Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/20/2006, 04:13 PM   #101
rayjay
Registered Member

I have tried to start cultures from discs from FAF and failed each time, but left the bottles running and ended up with a green algae eventually starting, even though the disc was iso in one case.
I bought some live nannochloropsis, used that as a starter, and the same thing happened with that starter as well.
This live nanno I added an equal qty of sterilized water to and added the F2 and put it under lights. The culture faded and turned a little "whitish" and then started to green up again.
It went very dark in color but the color has a blue tint to it, unlike the original nanno concentrate before and after dilution.
This same blue tinted green algae is what has grown from the FAF discs I purchased, 1 nannochloropsis, 1 iso, and another motile one I forget the name of just at the moment.
Whatever it is, it grows well, and I have many 26g Rubbermaid containers of it growing, each under a 75 watt GE spot light.
Maybe someone knows what kind of algae is likely to grow in a container after the original culture crashes.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2006, 06:49 PM   #102
miska
Registered Member

There is a metod to sterilise the fito from bacteria and ciliates: double the sea salt for 2 days than dilute to the normal level and keep sterile .this is described at : www.plancton-shop.de

miska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2006, 10:56 AM   #103
rayjay
Registered Member

All the culture discs I used from Florida Aqua Farms are sterile but it still didn't work for me.
Also, your link doesn't work for me either.

Unread 12/22/2006, 11:50 AM   #104
GreshamH
Registered Member

Seeing how phyto was spelt (fito) I assumed the URL was wrong, here's the right one:

http://www.plankton-shop.de/

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2006, 01:47 PM   #105
melev
Moved On

For our german friends...http://www.plankton-shop.de/assets/o...ranleitung.pdf

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2006, 06:08 PM   #106
joanxavier
Registered Member

Hola a todos
No me expreso bien en inglés, pero si comprendo lo que se escribe. Agradeceria que alguien traduciera mi escrito.
Os muestro unas imagenes de mi visita a una empresa para la producción industrial de fitoplancton, situada en Cadiz (España)

La producción empieza con unas cepas selecionadas de la especie que se va a cultivar. En este caso concreto se trata de Nannochloropsis gaditana.
En esta foto podeis ver los inóculos para el cultivo

Estos cilindros son inoculados con las cepas. Podeis observar el color verde claro que indica una baja concentración de fitoplancton

Después de 7 dias aproximadamente, llegan a su máxima concentración. Se aprecia claramente el color verde oscuro de los cilindros.

Con los cilindros al máximo de concentración, se inoculan los biorreactores de 6000 litros de capacidad

Una semana más tarde el cultivo está completado, y listo para su comercialización.

Os explico algunos detalles para la producción de fitoplancton, que son muy interesantes para tener exito en el cultivo.
La iluminación del cultivo se realiza con tubos fluorescentes Sylvania Aquastar 10000 ºK. El fotoperiodo es de 24 h.
El fertilizante es producido por ellos, en base a una formuacion tipo Medio Walne. Se utiliza 1 ml. diario de fertilizante para 1L. de cultivo.
Los cultivos se suelen perder al llegar a su máxima concentración. Esto es provocado por el Co2, que causa una dramatica caida del PH.
Para la esterilización de los recipientes, se utiliza una mezcla de hipoclorito sodico y agua (150 ml hipoclorito / 850 ml. de agua). Esta mezcla se deja actuar durante 24 h.
Despues se enjuaga con agua
Se llenan otra vez los recipientes con una mezcla de acido clorhidrico de uso domestico (100 ml acido/ 900 ml de agua). Esta mezcla de deja actuar durante 6 h. para neutralizar cualquier resto de hipoclorito.
Se vuelve a enjuagar con agua, y ya está listo para ser usado.

Os muestro unas fotos de mi biorreactor DIY para fitoplancton y rotÃ*feros. Los cilindros más cortos son para el cultivo de rotÃ*fero, el más alto, para fitoplancton.

Feliz Navidad

joanxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2006, 06:41 PM   #107
antonsemrad
Registered Member

darnit
ok, I want to know what he said.
I wish I could speak/read spanish.

antonsemrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2006, 07:42 PM   #108
melev
Moved On

Oh man, that is awesome. I know some Spanish so I have some idea of what was discussed, but it just made me want a wall of phytoplankton growing in my living room just for the mad scientist look.

I'll see if I can round up a spanish speaking TRC member to translate.

Unread 12/23/2006, 08:55 AM   #109
saltwaterfishlover
Registered Member

Google translation

Hello to all I do not express myself well in English, but I include/understand what it is written. Agradeceria that somebody traduciera my writing. I show images to you of my visit a company for the industrial production of phytoplankton, located in Cadiz (Spain) The production begins with selecionadas stocks of the species that is going away to cultivate. In this tactical mission one is gaditana Nannochloropsis. In this photo podeis to see the inóculos for the culture

These cylinders are inoculated with the stocks. Podeis to observe clear the green color that it indicates a low concentration of phytoplankton

After 7 days approximately, they arrive at its Maxima concentration. The dark green color of the cylinders is appraised clearly.

With the concentration cylinders to the maximum, the biorreactores of 6000 liters of capacity inoculate

One week later the culture is completed, and ready for its commercialization. I explain some details to you for the phytoplankton production, that are very interesting to be successful in the culture. The illumination of the culture is made with fluorescent tubes Sylvania Aquastar 10000 ºK. Fotoperiodo is of 24 h. The fertilizer is produced by them, on the basis of one formuacion type Average Walne. 1 mililiter daily of fertilizer for 1L is used. of culture. The cultures usually lose when arriving at their Maxima concentration. This is caused by the CO2, that causes a dramatic fall of the PH. For the sterilization of the containers, it is used a mixture of sodico hipoclorito and water (150 850 hipoclorito mililiter/mililiter of water). This mixture is let act during 24 h. Later it is rinsed with water They again fill to the containers with a hydrochlorate acid mixture of use domestic servant (100 acid mililiter 900 mililiter of water). This mixture of lets act during 6 h. in order to neutralize any rest of hipoclorito. One becomes to rinse with water, and he is already ready to be used. I show to photos of my biorreactor DIY for phytoplankton and rotifers to you. The shortest cylinders are for the rotifer culture, upper, for phytoplankton.

Merry Christmas

saltwaterfishlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2006, 08:57 AM   #110
saltwaterfishlover
Registered Member

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

Unread 12/28/2006, 01:45 PM   #111
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Well, I'm certainly glad to hear that Joan didn't have that setup in her kitchen.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2006, 07:40 PM   #112
syntax357
Registered Member

Hello everyone! I just thought I would add my comments. melev
I use your website http://www.melevsreef.com/phytoplankton.html
to culture my phyto. I purchased a small bottle from ebay and I have had it growing since late summer. I had 1 bottle crash and that was my fault for not cleaning the bottle very well. I also use miracle grow in mine and have not had a problem yet. I am sorry that you are having trouble growing phyto, but you site has helped my so much and by the way I run my bubbles full open and still it gets dark green

syntax357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2006, 10:01 PM   #113
melev
Moved On

Syntax, when I started this thread, it was a long time ago. I've been growing it quite well for the past year now, as is listed on the page you linked. Thanks for taking the time to include your experience.

Unread 01/02/2007, 01:53 PM   #114
acroman
Registered Member

sorry to jump in late, but i use bleach to sterilize the water and container. i put 10 ml bleach in a 5 gallon carboy, and let it sit for 24 hours. then i add 2.5ml sodium thio and air to remove the chlorine. 24 hours later, i add the f/2 media and inoculate. as long as the air is filtered, and there is a plug to prevent bacteria/rotifers from entering the culture container, the culture should be able to be kept wihout crashing for months.

acroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2007, 12:11 AM   #115
rayjay
Registered Member

I guess you could say my air is not filtered.

Unread 01/13/2007, 10:19 PM   #116
jpitts101
Registered Member

what are the brown phyto's/phyto? i have some nano that has been going for a few months now and decided to try the DT's to try to get a different strain. well its brown, its not crashed its just a brown strain. anyone know what kind it is? i have continued to culture it and its doing great but i would like to know what strain it is? any help would be great, thanks in advance!

Current Tank Info: 180 sps dominant
jpitts101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2007, 11:17 PM   #117
acroman
Registered Member

its prolly chaetoceros, but without looking at it under a scope, theres no way to tell for sure.

Unread 01/14/2007, 10:04 PM   #118
ShadowViper
Registered Member

Question?
Melev when you say your bubbling your phyto, from your site, is that with just standard air or CO2.
If anyone has any feedback with pro's/con's of CO2 vs just air bubbling please feel free to speak up.

ShadowViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2007, 10:06 PM   #119
melev
Moved On

It is just air.

Unread 01/14/2007, 10:18 PM   #120
ShadowViper
Registered Member

Ty for a fast responce melev.

ShadowViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2007, 10:19 PM   #121
acroman
Registered Member

you only need CO2 if your culture is extremely dense, or the container is very large (commercial or research). otherwise plain air is much easier.

Unread 01/15/2007, 07:01 PM   #122
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

There is plenty of CO2 in the air to provide the carbon that phytoplankton needs. Increasing the level may help some but I would doubt it provides major benefits.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2007, 07:41 PM   #123
jpitts101
Registered Member

how fast can you split a culture? i've been going 10 days but it looks to be at its greenest at 5? im cultureing nannochlorpsis. thanks in advance

Current Tank Info: 180 sps dominant
jpitts101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2007, 09:09 PM   #124
billsreef
10 & Over Club

You can usually split a culture around 5 days

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2007, 12:05 AM   #125
melev
Moved On

If you have a density meter (it is a measuring stick made of plastic the is graduated with centimeter markings, it should read 2cm. At that point, it is ready to split.