Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/06/2018, 01:40 PM   #626
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Rams might Twitter something on here with hashtags or something new wave like the child of the 80’s he is

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2018, 03:41 PM   #627
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

The Ritteri's look good Nook! Glad to see the Rod's Perc's are tolerating the Pink skunks as well.

Unread 04/06/2018, 04:46 PM   #628
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
The Ritteri's look good Nook! Glad to see the Rod's Perc's are tolerating the Pink skunks as well.
It was tough the first day or two and then they gave up. The skunks were able to hide in the same anemone with them and they had trouble finding them

Unread 04/06/2018, 10:16 PM   #629
rams
ramtheory

YouTube? #nanooksreef

https://youtu.be/kdOc1ZS7rsI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: 60 cube tank, 93 cube tank
rams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2018, 10:34 PM   #630
rams
ramtheory

Nook's Reef!!

https://youtu.be/vGhSftSqva4

Nook’s Lake Tanganyika Tank. Special guest appearance “Chompers”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: 60 cube tank, 93 cube tank
rams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 05:54 AM   #631
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Thanks, Rams!

Unread 04/07/2018, 09:24 AM   #632
jtrasap
Elite Member

Love the rock work! Is that the Mariana trench I see in there?

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
jtrasap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 10:24 PM   #633
Ohiostreetz
Registered Member

Nice rock scape

Ohiostreetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 08:10 PM   #634
Misled
RC Mod

All good Nook!!!

Unread 04/20/2018, 08:42 PM   #635
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
All good Nook!!!
Thank you so much, Jesse!!

Unread 04/20/2018, 10:07 PM   #636
shred5
Registered Member

How was the pukani rock?

Unread 04/22/2018, 11:33 AM   #637
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
How was the pukani rock?
Rock has impressive, open shapes, plenty of deep areas that hold worms too. I got several oddball chitons that I’ll see out at night. Lots of colors of coralline algae as well.

Unread 04/22/2018, 07:28 PM   #638
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Rock has impressive, open shapes, plenty of deep areas that hold worms too. I got several oddball chitons that I’ll see out at night. Lots of colors of coralline algae as well.

Thanks..

Unread 08/30/2018, 10:34 PM   #639
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Updates coming soon.

Unread 09/21/2018, 06:56 AM   #640
shred5
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Updates coming soon.
Still waiting...

Unread 09/21/2018, 08:42 AM   #641
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I had a tough setback about 3 weeks ago One of my three Ritteri anemones came unattached right after I went to bed. Next morning before work when I checked my tanks, I noticed water on the floor, skimmer overflowing and water cloudy. Immediately saw many dead fish on the sand, then saw the magenta base of the Ritteri on the Tunze 6205. Lost 40 fish, 10 of them were with me for 10-15 years. Two pink skunks and two Rod’s black onyx percula were all fine.

I called work and told them I wouldn’t be coming in. Gathered towels for the floor, netted out as many fish as I could find, added 8 pounds of carbon to the sump and after cleaning up realized there wasn’t anything else to do but wait and see. I went to work a couple hours later, my wife brewed up 225 gallons of fresh saltwater and when I got home the tank was crystal clear, my acropora frags, clam and inverts were all just fine. I changed out the water and found the rest of the dead fish, minus a couple that I found skeletons of within a week or so. If my acropora frags had died, I might have just quit reefing altogether because I was so sad about my fish. I’ve always taken very good care of fish and rescued many that needed a good home.

I’ve since added a Klein’s butterfly from my 120 that I was taking down for aiptasia control and a big white damsel that jumped from my 300 gallon stock tank that I’m taking down. That damned damsel is digging my deep sand bed making a mess, which is why I never moved him into the tank or he’d be dead too. I’m trying to trap him now to put him in my 200 gallon sump.

I added a couple Kessil Tuna Blue lights for a couple outer edges of rock that needed more light, and I’m getting a frag package from Tim Herman next week, which should bring my spirits up. I’m selling the purple Ritteri to a friend and keeping the big yellow tipped Ritteri with the percula clowns. I’ll eventually get a few fish, but right now I’m focusing on growing corals.

Tough to update after stuff like this. I’ve lost tons of acropora over the years, lost some giant clams, but I’ve never had a fish loss and that really sucked.

Unread 09/21/2018, 08:59 AM   #642
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
I had a tough setback about 3 weeks ago One of my three Ritteri anemones came unattached right after I went to bed. Next morning before work when I checked my tanks, I noticed water on the floor, skimmer overflowing and water cloudy. Immediately saw many dead fish on the sand, then saw the magenta base of the Ritteri on the Tunze 6205. Lost 40 fish, 10 of them were with me for 10-15 years. Two pink skunks and two Rod’s black onyx percula were all fine.

I called work and told them I wouldn’t be coming in. Gathered towels for the floor, netted out as many fish as I could find, added 8 pounds of carbon to the sump and after cleaning up realized there wasn’t anything else to do but wait and see. I went to work a couple hours later, my wife brewed up 225 gallons of fresh saltwater and when I got home the tank was crystal clear, my acropora frags, clam and inverts were all just fine. I changed out the water and found the rest of the dead fish, minus a couple that I found skeletons of within a week or so. If my acropora frags had died, I might have just quit reefing altogether because I was so sad about my fish. I’ve always taken very good care of fish and rescued many that needed a good home.

I’ve since added a Klein’s butterfly from my 120 that I was taking down for aiptasia control and a big white damsel that jumped from my 300 gallon stock tank that I’m taking down. That damned damsel is digging my deep sand bed making a mess, which is why I never moved him into the tank or he’d be dead too. I’m trying to trap him now to put him in my 200 gallon sump.

I added a couple Kessil Tuna Blue lights for a couple outer edges of rock that needed more light, and I’m getting a frag package from Tim Herman next week, which should bring my spirits up. I’m selling the purple Ritteri to a friend and keeping the big yellow tipped Ritteri with the percula clowns. I’ll eventually get a few fish, but right now I’m focusing on growing corals.

Tough to update after stuff like this. I’ve lost tons of acropora over the years, lost some giant clams, but I’ve never had a fish loss and that really sucked.

That horrible and sorry to hear about that happening. It could have been allot worse and you saved allot and that is how you need to look at it.

I had a beautiful bta once let loose and right into the pump over night too. it did not do much but they are not as big as a magnifica anemone.

Last edited by shred5; 09/21/2018 at 09:32 AM.
shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 09:08 AM   #643
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Thanks! My arm was all rashed up from nematocysts stinging me the morning after. This happened Friday August 31st right before lights out I’m sure because my 10” red coris wrasse was still out, he typically buried every night 30 minutes before lights out. If it wasn’t a work night I would’ve been down there and probably noticed it.

Fortunately, years of doing the hobby, I knew what I could do to stop the carnage and potential bacterial soup if I didn’t go full mode clean up. I’m enjoying my Acro frags and plan on getting them growing for a few months. I’ll probably add some fish here and there after I set up a QT tank. I’ve been eyeing a Majestic Angel and another pair of bird wrasses, as well as a coris wrasse and melanarus wrasse.

Unread 10/08/2018, 07:10 AM   #644
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

That is so sad Nanook. Such a heartbreaking loss. I look forward to seeing what evolves out of the set up next.

Unread 10/11/2018, 03:25 AM   #645
Fishkeeper01
Registered Member

Unhappy

Quote:

I am sorry that this happened to you. I hope everything will be well

Fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2018, 07:28 PM   #646
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

With the help of two of my closest friends, we got the 300 gallon stock tank down that I setup before surgery back in June 2017. Since then, the 375g is now a Lake Tanganyikan tank with Frontosas, Gnathochromis, Calvus, Compressiceps and the little yellow cichlids. That tank is quite boring.

The 470 started in January 2018 has seen some amazing SPS frags from many successful hobbyists that sell occasionally, unfortunately, I’ve killed many of them in a seemingly poor learning curve. Things used to be easier when I kept them simple, so simple it is again.

Before going to storage (just in case):

My old frag tank is in place, still need to plumb and hang the Sirius XTC that Bill sells over it.

Fancy curtain to hide the Nook Engineering:

Unread 10/26/2018, 07:33 PM   #647
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Tuesday I’m getting a brown bird Wrasse, zebra Moray eel, snowflake eel and lawnmower blenny.

I just added a few Tongan LPS to the cube and when they open up I’ll try to get some pictures. My sps frags look kind of pathetic at present, I’m thinking GFO usage and before that carbon dosing. I also have a big white damsel that I had previously removed from the cube tank because he dug all the time. Unfortunately, the cat saw him jump out of the 300 gallon stock tank, started meowing while Ann was down here and in a moment of stupid heroism, I placed him back in the cube tank. I forgot his history of non stop digging and I felt pity that the Sargent Major was trying to kill him in the 300 gallon stock tank. Now I can’t catch the bastage with either of two traps, with nets, with hook and line or even with my Daisy 880(whilst drinking too much). It’s always something.

Unread 10/26/2018, 07:37 PM   #648
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

View from my chair, notice the big white damsel in the top right corner. Also notice the DSB rearranged below!

Unread 02/07/2020, 03:20 PM   #649
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

It's been too long since I posted an update to this thread. When I lost all my fish after the anemone debacle, and struggled with keeping acropora for a good year or more, I didn't have much to post about. Anyway, things have been somewhat stable for the last year or so and it was lucky that my good friend Rams came by with his fancy camera for some pics.

Thanks, Rams!!

Unread 02/07/2020, 03:22 PM   #650
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend