Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2012, 03:15 PM   #26
nfrost
Registered Member

Salty55, thanks for the info. I was planning a similar setup with my fuge. Besides the extra space needed and actually getting water to the fuge the only disadvantage I could think of was the possibility of macroalgae getting into the display a little easier but the amount of pods making it into the display far out weigh that concern IMO.

nfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 03:40 PM   #27
salty55
Registered Member

As long as invasive species of macro isnt kept that shouldnt be a concern.

Ill try to post some pics of my system tonight. I love seeing other peoples designs myself. I searched forever for ideas when i was planning out my fuge, with little results. Who knows, it may give you some ideas.

As far as getting water to the fuge, that shouldnt be much of a problem. A maxi-jet 1200 in the sump will be MORE than enough flow if you dont have a manifold to tee off from. I MAY have 100gph going to my fuge.

Yeah, the space required for a display type fuge is the one downfall i didnt think to mention. That is the one thing that held me up on building mine for a long time. I just didnt know if it would be esthetically pleasing in a small living room like mine.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon display, 20 gallon sump, 20 gallon display fuge, vertex IN100 skimmer, apex, tunze 6055x2, tlc kalkreactor/phosreactor, APEX controlled LED

Last edited by salty55; 02/24/2012 at 03:49 PM.
salty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 09:18 PM   #28
salty55
Registered Member

Here's the pics that I promised. The project isn't anywhere near finished. It looks pretty baren in the pics. but there are some feather dusters, a coco worm, gracilaria, and a gorgonian in there. there are several Macro's on my wish list. They are all out of season I guess because nobody ever has any in stock.

A little closer view of the fuge itself. Here you can notice my DIY glass overflow box. FYI, I also painted the left side of the refugium so I wouldn't get any light bleed over from the main tank and vise versa.

And this is the overflow of the fuge going into the display tank.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon display, 20 gallon sump, 20 gallon display fuge, vertex IN100 skimmer, apex, tunze 6055x2, tlc kalkreactor/phosreactor, APEX controlled LED
Unread 02/27/2012, 09:00 PM   #29
Reef or Die
Registered Member

Wow. That look awesome! Exactly what I was looking for!
Question. What is the T for on the line from fuge to display tank? Also does your return feed the fuge and the return to the display tank? If so which pump do you use?
Thx

Reef or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2012, 09:07 PM   #30
salty55
Registered Member

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.
The tee is there to keep the drain from creating a siphon which will cause it to make slurping noises and a flushing effect. It probably wasnt really needed with such a low flow rate, but i didnt want to take any chances and have to cut and add one after everything was cured and running.

Yes, they both use the same pump. It is plumbed into a return manifold. Its currently an old mag 9.5. It was set up for a panworld 50pxx external pump. It died after only two months in service. Fyi, steer clear of those pumps. Their customer service sucks! They refused to warranty the pump, They will not communicate with you, and they wont even send your pump back after refusal to warranty a brand new pump that supposedly has a three year warranty.

Last edited by salty55; 02/27/2012 at 09:21 PM.
Unread 01/27/2018, 07:15 AM   #31
Bryan3536
Registered Member

Going to try to revive this old thread. I have a smaller sump without room for an internal fuge, so I am going to rig an external one using a 10g glass tank I have. My plan is to run a pump from my final sump chamber, to my reactor, and have my reactor drain into the fuge. Then I will have a 1” bulkhead gravity feed back into that final chamber (return right next to my return pumps). Think it will work? This is my first tank, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryan3536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 07:44 PM   #32
swiftvision
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan3536 View Post
Going to try to revive this old thread. I have a smaller sump without room for an internal fuge, so I am going to rig an external one using a 10g glass tank I have. My plan is to run a pump from my final sump chamber, to my reactor, and have my reactor drain into the fuge. Then I will have a 1” bulkhead gravity feed back into that final chamber (return right next to my return pumps). Think it will work? This is my first tank, ever.

It will work but you will have to raise your 10 gallon to make it over the top of the sump. You will also get drain noise (gurgalling). How do I know? I have the same setup but I tee my return to return a portion to the fuge then the fuge overflows via a 1" bulkhead into the center chamber right before the bubble trap and the output of the skimmer. Will take pic tonight.

Current Tank Info: 8 Gallon Nano Reef and custom 100G cube reef
swiftvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 06:59 PM   #33
Bryan3536
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftvision View Post
It will work but you will have to raise your 10 gallon to make it over the top of the sump. You will also get drain noise (gurgalling). How do I know? I have the same setup but I tee my return to return a portion to the fuge then the fuge overflows via a 1" bulkhead into the center chamber right before the bubble trap and the output of the skimmer. Will take pic tonight.

So I decided to just build a new sump.

Unread 02/20/2018, 06:41 AM   #34
JMetaxas
Registered Member

Good looking sump. Is that a 40 gal breeder?

JMetaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 07:38 AM   #35
Bryan3536
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMetaxas View Post
Good looking sump. Is that a 40 gal breeder?

No it’s actually an Aqueon 75g. And for what it’s worth, the ends were tempered (learned that hard way)! Had a do over the weekend after this photo was taken.

Unread 02/27/2018, 08:34 PM   #36
BrettDS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan3536 View Post
So I decided to just build a new sump.

What’s the small chamber on the left? It looks like water will just stagnate in there.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 05:33 AM   #37
Bryan3536
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDS View Post
What’s the small chamber on the left? It looks like water will just stagnate in there.

No, that’s where I plumbed my drains to, it has the highest flow in the sump. Drains plumbed to ~4” from bottoms of first (left) chamber, overflows to filter socks, then to skimmer compartment, goes through first bubble trap (where my heater is) to my fuge, second bubble trap to final (right) chamber where my pumps are. Here it is plumbed.