Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/29/2008, 12:38 PM   #26
The Beaut
Premium Member

Might be too much light. Chalices are a subdued lighting coral. They need to be slowly acclimated to bright light. The reason they are a large flat coral is because they are trying to get light from deaper waters. I had the same thing happen to me when i changes my lights. I killed 3 of my 5 chalices at the time and bleached the other 2. They recovered eventually.

The Beaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2008, 12:44 PM   #27
ianiwane
Registered Member.

Hmm, I have no clue now. I was thinking is was reef crystals related but I guess not. I doubt it is lighting as the OP did not state anything about changing his lights.

ianiwane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2008, 04:28 PM   #28
roblack
Registered Member

Had something similar happen over the holidays and lost a load of great chalices and micros. Thought I had parasites, but am convinced now that my alk had dropped too low. Small frags are very fragile and sensitive too alk fluctuations, larger corals seem to be able to take a little more.

It's weird bc I also noticed that sometimes it seemed to "jump" from one coral to the next. Perhaps related to some resiliency factor within the each coral, and corals may be affected differently by changes in water quality.

roblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2008, 04:37 PM   #29
Underwaterparadise
Registered Member

Low Alk will cause the flesh to peel away from the skeleton AKA melt away. Corals with the least amount of flesh seem to be effected first, ie. chalice corals IME

I am very curious though regarding parasites. As many as there are in the ocean there has to be some LPS eating ones!!

Current Tank Info: Taking a Vacation
Underwaterparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2008, 08:15 PM   #30
patedship
Moved On

I've heard that dosing VODKA and Vitamin C can work pretty well. I tried the vodka method but to no avail... I am going to order some Vitamin C and try the Interceptor treatment. I have a just set up a new tank and transfered everything over into it, I am assuming that my Alkalinity should be fine at this point in time. The coral melting started about a week maybe 2 prior to the tank transfer... it really baffles me as to the cause and it is really frustrating. As I have not added any new aussie into the tank for a while.

At this point in time I have lost about 5 aussie acan colonies and 2 echino frags (Grape Watermelon and a nice no namer) Today I went ahead and fragged my Tyree 4-Color/Golden Eye in half in order to remove the infected/eaten away part.

patedship is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2008, 09:08 PM   #31
ktar
Moved On

i have tested my alkalinity for the past two week everyday and it has not drop any lower than 9.6. It ranges from 10.4 to 9.6. i dont know if that is bad. it has been constantly at 9.6 to 9.9. calcium is 380 to 400. my mag rite now is sitting at 1200 is that an ok number i know some like it at 1400.

ktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2008, 09:13 PM   #32
roblack
Registered Member

"If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!" Keep fighting and looking for the answer. It was so weird to me that I was able to keep ALL of my sps (acros and montis), and lost most of the "easy" LPS stuff (chalice, micros, acans). I still have one chalice struggling, and the rest are all thriving and growing. Thinking about tossing the "weak" one after reading all of this...

roblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2008, 09:24 PM   #33
patedship
Moved On

Yeah I have tossed several of mine sadly. It gets to a point where there isnt anything to do with the colony it ****es me off.

patedship is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2008, 10:08 AM   #34
ktar
Moved On

i will use interceptor but was wondering if anyone knew how much i have to use for my 65 gall with a 20 gallon sump.

Unread 05/30/2008, 10:15 AM   #35
ianiwane
Registered Member.

1 large tab at regular dosing I think treats 300 gallons. But you can do up to 10 times the dosing with/out any harm.

Unread 05/30/2008, 10:20 AM   #36
ktar
Moved On

thank you for the info ianiwane. i will update once i get any results or see any difference. watever this thing is, it is attacking my watermelon chalice and it time to stop this.

Unread 05/30/2008, 10:37 AM   #37
JOSE CASAS
Registered Member

One large tab treats 380gls. I dont see how Interceptor would
help but i guess at this point anything is worth a try.

Iani can you send me a link to support that?

JOSE CASAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2008, 11:04 AM   #38
ianiwane
Registered Member.

I can't find the link right now. But I have also been told this (that you can dose up to 10 times the amount) many times by Mr. Ugly. But you are right about the 380 gallons per tab. When I say with out any harm I mean to your coral. Of couse its going to kill your shrimp and crabs. I've also done an interceptor treatment at the recommended dossage that didn't kill any shrimp or hermits.

Unread 05/30/2008, 11:51 AM   #39
JOSE CASAS
Registered Member

No promblem as i find it very interesting and would like to research it a bit further.Wish i could help and good luck as I understand how frustrating this could be.

Unread 05/30/2008, 12:07 PM   #40
ianiwane
Registered Member.

I am not saying it will help. Someone earlier mentioned that interceptor was the only thing that helped him.

Unread 05/30/2008, 01:49 PM   #41
ktar
Moved On

i have tried everything possible to stop this receding of the chalices and acan and nothing has work. i am 100% sure it is not my water quality. My friend which is the LFS owner has been in this hobby for over 15 years and never one time has thing just start to die for no reason or for a reason we can not seem to figure out. He has one of the nicest display tank ever. None of the SPS in his tank are affected either only attack his acan and chlices also. So if it is the water parameter being unstable would it not affect some of the more sensitive SPS. Just thought i mention this because everyone seem to think is the water quality or alkanity flucnuation that is causing recession. well will let you know how the corals do once i use the interceptor.

Unread 05/30/2008, 04:17 PM   #42
ReefMonger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JOSE CASAS
One large tab treats 380gls. I dont see how Interceptor would
help but i guess at this point anything is worth a try.

Iani can you send me a link to support that?
Well if its a parasite that is crustacean like and similar to a red bug why wouldnt the interceptor work?.

Ktar do your chalices have that white line and white threads at the point of recession?

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal
ReefMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2008, 04:57 PM   #43
WWC
Registered Member

I been having the same problem on 2 of my tanks for about a month now all I can say is that is not the water quality the problem but something else I'm loosing a fair amount of very valuable corals here and I have no answers for the problem.
I'm hoping for an answer soon.

WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2008, 05:10 PM   #44
JOSE CASAS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefMonger
Well if its a parasite that is crustacean like and similar to a red bug why wouldnt the interceptor work?.

Ktar do your chalices have that white line and white threads at the point of recession?
I know this is fustrating and without knowing what is is I would not just put anything in my tank just to see unless it was my last resort. So what Ktar promblem is he has parasites in his tank that are like redbugs?

Unread 05/30/2008, 05:21 PM   #45
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

I am still more curious about the inference of different pathogens and pests due to the new collecting of corals from a new collecting area; ie Australia.

This was discussed between a few locals when the aussie stuff started being flooded into the states. All of a sudden we were adding corals from new collection areas without any knowledge of what long term effects it may present. This is one of the main reasons I have never added any of these gorgeous specimens to my tank.

ktar- I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2008, 05:35 PM   #46
JOSE CASAS
Registered Member

I wonder if anyone is having or has had this promblem and has not added any Aussie creatures so we can see if we can rule out being a Aussie related promblem.

Unread 05/30/2008, 06:21 PM   #47
ktar
Moved On

how many miligram is needed for my 65 gallon i got some at the vet but it for a 2-10 lbs so each pill is only 2.3mg. i have to get some more from the vet for this process so i will try it on my 20gallon frag tank first i will move all the infected corals into the frag tank and treat it there. if this works and i see improvement in health i will do my 65 gallon.

Unread 05/30/2008, 06:54 PM   #48
pengelli
Registered Member

Hi Folks,
A really interesting thread, I am having similar problems over in the UK, however I have never heard of Interceptor is it some kind of vetereinary medicine? Can anyone tell me where I can find out more information about it with a veiw to sourcing it in the UK.
Thanks
Tim

pengelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2008, 06:55 PM   #49
JOSE CASAS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktar
how many miligram is needed for my 65 gallon i got some at the vet but it for a 2-10 lbs so each pill is only 2.3mg. i have to get some more from the vet for this process so i will try it on my 20gallon frag tank first i will move all the infected corals into the frag tank and treat it there. if this works and i see improvement in health i will do my 65 gallon.
Here you go http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopi...=439155#439155

Unread 05/30/2008, 07:37 PM   #50
Reefflections
Registered Member

I've haven't had a problem with any Chalice corals yet?But when I had the Japan Pink Acans.Eveyone did the same thing.Cutting them back didn't help a bit.Aslo a dip didn't much good either.Nothing really help the slow dieing process that took place.There was a little bit of info that could have cause this.But not positive either.That these acans were taken in deeper and cooler water.Where this was brought on by not maintaining them,in cooler water conditions.But the photo's that are posted,I saw the same effects.

Reefflections is offline   Reply With Quote