Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/09/2018, 05:08 PM   #1
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

college major issues should I do marine bio

Okay so im a freshman in college and I'm a bio major and my plan has been to go into dentistry or orthodontics as I've been fascinated be teeth my whole life. I really like being a pre dental major but the program is terrible my bio teacher can't teach for crap and thinks a 65 is a good grade. Highest grade is a C which is what I think I have. Class avg is 48 btw has me worried about getting into dental school, parents think I should go into marine bio even tho we don't really have a program for it but I love fish and corals but idk about that because id have to move to the coast prob and kinda a hard field to make some good $. Another option is become a business major and get into the retail coral business. So anyone out there in the Dental, bio, coral business, marine field help me out please. I just don't wanna end up with a degree I can't do anything with. My parents have very high expectations my mom graduated kum lad and was on the presidents list every semester. Don't really want to change schools because of my golf scholarship and Ive met a lot friends and its close to home.

TheCamaroShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 05:18 PM   #2
Joe0813
Registered Member

do what you think you will be happy doing for the rest of your life

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 05:35 PM   #3
WVfishguy
Registered Member

An employee of mine had the same problem with a nut-job organic chemistry professor, who, of course, was tenured. As an undergrad, Professor Nut-job had his research stolen by his prof. and now he was out to flunk as many students as possible.

My guy took the organic class at another school, but took all his other classes at his original university. This worked well.

As an old guy with a degree, I'd recommend you stay in the medical field IF YOU CAN HANDLE IT. I've seen far too many students - a majority, actually - get into pre-med and drop it. You'd better be darned smart or willing to bust tail. If not, go into business.

Another associate of mine got into dentistry and found he HATED the tediousness of making dentures. He got a psych MD, but the college was dissed with him for dropping dentistry.

You've been warned, kid. Good luck.

EDIT - I hope you're not having trouble with an introductory bio class. I don't care how bad your prof is, if you can't handle that, you ain't got a chance in hell at med school.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 06:20 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I'm confused...one bad class and you want to change majors/schools?

Unread 12/09/2018, 07:10 PM   #5
Jason9488
Registered Member

Don't expect to make any money.....just be happy in the field

Jason9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 07:38 PM   #6
Turtlesteve
Registered Member

Couple of thoughts:

It's common to have profs that are brilliant but marginal at teaching. Getting tenure (in my field anyways) is most dependent on attracting R&D funding. A prof that's great at both is a rare bird.

Facing this situation in one or two classes happens to most, so if that's the extent of it I wouldn't be all that concerned - but you WILL have to learn the material on your own. This comes with the territory.

If it doesn't work out, it's better to cut bait early than in junior or senior year.

Keep in mind where you want to live. A highly specialized degree will severely limit your mobility. I ended up in this situation, as most jobs in my field are concentrated in areas I don't want to live.

Steve

Turtlesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 07:34 AM   #7
manateemark
Registered Member

Just remember that you’re always going to have some bad professors whether they are in marine bio or pre-dental. Not everyone is made out to be a teacher.

manateemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 08:19 AM   #8
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Stick with it, take the class over if you have to. I just wrote my dentist a check for five grand, think of the reef tank that would buy! Be practical, the idea of doing what you love is a load of c#@p.

Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 08:20 AM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Stay the course and relax, it’s just one
Moment in your life....chill

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 08:26 AM   #10
JWClark
Registered Member

Some good advice here. If you are truly interested in teeth you will come back around (I always wondered if dentists were fascinated by teeth or just did it for the money).

I have always been interested in the natural sciences but had a rough time in freshman organic chem so dropped it and changed my major to philosophy while still taking geo, psych, bio, and anthro/archaeology classes. Second semester of my sophomore year my animal behavior professor pulled my aside and basically said "what the hell are you doing" and pushed me back into my original track.

My junior year I re-took that organic chem class and it was a piece of cake--and I enjoyed it! Ended up dabbling in biochemistry on the side in grad school. Turns out I wasn't mentally mature enough to handle the class the first time around. Nothing really changed, I just matured a little and had learned how to assimilate, retain and manipulate new facts and information.

You never know where life will take you so do what you enjoy. However, be realistic about your capability for making a living from it. If you were my kid I would advise sticking it out.

As an undergrad your job is to learn. If interested in marine bio then take some classes on the side for fun and accept the increased workload.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 12:18 PM   #11
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamaroShow View Post
but I love fish and corals
...LMAO!!!

Listen man and listen hard....suck it up! I put myself through engineering school -- hated practically every minute of it. Met some truly a-hole professors who seriously could not give a damn about teaching -- they were all too focused on getting their research grants. For the most part, I was taught by grad-student Asian teaching-assistants. I can honestly say I learned nothing from a college-professor. The age-ole saying --"those who CAN, DO!....those who CAN'T, TEACH!" certainly was applicable in my case.

Anyway, you go to college to get a degree and become a good self-study. You get a job to make money, then you get hobbies for things you like to do with that money. Sorry kid -- but work is called "work" for a reason.

Dentistry isn't getting replaced by AI anytime soon. So stick with it.
Down the road when you are successful get yourself 10,000G shark-tank and study all the marine biology you want (as a Hobby!).

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 12:42 PM   #12
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

Thanks guys got my grades today D+ in bio but highest grade from him was a C so thats something to say I guess. I do like dentistry and think I could do it for the rest of life as its always a job you'll have and can do it anywhere.

Unread 12/10/2018, 02:13 PM   #13
pfan151
Registered Member

Major in something that will let you support yourself when you’re done. Too many young people major in things that have no chance to realistically provide a reasonable income. It’s great to do something you enjoy, but it’s even greater to not end up back living with your parents after college.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 02:37 PM   #14
jlmawp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamaroShow View Post
but the program is terrible my bio teacher can't teach for crap and thinks a 65 is a good grade. Highest grade is a C which is what I think I have. Class avg is 48 btw has me worried about getting into dental school
Won't the teacher then be grading on a curve? When I took high-level chemistry, an 85/200 was considered a B or B+, despite the percentage. I would clarify this with them first. I sincerely doubt the teacher/professor would be okay with his student averages coming in that low.

That said, you've got a lot going on in that paragraph, and I'm not entirely sure that people on a reef tank forum should be your go-to source for advice on this. You talk about not making enough money and having a degree you can't do anything with, but also talk about pressure from family because of their successes in college. You sound like you are putting WAYYY too much pressure on yourself. Nothing good will come of that, regardless of what you pick. Have you talked with a guidance counselor?

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 03:08 PM   #15
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Definitely stick with it. I majored in Civil Engineering and my first physics class was tought by a Cal tech Beyond Geek Rocket Science Professor.. seemed like everybody got D's.. Before quiting and saying this is not for me I retook the class, cuz I knew I could do better and didnt wanna stick with that D plus you need a C to take physics 2. The next teacher ended up being the most sincere caring professor on the planet and after receiving my A I had the confidence and know how to pass the remaining weed out physics coourses....Do what you love cuz going to work on MOndays to a job you hate is the worst feeling out there

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 03:47 PM   #16
biecacka
Registered Member

Stay and play golf. And let me know what school your at and when you can get me on your home course for the university, I’m not far from WV.

Also, stay the course, don’t let one teacher reroute your dreams of dentistry.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 12:39 PM   #17
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

You are going to let one jerk teacher change your whole life's direction? Wow! Life is full of jerks and I'll bet momma didn't raise you to be their victim.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 01:10 PM   #18
ClownNut
Registered Member

let's do a poll.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 02:33 PM   #19
FlatBrokeMedic
Registered Member

Stay the course, I know someone who went to school to be a marine biologist, she worked at Ripleys aquarium in Myrtle beach making close to minimum wage. Do what makes you happy but also figure in how you are going to pay the bills after graduation.

FlatBrokeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 04:53 PM   #20
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

To be perfectly blunt -- NO MONEY IN MARINE BIO --
I have a few friends in the field.

Unread 12/12/2018, 06:12 PM   #21
JWClark
Registered Member

Could join the Army and do marine mammal pathology. Have to be a vet though and this is a very small sliver of work for one or two of the few hundred vets we have. Rest of the work is public health and working dog related.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 08:44 AM   #22
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

When I was in college I listened to the consensus of my elders, in a nutshell “get a business degree, get a good job, make money”. I did, and was miserable for many years.
In my mid to late thirties I pursued something I actually had interest in and enjoyed. I struggled, financially and otherwise for a while, then made some progress and also had some setbacks.
I’m now 56, not rich, but financially secure and enjoy my life and work. I wonder what might have happened had I pursued something I liked years ago, but in truth, back then I was not as confident in myself.
Bottom line, my advice would be to seek out what you like and are interested in. Whoever said if you like what you do you’ll never work a day in your life was WRONG! Work is work, however, I sincerely believe you can enjoy what you do.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2018, 06:27 PM   #23
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Stay and play golf. And let me know what school your at and when you can get me on your home course for the university, I’m not far from WV.

Also, stay the course, don’t let one teacher reroute your dreams of dentistry.

Corey
its the jones course at oglebay, the school is wheeling jesuit university. Many people are leaving the school because its very unstable financial the school has had 3 presidents in a year and a half.

Unread 12/29/2018, 06:19 PM   #24
snorklr
Registered Member

i have no idea about how this stuff currently works, but 40+ years ago i went to the university of miami for marine bio....and found out when i got there that there were no undergrad marine bio classes, (thanks guidance counsellors)...i had to get a biology degree first, then i could take marine bio in grad school....thats when they informed me that out of every 600 freshman in the marine bio program , 2 would make it into their gradschool....i kinda looked around and realized i wasnt the sharpest knife in the drawer and cut my losses and changed majors....marine bio was the "field of the future" back then and it still is today...the job opportunities still arent there....what i'm trying to point out though is you'll probably need all the same bio prerequisites weather you go for marine or dentistry

snorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2018, 09:15 PM   #25
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

...... (Join the Military) become a HS or what ever a health rate is for the other services then get tuition assistance get out after 4 years with a associates degree. And you get paid and basically have no bills for that whole 4 years. I live on 200$ a month and the rest goes to saving and retirement while I work on my degree. It’s just gunna suck for a little bit just embrace the suck and get it done but Honestly not a bad gig

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote