Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2018, 05:42 AM   #1
gsiegel
Registered Member

Nicest looking anthias

I am not talking about the standard Anthias that you would typically see but is there something out there that is different and even more colorful? For example, here is the flyer for the reef show coming up in Orlando. Is this actually a real anthias??����. I would like to add a few to my already existing tank, and not looking for the standard ones you would normally see but something incredibly eye popping.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0228.jpg (55.1 KB, 138 views)
300g mixed reef-BlueHippo/Midas&bicolorBenny/2FlameHawks/CoralBeauty/MagFoxFace/spotted rabbit/BlondNaso/2clowns/PurpleTang/chevron tang/2lyretails/wrasses-pintail,2flame,lineatus,radiant,pink margin,
gsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 06:10 AM   #2
ClownNut
Registered Member

yes,(ventralis) and as i understand it, they are deep water anthias, so unless you have a dim tank that dont keep corals, they wont do went.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 08:09 AM   #3
Bpb
Registered Member

Fathead sunburst are the most attractive to my eye. While the blotched anthias are super expensive, I don’t find them all that nice looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 09:43 AM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I would steer clear of the ventralis. As noted, it's a deep water anthias that doesn't always adapt well to a bright tank and needs cooler temperatures (nominally 74 or less). It's also a smaller fish and not always comfortable with larger tankmates. Bimacs are my favorite 'non standard' anthias. Colorful, tolerant of aggressive tankmates, and a good eater. Not always the easiest fish to get through QT, but hardy once you do.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 10:17 AM   #5
gsiegel
Registered Member

Thanks - already have 2 sunburst - 1 of them is about 3-4 inches long and also have a gorgeous pink square that is huge (I guess the equivalent of a supermale if it was a wrasse). Photos below.

I have never seen anything as in the ad I included in the original post for the Orlando Reef show and just made me wonder if I was missing something.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg anthias1.jpg (55.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg anthias3.jpg (66.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg anthias4.jpg (67.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg anthias5.jpg (60.4 KB, 53 views)
300g mixed reef-BlueHippo/Midas&bicolorBenny/2FlameHawks/CoralBeauty/MagFoxFace/spotted rabbit/BlondNaso/2clowns/PurpleTang/chevron tang/2lyretails/wrasses-pintail,2flame,lineatus,radiant,pink margin,
Unread 03/18/2018, 10:30 AM   #6
d-man
Registered Member

They can tolerate tank mates fine. They’ll hang out more around caves in lit tanks and adapt readily if, IF you can get them eating. I had 4 I got for someone 3 days ago and they ate on the third day of being in my holding tank right in front of us. Fed them Reef caviar which enticed one then the other three ventured over. They are going into a buddy’s tank that is an amazing sps tank that many people buy from online. He has no problem ever getting these guys to live. His last batch of 8 went to 6 I believe and has them a couple yrs until something got into his tank and wiped out 75% of his fish within a few days. Unfortunately the ventralis and lots of wrasses/tangs didn’t survive the episode

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Apercula
Registered Member

Even with the basic Lyretail, there is significant differences in color based on region from which they were selected. Mine was from The Maldives, males from Tonga are more purple, and the common Indo males are much more plain.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2402.jpg (88.0 KB, 74 views)
Apercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 11:52 AM   #8
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Imo nothing can beat purple queen anthias.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 12:30 PM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Never been much of a fan of the fathead (not a pseudoanthis like all/most of the rest); though that squamipinnis/square male looks great.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 12:33 PM   #10
Bent
I got nothin'

I like the good ole bimac if you ask me.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 05:37 PM   #11
Fredfish
Registered Member

I've seen the Ventralis in a store once and they are stunning. Everything I've heard about them matches what Ca1ore wrote. They are also rather pricey.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder thought. I really like Ignatus and Dispars

Unread 03/18/2018, 06:28 PM   #12
gsiegel
Registered Member

I appreciate everyone's input - so in my original post with the flyer attached - is that a real anthias with all of those colors including the green on its fin that I have never seen before or just a crazy photo shopped ventralis?

Unread 03/19/2018, 12:31 AM   #13
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsiegel View Post
I appreciate everyone's input - so in my original post with the flyer attached - is that a real anthias with all of those colors including the green on its fin that I have never seen before or just a crazy photo shopped ventralis?
That is the Polynesian and south japan variety. It doesn't look that green in-person under normal light. Fin is maybe slightly green, more like yellow with a hint of green. Rest of the clots and patters is the same as pictured. But under strong actinic lights, a camera makes the back of the fin look much more green than it is.

Not necessarily photoshopped, but more like color saturating a camera with actinic light, similar to how corals are made to look much better in pictures.

https://reefs.com/2016/05/09/updated...-biogeography/

Last edited by Tripod1404; 03/19/2018 at 12:39 AM.
Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 05:53 AM   #14
oldhead
Registered Member

A little blurry but here is my purple queen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 06:07 AM   #15
gsiegel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
A little blurry but here is my purple queen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks - have tried them in the past but have not had luck long term

Unread 03/19/2018, 06:35 AM   #16
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsiegel View Post
Thanks - have tried them in the past but have not had luck long term
Yes, I'm a little worried. I bought two originally. The other one didn't make it through QT. This one eats like a pig so I have high hopes for it. It now eats the bigger pellets with the other fish, along with mysis and flake food.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 08:11 AM   #17
d-man
Registered Member

Gsiegel- the ventralis from the coral sea have yellow fins, not green. That is saturated as stated.
There is also the Hawaiian variant which is also stunning but less available in the hobby especially now with the collection laws and large holed nets now.

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 09:35 AM   #18
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

I saw these at the California Academy of Sciences. They didnt have a name yet and where just labed as a new species, I think they were found in some very deep water. I doubt you'll ever find one for sale, but I thought they looked super cool and unique.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3034.jpg (64.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3033.jpg (68.5 KB, 41 views)
Frost_Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 11:02 AM   #19
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost_Hydra View Post
I saw these at the California Academy of Sciences. They didnt have a name yet and where just labed as a new species, I think they were found in some very deep water. I doubt you'll ever find one for sale, but I thought they looked super cool and unique.
I think these are in the tank that's got a continuous live feed system on it.

This is something to keep in mind when considering the species of Anthias. Many need to eat throughout the day in order to be healthy, and unless you can feed them often, and get them eating prepared food, they'll slowly starve to death.