Member

I agree

Current Tank Info: 220G. AGA ~ RR ~ SSB mixed reef ~ 40G. DSB sump/fuge ~ GFO and GAC reactors ~ 72" Aqualight Pro ~ MRC-MR2 Skimmer ~ THAT'S HOW I RIDE!!!!
mdntrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2009, 08:56 AM   #4
gh0st
Registered Member

If you keep all your Filter pads and Prefilter sponges clean on a weekly basis, it eliminates most problems all the BioBall Haters point out all the time.

If the balls are getting a bit grungy, pull out about a quarter of them, swish them around in a container of tank water to dislodge debris, and put them back in. Repeat every week or two until all are clean. Viola, clean Bio Balls.

IMHO Live Rock in a WetDry will collect far more detritus, and be much more difficult to clean than any plastic Bio ball.

gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2009, 08:36 PM   #5
prawdzwr
Registered Member

so if I go to live rock I would need to cure? and then how often to clean or exchange them. I live right on the beach of the persian gulf so live rock is not a problem.
Or if I stay with bio balls clean only say 25% at a time?

Unread 11/27/2009, 08:40 PM   #6
chadfarmer
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0st View Post
If you keep all your Filter pads and Prefilter sponges clean on a weekly basis, it eliminates most problems all the BioBall Haters point out all the time.

If the balls are getting a bit grungy, pull out about a quarter of them, swish them around in a container of tank water to dislodge debris, and put them back in. Repeat every week or two until all are clean. Viola, clean Bio Balls.

IMHO Live Rock in a WetDry will collect far more detritus, and be much more difficult to clean than any plastic Bio ball.
i have cleaned all the balls in one day at a fish store

but what he said is good to

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal RR,ATB medium, 4 AI blue sol,230 LBS LIVE ROCK, no sand , 40 GAL sump, airstar1800, 3 tunze 6105 1- 6205 1-6305, Geo 818, profilux3ex with toys
chadfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2009, 02:04 AM   #7
prawdzwr
Registered Member

Thanks All

Unread 04/29/2011, 04:40 AM   #8
KEITHHAYS_2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0st View Post

This is good point, I would add that if you are putting live rock in a w/d (not fully submerged), you are essentially using the the Bio ball method. The bio-balls just look like rocks. Not really a bad thing, but again slightly different method of filtration with different strengths and weaknesses within the nitrogen cycle.

KEITHHAYS_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio balls