Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/18/2017, 05:10 PM   #1
seafurn
Registered Member

Anemone tank

Hi am new to this forum, but have been keeping reef tanks since I was seven and am now twelve. I currently am building an anemone tank in which I will be keeping various species of anemones. I currently have a ten gallon nano that is houses some of the anemones I will keep in the mainly anenome tank. I will be having the 25 gallon fusion lagoon tank. I hope to keep various fish including my current clowns and as for anenomes I hope to keep long a long tentacle anemone, 5 or so rock flower anemones, and 2 or three bubble tip anemones. If you see any flaws in my plan please let me now and make sure to add your ideas for the tank as well. Thanks so much in advance.

seafurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 07:08 PM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

The tank is too small.
LTA need a deep sand bed, at least 3 inches, 4+ would be better.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 07:16 PM   #3
seafurn
Registered Member

is the tank to small for all anemones or just LTA, also thanks for letting me know it is to small. In the past I have kept many RFA's in my 10g no problem.

Unread 12/18/2017, 07:16 PM   #4
Cliving1
Registered Member

I think its awesome that your keeping a tank that young, I would of never been able to. There is a lot of good advice on here. I would suggest one anemone that will host your clowns. Good for thinking ahead and asking before doing.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 07:41 PM   #5
seafurn
Registered Member

ok so I am now thinking maybe a tank with RFAs which I am keeping one currently and a bubble tip that a friend's dad gave to me after his split. My clowns are tank raised and will not host the bubble tip. The lagoon tank should be arriving any day now so the clowns will be happier in their new environment. Does anyone have any advice for how to help my anemone to host the clowns.

Unread 12/18/2017, 11:28 PM   #6
b22
Registered Member

Man I wish I was lucky to start as early as you have.
It’s a waiting game. Some clowns find the nem and get hosted right away and other clown many never. Also what kind of clowns do you have?
Probably not the nicest thing to do but in the past I have put a nem and the clownfish in a small acclimation box together to get them paired.
Or I have put a fake nem in my qt with no other objects for the clowns to hide so the naturally swim and hide in the fake nem. When I put the clowns in my display they went straight to the real nem to hide and I got lucky with a instant hosting.

b22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 04:12 PM   #7
seafurn
Registered Member

I have true purcula clowns that are tank raised so there is like a 50 percent chance that they will host.

Unread 12/19/2017, 06:55 PM   #8
seafurn
Registered Member

it is still very small and the price in for size at my LFS the only good LFS in my area is way over priced and shipping to the midwest for some reason is crazy high. I am not willing to pay 70 dollars for shipping do you think the size of the new may be why they will not host it as well as that they are tank raised.

Unread 12/20/2017, 06:32 PM   #9
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafurn View Post
I have true purcula clowns that are tank raised so there is like a 50 percent chance that they will host.

I just put 55 percula (all tank raised) family clowns in my tank at once. There are 19 bta's, soon as the clowns hit the water they went straight into the bta's.

Tank #1: 180g "in the wall" ClownFish Harem Tank!

Current Tank Info: 180g In the wall build
Zagzoo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 07:54 PM   #10
seafurn
Registered Member

hi my anemone that I got 3 days ago has a gaping mouth and is expelling a large amount of brown slime. I know this could be bad so does anyone have any suggestions.

Unread 12/22/2017, 02:51 PM   #11
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafurn View Post
hi my anemone that I got 3 days ago has a gaping mouth and is expelling a large amount of brown slime. I know this could be bad so does anyone have any suggestions.
Start a new thread and post photos. We'll be happy to help.

Unread 12/22/2017, 02:53 PM   #12
D-Nak
Registered Member

Regarding hosting, it doesn't matter if the clown is wild or tank raised. Tank raised clowns not having a host anemone is a myth. I did read somewhere that if the parents raise the eggs near an anemone, the babies are able to recognize the smell when they are born. In other words, it's not a matter of wild or tank raised -- do the babies even know that they're tank raised or wild? I think not.