Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2014, 07:09 PM   #1
reefer0714
Registered Member

Hole-in-head disease: PLEASE HELP!!!

I just received a tank and fish from my brother in law. He had to move and could not bring the tank to his new place. He originally had a 120 gallon tank(which he kept), but he gave me a 40 gallon tank, all of his fish, his bio balls, his artificial coral, and most of his water from that tank.

When we first set it up, we did not have time to properly cycle the tank, so we added live sand and put the fish in the same day. I bought a sump, hooked it all up and the fish survived and were doing well for a while.

I have been doing water changes, watching the levels, and they seemed to be doing well until recently. My PH is a little low(like 7.8-8.0), and the Nitrates were very high for the first month, but have come down to around 40-60ppm. I think my fish have "hole-in-the-head" disease, and maybe ich as well. I have noticed see through ulcers around their head, erosion on their fins, white stringy puffy looking stuff attached, etc. My Blue Tang had the white spots (ich) for a few days, but after water changes, it seemed to go away. They are swimming sideways sometimes, rubbing against rocks, and darting back and forth.

My current stock is: 1 Blue tang, 1 Watchmen Gobi, 1 Sailfin Tang, 2 Clowns, and 2 Cardinals. My sump has: White Poly Pads + Black carbon pads, bio-balls, carbon pillow, and ceramic cylindars - 700gph. Tank is 40 gallon, live sand, artificial coral.

I am new at this, and I am unsure what or how many problems I have going on! I want to try and save these fish! I know my tank is probably overcrowded(overstocked). What can I do?! I heard good and bad things about "melafix", "pimafix", aquarium salt, copper, etc. I am afraid to try any of those products, unless it is necessary.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

reefer0714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Yes, the tank is way too small for those tangs which is stressing them out not too mention the water parameters are not optimal. It sounds like they have ich (cryptocaryon). You may want to read the stickies at the top of the forum for treatments.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2014, 10:27 PM   #3
reefer0714
Registered Member

Yeah, I figured that was the case. I will try treating the tank, but I have no other tank to move the tangs into. I am not sure what to do about the overcrowding/tank size problem. Thanks for your help!

Unread 01/09/2014, 12:33 AM   #4
Beefy_Reefy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer0714 View Post
Yeah, I figured that was the case. I will try treating the tank, but I have no other tank to move the tangs into. I am not sure what to do about the overcrowding/tank size problem. Thanks for your help!
Give the Tangs away. Find them a decent sized home..

Beefy_Reefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2014, 12:43 PM   #5
reefer0714
Registered Member

I will try to find them a home, but i don't really know anyone local who would be able to take them. I will ask my local aquarium store if they know anyone who can adopt them.

Thanks!

Unread 01/09/2014, 06:52 PM   #6
reefer0714
Registered Member

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with MELAFIX/PIMAFIX? Since I do not have access to a quarantine tank, what is the best treatment (in the display tank) to use for this? I heard those chemicals suck the oxygen out of the water, but I am not sure how it will affect my current system.

Any thoughts?

Unread 01/09/2014, 07:07 PM   #7
smtank
Registered Member

Until you can re-home the Tangs make sure they're offered nori or marine algae. Offer a variety of foods. I would try some Rod's Food preferably the Herbivore Blend or similar types of foods that mix vegetables with meaty sea foods. Try some selcon as well.

smtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2014, 07:19 PM   #8
reefer0714
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtank View Post
Until you can re-home the Tangs make sure they're offered nori or marine algae. Offer a variety of foods. I would try some Rod's Food preferably the Herbivore Blend or similar types of foods that mix vegetables with meaty sea foods. Try some selcon as well.
Thanks! I will try that in the meantime!

Tags
disease, help emergency, hole in head