Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2020, 03:48 PM   #1
TheAviator
Registered Member

High Magnesium

Hello everyone. Sorry for my basic sounding questions. Ive never had a reef tank before and this is a pretty steep learning curve. But its fun learning!
I have a recently new 80gallon tank, about 6 months. Ive cycled and added my first chromis. I originally had 5 snails as well. All the snails died within a few days of adding to the tank. After doing some research, I've discovered high magnesium could be the cause. I tested for magnesium and sure enough, it tops the scale on the salifert magnesium test kit. So now ive tried to figure out where the magnesium is coming from. I tested my RODO water, 0 magnesium. Then I mixed fresh RODI water with FRITZ Pro Reef Pro Mix. I tested the fresh water, and again well over 1500ppm on the magnesium. Probably closer to 2000ppm if I had to guess. So my only guess at this point is, its coming from the salt. Has anyone had these same results with Fritz salt? Other than snails, is there a problem with being this high in magnesium? And finally, how do i lower this magnesium? Again, thank you all so much. This has been a steep learning curve and my wife is losing faith! With your help I think I can do this!

TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2020, 06:53 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Change your salt mix.
Parameters for major elements should be listed on the container.
If the test exceeds the limits of 1 syringe use another & add up the total.

Unread 02/15/2020, 07:42 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Mix up dry salt mix a bit to ensure MG and others have not settled.
Then test your MG.

Make sure you draw the reagent past the 1ml line, then slowly depress to the 1 ml line.

May be testing error, yes high mag can slow snails, but is rare.

Snails must be slowly acclimatized, or they die.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2020, 07:53 PM   #4
TheAviator
Registered Member

So I mixed up the bag pretty good before I put it in the water. The bag does say enhanced magnesium. Maybe they mean it! What salt do you all recommend with a little more consistency?

Unread 02/15/2020, 07:56 PM   #5
TheAviator
Registered Member

I also took a sample of my water to the LFS and he confirmed it’s about 2000ppm of milligrams.

Unread 02/15/2020, 08:17 PM   #6
heritage
Registered Member

I use instant ocean. $35 for a 200gal box can't beat that price and its been pretty consistent.

heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2020, 09:38 PM   #7
TheAviator
Registered Member

I’ve heard good things about instant ocean. It’s way less than Fritz. Think I’ll give it a shot.