Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2012, 03:20 PM   #476
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made2Rock View Post
Peter,

Its great to hear from you. I've been quietly following this for the last few months and love what I see it but you're a good 800 miles away and I won't be in the area till thanksgiving.

The biggest question I have is how do you like your lights?

Joe
I like my LED's very much and I am convinced that they have 'arrived' as far as functionality is concerned. I would still very much like to integrate them into my Lutron radio RA2 system which would give me complete control unlike anything else in the marketplace today but I think this is going to take a bit of time. I have in fact converted all the lights in my house (about 400) into LED's and I am very pleased with the results. I am very impressed with what lutron has accomplished as far as end user accessible programming for the whole home setting. It's awesome.

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2012, 03:23 PM   #477
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccadoc View Post
Thanks for the offer Peter, wished I lived closer.
Not to worry Scott......in time......this tank is not going anywhere for a long time!!!!

Peter

Unread 10/18/2012, 03:25 PM   #478
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
This tour could possibly cost me my mortgage but it definitely will be worth it.
You are waaaay too generous.......but it is going to be fun.

Peter

Unread 10/18/2012, 06:42 PM   #479
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

For those of you who are too far to make it here are some recent photos. Those of you who are in a warmer climate down south, enjoy the weather, it's getting cold up here EH!

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2012, 06:55 PM   #480
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Simply stunning.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2012, 07:45 PM   #481
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Simply stunning.
I completely agree with ya

Made2Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2012, 10:32 AM   #482
nuccadoc
Registered Member

Looks great Peter!

Current tank info: 34 gal Solana and a 400 gal FOWLR with 4-250 watt MH's, Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000, Korralin sulphur denitrator, 4-Koralia 7's. 120 gal LED sps reef in the works. Currently raising true Perc's.
nuccadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2012, 12:00 PM   #483
DNA
Registered Member

Sweet.

It looks like you just glued that directly on top of the cap.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2012, 12:35 PM   #484
Sleepingtiger
Registered Member

OMG, I can't read this thread no more. I'm only on page 30 on the original thread and all my plans to build a 280G reef feels like a drop in the atlantic ocean. This tank is truely stunning. I am speechless.

I am at work dreaming about winning the lottery to build something close to this. Words can't show how much I am amazed at the planning and dedication for this build. I think this rivals those public aquariums like the Shed aquarium.

Sleepingtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2012, 12:56 PM   #485
Briney Dave
Registered Member

mangroves are looking very good. any issues related to their growth yet? I am half way through adding about 225 starts to our system at school

Briney Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2012, 06:32 PM   #486
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Dave View Post
mangroves are looking very good. any issues related to their growth yet? I am half way through adding about 225 starts to our system at school
They are growing very well Dave. I can't tell you how well because I only have experience with these. I have not changed the two plasma lights that have been over them from the beginning. I plan to move to LEDs and compare the results. They are growing in miracle mud and the water moves at a fairly sedate rate through the hydroponic units. The growth has been phenomenal averaging about 3 ft with some trees growing more than 4ft. soon I am going to have to decide what to do with the taller trees by either pruning or controlling the growth around the entire fish room. The misters that we put around them fire up once every four hours for a minute and go along way to keep the salt off the leaves leaving the trees relatively maintenance free. Mr. Wilson will hand mist the tree trunks once a week and remove any dead leaves.

To be honest I'm not sure what else we could do that would make a difference.

Peter

Unread 10/20/2012, 05:39 AM   #487
Briney Dave
Registered Member

Thanks Peter, your tree growth rate is outstanding. Our budget will keep us on t-5s for the trees so we expect slower growth but that really is fine.

I wonder if you and the team noticed any ill-effects on the water quality parameters as the trees have grown. Some folks have warned about Mg levels being drawn down very fast. Others have brought up issues that I can't not fathom as being true. I believe those are cases of people parroting what one poster commented on in a unique event.

Briney Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2012, 06:00 PM   #488
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Peter,

I'm one of the people that doubt the value of the miracle mud. I believe the trees are pulling their nutrients from the miracle mud and not the water itself. I also wonder if the miracle mud adds nutrients to the water. I’m looked but have never found any real data on water in water off parameters.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Has anybody ever testing the water going into the mangroves and coming out? If memory serves me right you have slow flow and the length of those trays came to about 24' and I would be interested to see if there is any noticeable change in the water.

Joe

Unread 10/20/2012, 06:26 PM   #489
brockboi
Registered Member

I must say I'm quite excited for tomorrow. This is my Disneyland of adulthood! I picked up a few things today at the Coral Reef Shop and couldn't believe how many tickets were already gone after a half an hour. Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow and all your beautiful friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
For those in the area who might have an interest, Mr Wilson is organizing a tank tour of our tank on Sunday.....interested parties should pm Mr. Wilson directly for details..........

Peter

brockboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 06:11 AM   #490
swissgaurd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made2Rock View Post
Peter,

I'm one of the people that doubt the value of the miracle mud. I believe the trees are pulling their nutrients from the miracle mud and not the water itself. I also wonder if the miracle mud adds nutrients to the water. I’m looked but have never found any real data on water in water off parameters.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Has anybody ever testing the water going into the mangroves and coming out? If memory serves me right you have slow flow and the length of those trays came to about 24' and I would be interested to see if there is any noticeable change in the water.

Joe
i have done a test long time ago when i grew mangroves in mud.
i took a sample of mud and water strained it through a coffee filter and i got very high nitrate readings,i then took a sample from above the mud and had zero nitrates.

vic

swissgaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 03:14 PM   #491
Shoryureppa
Registered Member

I had the oppotunity to view this tank and support system today. When I saw it for the first time. I got quiet for a bit, a few minutes I woud say. Simply incredible. There are tons of photos on the thread but to see it in person and see the execution of this tank is something else. The support system, the lighting, equipment, etc, it's really amazing! But I have to say the best part was when Peter was talking about the hardships with the tank, AEFW. I mean, its pretty humbling to hear someone talk about stuff like that rather than I have the best this and that. Peter is probably as humble as it gets from my impression and a delight to talk to. It was hilarious to see the fish follow him like dogs when he fed them, just amazing!

Thank you Peter for sharing possibly the best private tank there is. Thank you!

Harold

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Mixed Reef, Vortech MP40
Shoryureppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 03:46 PM   #492
delamfe
Registered Member

Simply incredible

delamfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 05:00 PM   #493
MuffsAbby
Registered Member

I too had the good fortune to see Peter's tank this afternoon. It was mesmerizing! Clearly, a lot of work, time, patience and passion have gone into creating your beautiful slice of the ocean. I enjoyed the view from every angle and every side, and I found the fish room to be fascinating. The corals and the rock work are beautiful. The fish are stunning, and all look extremely healthy and well cared for. I too got a kick out of how the fish all swam toward Peter when they knew food was on the horizon.

Peter, thank you for your wonderful hospitality, and for sharing your dream and your learnings with others. As you know, I posted a few months back to say I was having many of the same troubles with my tank as you had in your early days. Over the past few months, I have been fortunate enough to work with Mr. Wilson, who has done a fabulous job fixing the prior problems. So, a big thanks to Shawn as well!

Current Tank Info: 150g fish only DT, with 2 ocellaris clowns, flagfin angel, bangaii cardinal, flame hawk pair and lyretail anthias.
MuffsAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 05:12 PM   #494
Hangman187
Registered Member

Thank you so much for hosting all of us today, not only was it a great day to ride the Bike all the way to Oakville, but by the time i could pick my jaw up off the ground think i ate every bug between your place and home! simple amazing, i can't belive how little justice that pictures do to this amazing tank and setup. I thank you again so much for this glimpse into your ocean side resort.

Scott

Hangman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 05:33 PM   #495
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissgaurd View Post
i have done a test long time ago when i grew mangroves in mud.
i took a sample of mud and water strained it through a coffee filter and i got very high nitrate readings,i then took a sample from above the mud and had zero nitrates.

vic
Vic,

What that tells me is the mud adds nitrate to the water which is what I suspected it would do. So from what I would think is that the mangroves are growing from the mud alone, but then they may be adding something else back in to the water which creates a more balanced environment.

Joe

Unread 10/21/2012, 05:59 PM   #496
brockboi
Registered Member

Well today I get to check another item off my "bucket list" as I continue to struggle regaining my breath! As stated in previous posts, the pictures do the tank, the fishroom, the fish or the corals absolutely no justice. I believe a camera is unable to pick up the subtleties or the colours throughout the tank, especially in the different lighting conditions. No disrespect intended for the photographers, videographers, and such as they have produced incredible pieces for us all to drool over. I stood in awe when the dusk/moonlights were turned on, "simply incredible" as Delamfe stated.

As I made my drive back home, I really started to appreciate what Peter has done for this community. I think we all take for granted the amount of time and effect Peter takes out of his personal life to share and interact with people he really doesn't know. Then to open up his home to approximately 50 strangers today, and not to "show off" what he has done, but to educate, appreciate, and keep that spark alive inside all of us reefers. What you have done is very thoughtful Peter and greatly appreciated by all.

Peter, Shawn, and the team have not only displayed their success (for us to envy!), but have also taken an unbelievable amount of time to open up and share their practices to better the reef community. For this, I believe we can all say we are forever indebted to you and your team. A big THANK YOU!

brockboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 06:12 PM   #497
Carant
Registered Member

Thank you Team Nineball

Hello All,

I too had the opportunity today to view Peter's tank and meet him and some of his team; Dave, Shawn and Shawn's lovely assistant.

Simply a living work of art and science that words and pictures can not do justice to.

This tank and thread have been amazing for Reef Central and the hobby as it is one of the prime examples of how the internet can be used to join a group of individuals with the common goal of sharing and learning.

Thank you Peter for your hospitality today and your time and commitment to the hobby.

Very few people have the resources to create a tank exactly like your’s, however, everyone that reads your Thread and wants to learn has no reason not to have the same kind of success whether their system is a 30, 65 or 600 gallons.

Thank you for not being selfish and just keeping your hobby to yourself. Sharing to the level you have is beyond the normal call of duty and we are all better off because of you.

Cheers,
Bruce and Claire

Carant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2012, 07:07 PM   #498
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoryureppa View Post
I had the oppotunity to view this tank and support system today. When I saw it for the first time. I got quiet for a bit, a few minutes I woud say. Simply incredible. There are tons of photos on the thread but to see it in person and see the execution of this tank is something else. The support system, the lighting, equipment, etc, it's really amazing! But I have to say the best part was when Peter was talking about the hardships with the tank, AEFW. I mean, its pretty humbling to hear someone talk about stuff like that rather than I have the best this and that. Peter is probably as humble as it gets from my impression and a delight to talk to. It was hilarious to see the fish follow him like dogs when he fed them, just amazing!

Thank you Peter for sharing possibly the best private tank there is. Thank you!

Harold
Harold thank you very much for your warm and enthusiastic support. This experience is very much a result of a community effort of knowledge and experience from Mr. Wilson, the brothers Grimm, Dave M., Rob Baxter and so very many members of the forum I can't even begin to count. Chingchai as you heard me acknowledge is and will continue to be my mentor in this hobby and I look forward to meeting him in Florida at the next MACNA 2013. This forum has been the source of so much support that I can honestly say that Mr. Wilson and everyone here deserves the credit for any success we might be experiencing.

Thank you again Harold.

Peter

Unread 10/21/2012, 07:08 PM   #499
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delamfe View Post
Simply incredible
Thank You......

Peter

Unread 10/21/2012, 07:43 PM   #500
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffsAbby View Post
I too had the good fortune to see Peter's tank this afternoon. It was mesmerizing! Clearly, a lot of work, time, patience and passion have gone into creating your beautiful slice of the ocean. I enjoyed the view from every angle and every side, and I found the fish room to be fascinating. The corals and the rock work are beautiful. The fish are stunning, and all look extremely healthy and well cared for. I too got a kick out of how the fish all swam toward Peter when they knew food was on the horizon.

Peter, thank you for your wonderful hospitality, and for sharing your dream and your learnings with others. As you know, I posted a few months back to say I was having many of the same troubles with my tank as you had in your early days. Over the past few months, I have been fortunate enough to work with Mr. Wilson, who has done a fabulous job fixing the prior problems. So, a big thanks to Shawn as well!
Thank you ever so much for the kind words of support. I very much agree with your acknowledgement of Mr. Wilson's contribution to our hobby, both professionally and personally. I am very happy with the health and vitality of my fish which is a direct result of the practices established by Chingchai and Mr. Wilson.

It was wonderful to meet you today and I look forward to more days like today...

Peter