Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/17/2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Valentini89
Registered Member

Coral issue

So I have this green hard Coral (not sure what it is) but the green is "peeling back" in a couple places on the tips to reveal white. What's going on? It's placed on the top of the rocks so about mid-way down the water column. It gets plenty of light. All the other corals are happy.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 07:01 PM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Picture?

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 07:04 PM   #3
kevin_e
Registered Member

Could be any number of things. Can you post light type and cycle.

Post water chemistry parameters. Alk, calc, salinity, mag.

Any swings in alkalynity or salt recently?

Is it really close to a power head.or another coral?

Pic may help.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

kevin_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 09:00 PM   #4
Anemone
Cloning Around

Well, let's just say a little more information, and a picture, would certainly help get you the correct information.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Well, let's just say a little more information, and a picture, would certainly help get you the correct information.

Kevin
You can't distinguish it in the picture, where the white tips are, and although I am a bit ashamed to say this, I don't have any test results because I don't test anything. The LFS that maintains the tank does all the testing. As of now, however I know I need to start testing, as I'm starting dosing.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Unread 07/18/2018, 04:59 PM   #6
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post

Kevin
You can't distinguish it in the picture, where the white tips are, and although I am a bit ashamed to say this, I don't have any test results because I don't test anything. The LFS that maintains the tank does all the testing. As of now, however I know I need to start testing, as I'm starting dosing.

Unread 07/18/2018, 07:01 PM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Unless you have a ton of Stoney corals, or do not make regular water changes, dosing should not be necessary.

I would just make weekly WC, test, record, same for 4 weeks, see what consumption actually is......I moved to REDSEA PRO salt which mixes high in the ranges, do a weekly 15% WC, have 60 Stoney corals and Alk and CA only 3ppm per day.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 07:31 PM   #8
top shelf
Registered Member

Unfortunately at this point answering your question would be like throwing darts at a dart board. It could be a light issue, flow, parameters, nutrients, just to many variables to tell. What other kind of corals do you have? It may help give some sort of idea. You say it's a stony coral so I'm going to say it sounds alk or nutrient related.

Just curious you said you've began dosing, by that do you mean the lfs that takes care of the tank for you does or you do? What has been dosed and how often?

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 08:07 PM   #9
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
Unfortunately at this point answering your question would be like throwing darts at a dart board. It could be a light issue, flow, parameters, nutrients, just to many variables to tell. What other kind of corals do you have? It may help give some sort of idea. You say it's a stony coral so I'm going to say it sounds alk or nutrient related.

Just curious you said you've began dosing, by that do you mean the lfs that takes care of the tank for you does or you do? What has been dosed and how often?
Well as to the other types of corals I have, it's a wide variety. All different types. As far as what I've began dosing, as recommend by the guy that maintains the tank, "phytoplankton" "calcium" "fuel" and another I can't remember the name. They are all either reef foods or minerals as far as I understand it.

Unread 07/18/2018, 08:22 PM   #10
top shelf
Registered Member

Do you have other stony corals in the tank as well? If others are doing well could be it just isn't happy where it is. Do they come and test the tank and then give you a recommendation on what to dose and how much? Just trying to get an understanding of how the dosing is being done. Being it's a stony if your dosing alk you could be experiencing an alk swing in the tank causing it. A swing of as little as 1dkh can upset and possible kill stony corals, mainly sps though. These are all merely guesses based of what info is available.

Like you already said getting some tests and doing it yourself is going to be a must.

Sorry if this isn't much help.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote