Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2006, 05:41 PM   #1
cwegescheide
YOU have been ignored!

Probido? If what I saw is good then..

So I was in an LFS today, the location will remain nameless but this guy is a real Probido pusher. I overheard him saying to somebody on the phone when we started using Probido the colors in our display tank are really starting to POP!!! So I went over to his display and checked it out...

OMG the colors were TERRIBLE I couldn't believe it. ALL his corals were faded BIGTIME. Looked like his corals were all on their last leg. His "green slimer" was the color of a weak lemonade for instance. Needless to say I was less than impressed. I will say that I neglected to ask him what kelvin rating his bulbs were over that tank. Even if the bulbs were 6500 the colors were still terrible.

I don't know what his corals looked like before he started this stuff but they had to be totally bleached white for him to say his colors are starting to pop.

So... with that said... Can I see some tanks that have been running Probido for a while and hopefully before and after pics?

Thanks,
Chris

cwegescheide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2006, 12:23 AM   #2
Brad W
Registered Member

It's Prodibio. Did his corals look faded because his tank was nutrient poor from the additives or was there a bunch of algae and such possibly indicating other problems? Just curious about your impressions.

Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2006, 06:44 AM   #3
cwegescheide
YOU have been ignored!

Well I'm by no means an expert and I only saw his tank for a total of about 2 minutes but FWIW I saw no neusance algae to speak of.

I'm not trying to throw stones or anything but I was surprised at how the corals looked thats all. Especially from someone that is pushing the product..

Unread 04/21/2006, 02:47 PM   #4
Brad W
Registered Member

That is interesting.

I'll be curious to see how popular Prodibio and its apparent competitor, Reef-fresh, become. I'm interested in them but not going to pull the trigger until there is a little larger user base.

Unread 04/21/2006, 03:30 PM   #5
FSOL
Registered Member

You can't really criticize someone's tank when you don't know what it looked like before Prodibio use. Also, prodibio won't do miracles if your tank is dirty or has bad magnesium or alk or calcium levels.

I'v been using Prodibio Reef Booster, Biodigest, and Biomax for a month now and although haven't seen any insane coloration in the tank (might be too early), I also haven't seen any negative impacts either.

FSOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2006, 03:49 PM   #6
christa
Registered Member

I feel really stupid, what is Probido? Never heard of it.

Christa

christa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Brad W
Registered Member

It's product claims and usage are along the lines of Zeovit w/o the media (called Zeoliths, look like little rocks to me). If you know what that product line is.

These products all have several liquid components in their respective systems that when taken together are supposed to promote the growth of "special" bacteria that utilize and otherwise aid in the reduction of harmful (in excess) nutrients in your reef and at the same time feed your corals "good things" like amino acids and I guess the by-products of the bacterial films produced. Think clean, clean water and yet not starving your tank.

Supposed to make your corals prettier and grow better and judging from picture representations I've seen on various boards its use does appear to coincide with the keeping of some beautiful reefs. Is it the cause of the beautiful reef? Don't know yet.

Highly controversial.

Unread 04/21/2006, 09:15 PM   #8
cwegescheide
YOU have been ignored!

OK well I need to re-state myself. I went back in and talked to the owner a little bit..

Come to find out he just moved into that store about 3 or 4 months ago and his corals browned out on him from what he said. His tank also had a 50/50 mix of VHO's over the tank. He seems like a nice guy and I have no reason to doubt what he said..

Not trying to cause any waves here. I think I'm going to go in there every once in a while just to see how his corals are looking.

To be honest I'm not really satisfied with the color of my corals either so I don't have much room to talk!!!

I just overheard the tail end of a conversation and assumed this guy thought thats what nice looking corals looked like. I didn't get the whole story.

Unread 04/21/2006, 10:35 PM   #9
Brad W
Registered Member

Fair enough. Keep us posted.

Unread 04/22/2006, 02:16 PM   #10
tangblack
Moved On

Here is some info on prodibio.
iwans prodibio tank

tangblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2006, 11:29 AM   #11
FSOL
Registered Member

you know guys, every time I look at Iwan's tank, it looks so perfectly colored, I feel like this whole prodibio thing is a scam sometimes, and that he probably has fake corals all in his tank and claims it's Prodibio that made it like that.
It's just too perfectly colored w/ no RTN'd or not even a single SPS w/ a little brown on it. I hope I"m wrong, but how about we ask him for some macro shots of his tank, to see the corals and their polyp extensions close up.

FSOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2006, 10:58 AM   #12
robwsup
Premium Member

cwegescheide,
Thanks for coming into the store. As you stated, that 120 took a bad hit during our December move. Almost all of the corals browned out, and we had a big algae bloom, most likely from disturbing the sand bed. The tank is just now coming around.

We look forward to your next visit.

Current Tank Info: I own a LFS, so a bunch!
robwsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2006, 11:45 PM   #13
Glorfindel
Premium Member

FSOL,

Take a look at the video posted by Iwan - in the video section of this site. It is pretty long. Melev said that he wondered if the tank was real until he saw the video. Go download it - Iwans tank is no fake.

Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2006, 01:27 AM   #14
iwan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel
FSOL,

Take a look at the video posted by Iwan - in the video section of this site. It is pretty long. Melev said that he wondered if the tank was real until he saw the video. Go download it - Iwans tank is no fake.
Thank you. My tank i realy not a fake Here a video clip: http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...rrent=Film.flv

iwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2006, 01:55 AM   #15
iwan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FSOL
you know guys, every time I look at Iwan's tank, it looks so perfectly colored, I feel like this whole prodibio thing is a scam sometimes, and that he probably has fake corals all in his tank and claims it's Prodibio that made it like that.
It's just too perfectly colored w/ no RTN'd or not even a single SPS w/ a little brown on it. I hope I"m wrong, but how about we ask him for some macro shots of his tank, to see the corals and their polyp extensions close up.
Faked photos....... This are ancient stories.
I do not see any reason why I shall let the photos look better than the corals are in the reality. On the contrary, all visitors of my tank say: In the reality the corals are even more colored and more beautiful than on the photos.

iwan is offline   Reply With Quote