Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2015, 09:43 AM   #1
WayneL333
Registered Member

Captive bred G. Personatus in a reef tank

Hey everyone,

First I wanted to say thank you to both Rufus and Karen. Without their knowledge, skills and efforts, us hobbyists would never have this amazing opportunity to own these fascinating animals.

Since we're on the eve of the one year hatchday of these amazing creatures, I thought I start a thread to document my trio in my reef tank. Hopefully, the breeding program will be successful enough where a lot more of you hobbyists can eventually post your experiences of your own GP in your own reef tanks too!

It all started around the beginning of this year when Rufus and Karen finally sent me my trio of GP. All of us were giddy with excitement and laughter!

http://vid9.photobucket.com/albums/a...psg6imfsnv.mp4

I had to delay delivery of them for several months because my new reef tank took forever to finish. Anyway, I've kept it under wraps for awhile because I didn't want to jinx myself and wanted them safe in tank before I mentioned them.

I kept them isolated in my refugium because I wanted to condition them to my system. I wanted to fatten them up and not have them compete for getting food. I mainly wanted to get them a little larger before I released them in the display. I was worried that the smallest one was small enough to go through my overflow. Here they are in my 50g refugium:

http://vid9.photobucket.com/albums/a...psembiczsw.mp4

Finally, a few days ago I released them into my reef tank. I first put them in their own isolation boxes to see if any of my current fish would show any aggression to them. I was worried that either the Bandits or Interrupta would bully them. I was also concerned about my Gem and Black tang. I kept my LED's on the lowest setting just to ease them in. Anyway, here's a quick video of them in the isolation box:

http://vid9.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdyrp1dqs.mp4

None of the fish even came up to investigate so I decided it was time. I can't tell you how stressful it was to actually release them into the tank because in my 350g+ reef tank, once they're in there, there's no way to to get them out unless I tear all the rock work out. Trust me, been there and done that way too many times! I released one at first and everyone seem to leave it alone. It figured that after I released all three, the posturing would start!

Current Tank Info: Rebuilding...
WayneL333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 09:47 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneL333 View Post
Hey everyone,

First I wanted to say thank you to both Rufus and Karen. Without their knowledge, skills and efforts, us hobbyists would never have this amazing opportunity to own these fascinating animals.

Since we're on the eve of the one year hatchday of these amazing creatures, I thought I start a thread to document my trio in my reef tank. Hopefully, the breeding program will be successful enough where a lot more of you hobbyists can eventually post your experiences of your own GP in your own reef tanks too!

It all started around the beginning of this year when Rufus and Karen finally sent me my trio of GP. All of us were giddy with excitement and laughter!

http://vid9.photobucket.com/albums/a...psg6imfsnv.mp4

I had to delay delivery of them for several months because my new reef tank took forever to finish. Anyway, I've kept it under wraps for awhile because I didn't want to jinx myself and wanted them safe in tank before I mentioned them.

I kept them isolated in my refugium because I wanted to condition them to my system. I wanted to fatten them up and not have them compete for getting food. I mainly wanted to get them a little larger before I released them in the display. I was worried that the smallest one was small enough to go through my overflow. Here they are in my 50g refugium:

http://vid9.photobucket.com/albums/a...psembiczsw.mp4

Finally, a few days ago I released them into my reef tank. I first put them in their own isolation boxes to see if any of my current fish would show any aggression to them. I was worried that either the Bandits or Interrupta would bully them. I was also concerned about my Gem and Black tang. I kept my LED's on the lowest setting just to ease them in. Anyway, here's a quick video of them in the isolation box:

http://vid9.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdyrp1dqs.mp4

None of the fish even came up to investigate so I decided it was time. I can't tell you how stressful it was to actually release them into the tank because in my 350g+ reef tank, once they're in there, there's no way to to get them out unless I tear all the rock work out. Trust me, been there and done that way too many times! I released one at first and everyone seem to leave it alone. It figured that after I released all three, the posturing would start!
Thanks for sharing with us Wayne, I can only imagine the stress level involved with the whole process!

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 09:51 AM   #3
WayneL333
Registered Member

However, it didn't last long and soon everyone was living peacefully together.

Here's a video of them in their new home:

http://vid9.photobucket.com/albums/a...pspufqhzbs.mp4

And a few pictures:

I did catch the girls kind of nipping at my Blue Squammy:

I hope it was just them being curious. I'd hate to have to take the squammy out.

Anyway, I'll hopefully be updating this thread for a long time to come. I have to admit owning these fish is crazy worrisome, especially in a reef tank environment. You never know what kind of hitchhikers you're going to get on a piece of coral. I stare at them all the time just to make sure they're ok.

Luckily I have a second QT system. I'll just be QT'ing everything for much longer than I usually did!

Last edited by WayneL333; 03/02/2015 at 10:15 AM.
Unread 03/02/2015, 10:04 AM   #4
WayneL333
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Thanks for sharing with us Wayne, I can only imagine the stress level involved with the whole process!
It's definitely my pleasure! Yeah, I can only equate it to bringing my own children home for the first time! I'm sure it will subside with time.

Luckily with today's controller technology and a few web cams strategically placed, I don't have to be at home to obsess about them!

Unread 03/02/2015, 10:12 AM   #5
RDtrack
Registered Member

Beautiful, hopefully with your rearing experiences and success of Karen & company these captive bred and raised angels can one day be available for local LFS to afford and sell to their customer bases.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I know I have learned a lot from your postings and experiences.

RDtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 11:04 AM   #6
acesq
Registered Member

They are cuties. Such an amazing achievement for Karen and a huge step for the hobby. You clearly are giving them the care they deserve.

By the way, I love the sound of the femininus when its foraging. "crack, crack"

Unread 03/02/2015, 11:13 AM   #7
paka
Registered Member

Wayne,
You are such a good Gp dad! I've been extremely lucky to have the fish go to people like you and Ted and others who take excellent care of them and keep us updated with photos and info.
Your tank and the fish look awesome!

paka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 11:48 AM   #8
humaguy
Premium Member

wow, they look terrific!

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 12:37 PM   #9
jbvdhp
Registered Member

These are so nice. I wish I had the 20-30k for a pair of these.

Current Tank Info: 8' 240 gallons of headache
jbvdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 12:47 PM   #10
Deinonych
Registered Member

Amazing! Congrats on the transfer. That T. squamosa is huge! How long have you had it?

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 02:19 PM   #11
ian03
Registered Member

They look amazing, We can only dream of fish like that here in the UK

ian03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 08:43 PM   #12
ryanrid
Registered Member

stunning!

ryanrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 08:44 PM   #13
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Outstanding

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........®

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 09:58 PM   #14
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

So awesome, bro! As mentioned at Scott's after RAP... keep your doors locked

Keep up the great work, new tank is looking stellar

Make your animals Thrive, not just Survive.
stunreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 10:01 PM   #15
WayneL333
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunreefer View Post
So awesome, bro! As mentioned at Scott's after RAP... keep your doors locked

Keep up the great work, new tank is looking stellar
Thanks guys. Lol, doors double and tripled locked, ADT armed patrol, drop cams throughout the house, personal protection, etc!

Unread 03/17/2015, 09:07 AM   #16
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneL333 View Post
Thanks guys. Lol, doors double and tripled locked, ADT armed patrol, drop cams throughout the house, personal protection, etc!
....registered attack Shepard...don't even walk on the grass....

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2015, 09:28 AM   #17
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
Very nice... You will get bit!

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 03/17/2015, 10:02 AM   #18
snorvich
Team RC member

Outstanding.

Unread 03/17/2015, 11:41 AM   #19
WayneL333
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
Lol...it's more like my wife's attack Yorkie but I did train it to go for the jugular. It'll also wake the entire neighborhood up with its yapping!

Unread 03/17/2015, 03:43 PM   #20
myerst2
Registered Member

I'd feed the GP squamosas everyday if it meant watching them mature to adults. Best of luck and hope you see them mature to beautiful long lived adults.

Unread 03/17/2015, 04:25 PM   #21
jmareef1022
Registered Member

Congrats and amazing. ... glad to see that someone in this community have a pair of the masked angelfish ... thanks for sharing

jmareef1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2015, 05:05 PM   #22
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Still blown away by this every time I go through Ted's thread

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2015, 08:04 PM   #23
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Wayne and Ted are two in a small fraternity of Personatus owners... Just thankful they share with us!

Unread 03/20/2015, 03:26 PM   #24
WayneL333
Registered Member

Hey everyone,

I just got a GoPro and decided to shoot my reef tank! Sorry the video looks so bad and making you 'seasick' with all the motion - it's my first time shooting with it and using the editor. I promise the next video will be much better. But you guys can swim along with my GP's!

Unread 03/20/2015, 03:53 PM   #25
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Wayne, I just puked in my trash can next to my computer LOL... But seriously i love how the GPs and Bandits seem to investigate the GoPro! I also found it interesting that it seems every single snail you own was hanging on the back wall of you tank