Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2011, 02:12 PM   #1
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Question Tisbe pods

My LFS can only get tisbe pods from their wholesaler, so I was wanting some opinions on these. I don't have a fuge, I was going to add them directly to my fishless reef. I guess I'm wanting them as detritivores and possibly as Mandarin food down the road.

b0bab0ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 02:39 PM   #2
djkms
Fish Freak

Adding Tisbe pods to your fishless reef should be fine and they should multiply. IMO tisbe pods are the best copepod for Mandarins to feed on. Tisbe pods spend most of their time on the rock and substrate which is where the mandarin feeds. Other pods like Tigger spend most their time in the water column. How often do you see a mandarin eating from the water column?

Having your pods eating detritus is fine and a Mandarin will survive off of copepods that eat detritus but I recommend feeding your tank a phytoplankton that the tisbe pods will consume. Copepods are like anything else, they are what they eat and phytoplankton is much more nutritious then detritus which makes a more nutritious meal for the mandarin.

Current Tank Info: 225 Upgrade Setup 11/17/2012 72x27x27 - Custom 40g sump/Diablo DCS-250int skimmer/Blueline HD40x/2 MP40's/Tunze ATO/2 Part/BRS RODI/ Neptune apex, WXM/3 Radium 250w Galaxy Ballast/8 39w T5's/Litermeter III/Aquavitro Salinity/20%WC/Carbon/GFO/Vinegar
djkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 03:11 PM   #3
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkms View Post
Adding Tisbe pods to your fishless reef should be fine and they should multiply. IMO tisbe pods are the best copepod for Mandarins to feed on. Tisbe pods spend most of their time on the rock and substrate which is where the mandarin feeds. Other pods like Tigger spend most their time in the water column. How often do you see a mandarin eating from the water column?

Having your pods eating detritus is fine and a Mandarin will survive off of copepods that eat detritus but I recommend feeding your tank a phytoplankton that the tisbe pods will consume. Copepods are like anything else, they are what they eat and phytoplankton is much more nutritious then detritus which makes a more nutritious meal for the mandarin.
Thanks for the feedback! I have a sponge, so I feed my tank phytoplankton 2x a week anyway. So that works out. My tank is fallow right now (due to a Flukes outbreak), but eventually I will be adding back a clown, chromis and PB Tang that I have in QT. I'm guessing those 3 fish won't put much of a dent in the pod population, esp the tang. I'm really hoping these Tisbe pods will help out with the detritus I'm constantly sucking off my sand. It's gotten a lot better since I added a fighting conch, but my shrimp, snails and hermit crabs don't seem interested in eating it.

Unread 05/04/2011, 03:18 PM   #4
djkms
Fish Freak

Those fish shouldn't bother the pod population. I don't think the tisbe pods will do much with your detritus issue though. They do eat detritus but I doubt you will notice a difference because of how small they are.

I too get detritus buildup in my substrate - mainly because of the type of substrate I have (caribsea super reef) and my CUC did little to help. I picked up a diamond goby and let me tell you, he keeps all of my substrate clean and I mean all of it. He is constantly working. Not sure if he is eating it or just pushing it into the water column (maybe both) but its working!

Current Tank Info: 225 Upgrade Setup 11/17/2012 72x27x27 - Custom 40g sump/Diablo DCS-250int skimmer/Blueline HD40x/2 MP40's/Tunze ATO/2 Part/BRS RODI/ Neptune apex, WXM/3 Radium 250w Galaxy Ballast/8 39w T5's/Litermeter III/Aquavitro Salinity/20%WC/Carbon/GFO/Vinegar
djkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 03:44 PM   #5
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkms View Post
Those fish shouldn't bother the pod population. I don't think the tisbe pods will do much with your detritus issue though. They do eat detritus but I doubt you will notice a difference because of how small they are.

I too get detritus buildup in my substrate - mainly because of the type of substrate I have (caribsea super reef) and my CUC did little to help. I picked up a diamond goby and let me tell you, he keeps all of my substrate clean and I mean all of it. He is constantly working. Not sure if he is eating it or just pushing it into the water column (maybe both) but its working!
Yeah, some sort of sand-sifting goby is in my future once I get past this fallow period and everything gets sorted out. I'm a little hesitant to get a diamond goby as I know from past experience they like to swim upwards as they sift, throwing sand everywhere. And I have a few LPS right near the bottom.

Tags
copepods, pods, tisbe, tisbe pods