Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2018, 02:59 PM   #1
Antegon
Registered Member

Adding more/drilling a pre-drilled corner overflow

Working on a 75g build. The tank is pre-drilled, and only comes with one drain and one return. I would like to avoid learning how to drill glass on this tank I already bought, haha, but I have read a lot of horror stories from tanks without proper redundancies in place. The pipe is big, and I believe of the durso design. (Curved-over, downward-facing main intake, with airline coming out an inch at the top, and a 1/2" hole drilled in the pipe directly below the airline, about an inch down, and about an inch above the main intake opening level.) It's 1 1/2" pipe, down to an inch at the bulkhead. Can I get away with this, or is it absolutely nessassary to drill another line or 2 for a herbie/bean animal set up?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 06:16 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Single pipe systems can work...but are typically more noisy and less failsafe...
You just need a valve on the pump output to valve it down to help lower the noise and pay more attention that it doesnt get clogged

Unread 03/11/2018, 06:27 PM   #3
Antegon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Single pipe systems can work...but are typically more noisy and less failsafe...
You just need a valve on the pump output to valve it down to help lower the noise and pay more attention that it doesnt get clogged

Thanks! I will definitely make sure to have a control valve on the return line. Would you put that before or after a check valve in the line?
I’m torn on whether or not to attempt the glass drilling. I believe myself somewhat capable? Haha, just worried about having to drill so close to the other, already drilled holes. To attempt the drill and risk it, or to live long term with the single pipe? And would a two pipe design be enough of an upgrade to be worth the risk of drilling, or do you really need the three pipe, bean animal set up to achieve the gains in noise reduction and redundant safety? I don’t think there’s any way to get Two additional bulkheads, no matter the drilling skill.

Unread 03/11/2018, 08:38 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Check valves will eventually fail...antisiphon holes are a much better plan

Unread 03/11/2018, 09:09 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I would not try to squeeze a third hole in the bottom. Some bottoms are tempered after being drilled, so that would not end well. Plus there isn't really enough space. Much better to put another hole in the back of the overflow.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 03/12/2018 at 08:16 AM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 04:42 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Much bette to put an joke in the back of the overflow.
I sense a "damn spellcheck" coming in the future...
Or damn fat fingers..

Unread 03/12/2018, 06:54 AM   #7
Antegon
Registered Member

Quote:
Check valves will eventually fail...antisiphon holes are a much better plan

Cool, thanks! So that’s just a hole installed somewhere near the top of the return, before the outlet/locs? I’m seeing some things like store bought valves and some random diy but no clear winner haha.

Unread 03/12/2018, 06:56 AM   #8
Antegon
Registered Member

Quote:
I would no try to squeeze a third hole in the bottom. Some bottoms are tempered after being drilled, so that would not end well. Plus there isn't really enough space. Much bette to put an joke in the back of the overflow.

Good to know on the tempered glass! Glad that decision was made easy, thanks!
So you suggest adding a hole/s in the back of the glass of the overflow section of the tank? Same process, just a safer drill area, and you would just 90 degree elbow the line at the hole going up?

Unread 03/12/2018, 08:20 AM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
I sense a "damn spellcheck" coming in the future...
Or damn fat fingers..
Arrgh ..... in my case, both!!

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 03/12/2018, 08:21 AM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antegon View Post
So you suggest adding a hole/s in the back of the glass of the overflow section of the tank? Same process, just a safer drill area, and you would just 90 degree elbow the line at the hole going up?
That is what I would do, yes.

Unread 03/12/2018, 08:33 AM   #11
Antegon
Registered Member

Quote:
That is what I would do, yes.

Great, thanks! I’ll let y’all know if it works or if I need a new tank again haha.

Unread 03/18/2018, 08:18 PM   #12
BrettDS
Registered Member

This tank already has two holes drilled, right? One for the drain and one for the return. The other option is to use both holes for a herbie style drain and run the return up and over the back of the tank. No extra drilling needed.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 06:33 AM   #13
Antegon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDS View Post
This tank already has two holes drilled, right? One for the drain and one for the return. The other option is to use both holes for a herbie style drain and run the return up and over the back of the tank. No extra drilling needed.

That’s correct. Two 1” bottom bulkheads. I think that’s the right plan with the Herbie for sure. Thinking I can just run the return line up to a straight vertical 3/4” pvc line that double elbows over the back and into the lock line like you said. Thanks for the tip!

Do you think the flow restriction from the double elbow over the side of the tank is concern enough to find a different plan?

Unread 03/19/2018, 06:46 AM   #14
BrettDS
Registered Member

Quote:
That’s correct. Two 1” bottom bulkheads. I think that’s the right plan with the Herbie for sure. Thinking I can just run the return line up to a straight vertical 3/4” pvc line that double elbows over the back and into the lock line like you said. Thanks for the tip!

Do you think the flow restriction from the double elbow over the side of the tank is concern enough to find a different plan?

I don’t think it’s a problem at all. In fact, it’s the way that my tank is set up

Unread 03/19/2018, 07:09 AM   #15
Antegon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDS View Post
I don’t think it’s a problem at all. In fact, it’s the way that my tank is set up

Great! Mind if I ask what return flow you run? Any noise issues at all?

Unread 03/19/2018, 09:46 AM   #16
BrettDS
Registered Member

Quote:
Great! Mind if I ask what return flow you run? Any noise issues at all?

My 220 tank has two overflows, each configured as a herbie. As far as return flow, that’s so hard to say as it difficult to estimate head loss and there’s no guarantee that pump ratings are really accurate. But I can say that I’m using two Jebao DC12000 return pumps running at 80%.

The pumps are rated at about 2000GPH at the 5 feet of head that I have, so between the two of them that would be about 4000GPH, but I’m only running them at 80%, so that’s 3200GPH. I’m sure there are additional head losses from the plumbing and I don’t know that the official rating is accurate. I think the Chinese pump manufacturers tend to overestimate.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s on the order of 1500GPH. I’ve been thinking about getting the apex flow meters. Maybe I need to break down and do that.

Again, though, my flow is split between two overflows each with their own herbie configuration. Even so it is very quiet.