Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2004, 02:48 AM   #26
Dakota_reef
Registered Member

I must say, Tim needs to learn to clean up his own dishes. I barely have the stamina to clean up my own (I feel his pain). If you ever find out why on earth that little crab (btw- how big IS he) likes that LR so much, lemme know. In the meantime, I await further stories on Tim and Strongbad; a new battle may just be brewing, but the war is in full swing!!

and P.S. My money's on Tim. It takes courage, wits, and pure determination to surivive a heater malfunction (as well as a crapload of luck). I fear that Tim is more than just a mantis; perhaps he is the super-mantis!

Eric T. Danielson

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef w/ 250w 14KHQI w/ PC actinics, re-circ ASM G2, 150 watt Pro-Heat II, 70 lbs of LR, 60 lbs of Sand; DIY 20 gal sump and 10 gal refugium
Dakota_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2004, 10:46 AM   #27
DensityMan
Registered Member

Kryptonite's patsy (Mr. Why-Me) is still lurking about in the zoanthid patches waiting for hi day to strike.

Strongmad is still safely hidden underneath his fortress of solitude (which he still carries on his back - he is the RV of crustaceans)

Kryptonite himself is nowhere to be found, which is probably just as well because Tim is growing up!

He's right around 2 inches in length now and has chipped away his viewing hole to fit his new size. Even though he still opens and closes the top-hole he has excavated fully half of the sand out from under his apartment (I haven't even filed for a building permit yet).

I am posting this little nugget of a post to remind me to take and upload some new pictures. Not only has he gotten bigger, but he's gotten cooler as well. His third antennae is doing well as is his appetite; he has cleared his tank of all nassarius (pig) even ate a large cerith. The astrea's are nervous around him (and have some dents in their armor), but seem to be holding there own. Tim must like the whelk because he has yet to eat him, but I'm wondering what will happen if I don't restock his nassarius supply soon.

He is much more comfortable in his tank since the heater exploded. I even have my suspicions that he may have planned the whole heater debacle to rid himself of the ninja crustacean, Kryptonite and the constantly swimming fish...

Hrmmm...

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.

Former roommate of Tim the Supermantis; may he hunt in peace.
(http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266915)

Current Tank Info: building...
DensityMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2004, 01:11 PM   #28
Dakota_reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DensityMan
I even have my suspicions that he may have planned the whole heater debacle to rid himself of the ninja crustacean, Kryptonite and the constantly swimming fish...
I knew he was a smart one!

Eric T. Danielson

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef w/ 250w 14KHQI w/ PC actinics, re-circ ASM G2, 150 watt Pro-Heat II, 70 lbs of LR, 60 lbs of Sand; DIY 20 gal sump and 10 gal refugium
Unread 02/16/2004, 05:21 PM   #29
ATLDrtybird7
Registered Member

Beautiful stories... great thread.... with the adventures of tim, who needs tv?

ATLDrtybird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2004, 08:40 PM   #30
goblinsharkman
Registered Member

Great story, should definetly be a cartoon show

Best fish in da sea

W//-\\M//-\\S

Current Tank Info: new tank: 3 ORA bangai Cardinals, 2 maxima clams and more acros than you can count. 46gallon: 2 ORA clowns,a harem of Flasher wrasse, and the coolest fish in the tank "Tony Montana" the bi-color blenny , shrimp goby and pistol
goblinsharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2004, 02:55 AM   #31
tlouie
Registered Member

Density Man,

have you thought about buying some of those IO Nassarius snails off ebay for Tim? I know those snails aren't the best for reef tanks, but I think that might make a nice supply of food for Tim. I see them going for $15-20 for 50 of those snails, much cheaper than $1.25-1.50 per snail at the LFS.

Quote:
Originally posted by DensityMan
Kryptonite's patsy (Mr. Why-Me) is still lurking about in the zoanthid patches waiting for hi day to strike.

Strongmad is still safely hidden underneath his fortress of solitude (which he still carries on his back - he is the RV of crustaceans)

Kryptonite himself is nowhere to be found, which is probably just as well because Tim is growing up!

He's right around 2 inches in length now and has chipped away his viewing hole to fit his new size. Even though he still opens and closes the top-hole he has excavated fully half of the sand out from under his apartment (I haven't even filed for a building permit yet).

I am posting this little nugget of a post to remind me to take and upload some new pictures. Not only has he gotten bigger, but he's gotten cooler as well. His third antennae is doing well as is his appetite; he has cleared his tank of all nassarius (pig) even ate a large cerith. The astrea's are nervous around him (and have some dents in their armor), but seem to be holding there own. Tim must like the whelk because he has yet to eat him, but I'm wondering what will happen if I don't restock his nassarius supply soon.

He is much more comfortable in his tank since the heater exploded. I even have my suspicions that he may have planned the whole heater debacle to rid himself of the ninja crustacean, Kryptonite and the constantly swimming fish...

Hrmmm...

tlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2004, 02:42 PM   #32
DensityMan
Registered Member

Haven't been able to lure Tim out in front of the camera yet today, but did manage to catch one of his latest left-overs.

In the absence of his favorite dish he has upgraded the size of his prey and chose to eat a long-time resident of his tank; Mr. Cerith -

He's growing up so fast...

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.

Unread 02/18/2004, 04:23 PM   #33
wetworx101
Moved On

Hey Density,
Is tim going to get a new sidekick from Doppler? That would be rad. Every super-mantis-hero needs a stoma-sidekick. he he

wetworx101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2004, 05:25 PM   #34
Dakota_reef
Registered Member

but are we sure that Tim is a hero? I mean, from his carnage and lack of manners, I'd have to lean toward villian. Or at least an antagonist :-)

Eric T. Danielson

Unread 02/18/2004, 05:54 PM   #35
nanoman123
Registered Member

lol this is great.............

what my friend that works at the LFS did was he bought a mantis, and had a big battle between the mantis and a baby octopus. in the end, the octopus one, with no injuries :0

Current Tank Info: 10g nano reef
nanoman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2004, 05:58 PM   #36
nanoman123
Registered Member

get an army of turbo snails and have a war!!

Current Tank Info: 10g nano reef
nanoman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2004, 07:14 PM   #37
wetworx101
Moved On

that's not a war...it's a massacre!! A war would be a few small cephs and a few mantis in the same tank. Oh, I got another...a nice hard-shell crab vs a mantis.

Unread 02/18/2004, 10:00 PM   #38
DensityMan
Registered Member

Villain?

Villain?!?

Hrm... well... he might not be the model cape-wearing do-gooder, but certainly not a villain. Maybe a bit like Lobo.

Misunderstood... yeah, misunderstood and hungry.

Would a villain be caught dead even contemplating being fed from a tube?

Or feeding directly from it fo that matter?

(Truth be told, I had to pay him for those shots... and if he saw them here I'm certain there'd be hell to pay)

Unread 02/18/2004, 11:08 PM   #39
wetworx101
Moved On

the whole one-eye thing kinda says villian more than hero...well, I suppose there are some "sarge" type heroes that are supporting hero characters, with their eye-patches, fake legs, or other characteristic disability...but as a central, stand alone hero??? Are there any other's with one eye?

It's a superhero first I think.

Tim, supermantis. He has a semi-secret lair, and an attitude, and super-punches...oh, and the dishes...what about a sidekick? A secret ID? Does he mascarade as anything else when the lights are off?

Unread 02/19/2004, 12:42 AM   #40
brekurboy1
Registered Member

General Martok in Star Trek Deep Space 9 only had one eye and he was a great hero He wore no eye patch and displayed the scars proudly.

Tim is a great hero of our time

brekurboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2004, 01:00 AM   #41
wetworx101
Moved On

Like I said, Martok was not a central hero, he was a supporting character. He fits the "sarge" persona as well as the "eye-patch" archetype perfectly.

Unread 02/19/2004, 11:09 AM   #42
DensityMan
Registered Member

Operation: Blushing Violet has begun in earnest as of this morning.

In an effort to not have to bribe Tim to pose for pictures I am removing much of the zoanthid-covered rockwork and corals to my main tank (after using a triple strength FE treatment of course :| ). My hope is that he will get used to (or be forced into) the open more often. I'm sure he comes out during the day when no one is around, but I want to cultivate that activity while I am home as well now. I miss having the tank on my desk at work. /grumble

this will also allow more room for the macro-algaes and plants to proliferate helping to'remove' nitrate build-up. The main pieces of his fortress of solitude are staying of course. Just the extraneous stuff is being removed.

He was already barking his displeasure this morning. While he hates change on general principles, he does love the smell of FlatwormExit in the morning.

Unread 02/19/2004, 11:23 AM   #43
biomekanic
Registered Member

Hello, Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D anyone?
No hero's with an eyepatch indeed...

Current Tank Info: Planning stages on a Gulf/Carribean nano
biomekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2004, 02:32 PM   #44
StinkyNappy
Registered Member

MORE!! this is an awesome thread..

Current Tank Info: One Tuff 300G, One 100G, 2 50G's.
StinkyNappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2004, 04:09 PM   #45
wetworx101
Moved On

Ahhh, you are correct...forgot about good ole Nick. Ok, a one-eye central super-hero is possible after all (although not the norm...I mean, who reads SHIELD anyways...??? LOL.)

Unread 03/14/2004, 08:46 PM   #46
dave2184
Registered Member

Any updates on tims exploits?

Cool mantis by the way.

"Oh ya - I missed one important point. There are other ways to deal with phosphates like phosphate sponges, but it's kind of like trying to fan the stink off a dead skunk." -looser
dave2184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2004, 12:30 AM   #47
Herbert T. Kornfeld
Moved On

Yeah, I was looking forward to more of Tim's adventures and the on-going wars of all the exo-warriors...

Herbert T. Kornfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2004, 04:14 AM   #48
Dakota_reef
Registered Member

I'm in too! Tim is so freakin' cool. Probably the coolest guy in an exo-skeleton I've ever heard of.

Eric T. Danielson

Unread 04/08/2004, 02:33 PM   #49
DensityMan
Registered Member

If it weren't for the tank glass being in desperate need of being cleaned and Tim getting embarrassed because I was trying to take pics of him while he was strolling around in a towel (he was being shy, regardless), this could've been a great shot to illustrate how BIG he has gotten over the past few months...

Alright, alright... so he's still only slightly more than 2 inches long, that's double his size when he was placed into my care.

I think the above shot of Tim may have been posted before; long, long ago - he still had both eyes. I post it again now because it is the last sighting of Kryptonite (under the ledge, opposite Tim, hanging upside down). The remains I pulled out back in January may well have been Kryptonite's after all...

I've seen Mr. WhyMe lurking about in the zoanthid patches being all secretive (cowardly?).

StrongBad is still doing great. I'm not sure that he and Tim have made an agreement, but I do image it would take some time for even Tim to crack through his stony home.

The wrasse and Tim are getting along famously. He doesn't bother Tim and if he has something that Tim wants he gives it up and runs away before Tim even has to tell him to give it up and run away.

I'm going to propt Tim to become more visually available to me and the camera tomorrow. It's bugging me that he's become shy again.

Maybe it's a self image thing and he's just not happy about his having gotten bigger. Anyone have the number of a good mantis shrink?

Unread 04/11/2004, 01:32 AM   #50
Ditries
Registered Member

this thread is awsome

Ditries is offline   Reply With Quote