Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Mbattles
Registered Member

Skimmer will not work please help

I set up my aquarium last month got live sand and a little lr.
And all I have in it are really large hermit crabs at the moment but put in a skimmer three days ago and it creates millions of bubbles that also go in the tank but the water level in the skimmer will not reach the bottom of the collection cup unless the air valve is turned off and there is no water level adjustment so it will not produce any foam.the skimmer hangs on the back of aquarium. I am trying to post pics but not sure how too yet.

Mbattles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2011, 06:04 PM   #2
JoeRonda
Made in the U.S.A.

Sounds like it needs adjusted, was there any directions with it? What brand is it? Maybe has to do with the effluent pipe adjustment. Does it have an outlet pipe that comes straight up, or is the outlet coming out of a 90 degree pvc piece?

JoeRonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Mbattles
Registered Member

It's a offbrand. I went cheap big mistake thus far. It's has a pump mounted in the aquarium with a u shaped pipe that attaches to the pump and at the base of the skimmer then it has a airline going into the front of the pump and air control valve. But no instructions at all. I will try to post pics. In the morning when I get off work.

Unread 04/02/2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Mbattles
Registered Member

Can I email you a pic and see if it looks like it setup right. I cannot post pics on here off of my phone. Thanks.

Unread 04/03/2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Mbattles
Registered Member

Ok I finally got it to start skimming since there is no water flow adjustment I took some small pieces of foam and wedged them in the overflow and now using the airvalve I can control the water level. But the skim isn't very dark it's a really weak tea color. To get it darker do I need more air or less. Thank you

Tags
skimmer will not work