Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2014, 11:21 AM   #826
Crispy001
Registered Member

This is pretty neat! I'm only about 15 minutes away and this sounds like something worth checking out. I've only got a 10 gallon tank though!

It sounds like the thing to do is to pick up their water and raise calc/alk/etc. with additives? And no one has experienced any problems with potential parasites, diseases, or chemicals introduced by using the water?

Crispy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 10:24 AM   #827
misterjimmy
Registered Member

The water is clean and filtered. Just need to raise the alk up a little bit since it reads at 7.0. Calc is around 440

misterjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2014, 06:39 PM   #828
Albert184445
Registered Member

Anyone notice difference in sps after switching to this nsw?

Albert184445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2015, 11:11 PM   #829
shrum1340
Registered Member

Went by Monday and the sign for saltwater above the faucet is gone. I know they are doing some construction in that building . Anyone know if the free water will be affected.

shrum1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2015, 08:59 AM   #830
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

I think the sign has been gone for a while. Didn't notice it when I was there a few weeks ago. The construction is inside and shouldn't bother the hose. Or at least I hope not. Been too long waiting for them to get it available again, like a year past the posted time.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2015, 11:42 PM   #831
Drews89
Registered Member

I was working out There today that's where I work out on the campus and didn't have time to check out for the hoses but what I can do is try to get ahold of one of the main head guys that's in charge of the campus and find out what's happening ....

Drews89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 07:03 PM   #832
Reefvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drews89 View Post
I was working out There today that's where I work out on the campus and didn't have time to check out for the hoses but what I can do is try to get ahold of one of the main head guys that's in charge of the campus and find out what's happening ....
Or you can spend like $7 and get your own hose. I carry my own.

They haven't provided one in a long time because they get stolen. That's probably what happened to the sign.

The water's just fine. Nothing's changed.

Reefvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 10:31 AM   #833
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

In the old days, there was a hose and a hanger by the spigot when it was on the other side of the road. I left a good hose there that stayed for a long time until the tore the building down.

Since there is no hanger for a hose, I guess they take whatever is left on the ground. So I always bring my own hose. I've let others use it when I'm there if they don't have a hose.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Unread 02/02/2015, 10:05 PM   #834
Drews89
Registered Member

Have u been there lately??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefvet View Post
Or you can spend like $7 and get your own hose. I carry my own.

They haven't provided one in a long time because they get stolen. That's probably what happened to the sign.

The water's just fine. Nothing's changed.

Unread 02/03/2015, 07:36 PM   #835
Reefvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Have u been there lately??
Last Saturday

Unread 02/05/2015, 08:48 PM   #836
Drews89
Registered Member

Is there a limit on how much water to get ??

Unread 02/05/2015, 09:00 PM   #837
carpas
Registered Member

You're only limited by the size of your container(s).

carpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2015, 11:58 PM   #838
Reefvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Is there a limit on how much water to get ??
The oceans occupy 2/3 of the Earths's surface.

Unread 02/06/2015, 08:34 AM   #839
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

I have talked to Scott, the keeper of the filtration system, some years ago about this. he said they had a 3" line years ago but someone was bringing in a large tanker truck and filling it up, then selling the water to others. On top of that, there were a few times the water was left on. This put their test experiments in jeopardy. So they shut down the big hose and went to a garden hose connection.

I can only assume that when they tore down the building and put in the new one along with moving the hose to it's current location, they left it as a garden hose for the same reasons.

As far as how much can you take, take what you need for your personal use. Don't abuse the system or we may all loose access to it. I have a 300g container that I fill up and have had no issues with them. But I have a 500 G system and use all of the water I get.

If your going to get a large amount like I do, be courteous to others. I've stopped my filling several times to let others get a quick 5 or 10 G of water.

Best quote ever!

Unread 02/06/2015, 12:05 PM   #840
Reefvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post

As far as how much can you take, take what you need for your personal use. Don't abuse the system or we may all loose access to it.
Yes, reasonable consumption will protect the resource.

Fortunately the luddites that used to resell it have moved south where they drop a hose into a harbor and can fill their truck faster. I personally wouldn't want that water.

Unread 02/21/2015, 08:03 PM   #841
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Went and got a bucket of water this morning, about 300 G. Got there about 9, there was some caution tape up at the front of the road on either side but not on the back part. So I just went ahead and drove back and started filling up. I saw a few cops go by while I was filling up.

Got done about 930 and as I was packing up, one of the cops pulled back in the area. She turned around and went and parked out by the road for a bit. I didn't think much of it. After a bit, she started walking back towards my truck. Still didn't think much. As I started getting in the truck, she asked me what I was doing. I explained about the water. She asked for ID and I obliged as I had nothing to hide. At first, she thought I was stealing water due to the drought. I again explained about the salt water, where it comes from, how it's filtered and that I had been coming there for over 10 years getting the water.

She said she had never heard about the water nor ever seen anyone back there getting any. I said I was surprised as there are a lot of people that know about it. I even showed her this thread. She asked who said it was OK and I told her I had talked to Scott, who is in charge of the REEF project. That it has been open to the public for years.

Next thing I know, she's asking me if I have a gun as their files say I have one registered to me. I said no, I sold that gun about 10 years ago. About that time, a second car shows up and another cop gets out, I guess being the bad guy, and just stands there staring at me like he's mister cool. I tried to strike up a conversation to ease things. Finally he mellowed out. They said they were waiting on the supervisor to show up as they knew nothing about the water. I said there was a sign there last time I was there but apparently some one took it down.

After about 20 min, the supervisor shows up, again trying to look like some bad *** with his vest and not saying anything. Guess I was a armed and dangerous criminal steeling salt water from the ocean. He walked around the truck, looking at it closely along with the unmarked spigot. Never said much.

After another 5 min, the first office said they got ahold of someone on the campus that verified that the water was open to the public and I was OK to take what I needed. She said that she would send an Email to all of the officers on the campus force so that we shouldn't have any issues in the future.

So I guess I took one for the team. All it took was about 30 min of my time for them to get things unscrewed. I had top explain it to them several times. Good thing I've been there a lot and know the history of the water, where it comes from and that it was on the other side of the street before they built the new building there.

So hopefully no one else will have any issues getting water. If you do, show them this thread and this post. Hopefully they won't think you a dangerous criminal like me.

Best quote ever!

Unread 02/21/2015, 08:07 PM   #842
Yeroc9
Registered Member

Wow, that sucks but I'm glad it all worked out. Had me nervous for a minute, I'm planning on making a trip out there next weekend

Current Tank Info: 125gal reef tank with a 30gal sump
Yeroc9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2015, 11:44 PM   #843
Reefvet
Registered Member

Yes, our campus security is very vigilant these days and for good reason. So no, that doesn't 'suck', it's a good thing.

A weapons check is standard. It had nothing to do with what they thought you might be doing.

After the light rain today it's always a good idea to wait a few days before you draw ocean from the tap. Agricultural runoff can affect local water quality.

Unread 02/22/2015, 11:57 PM   #844
nikecivic
Registered Member

Wow, sounds like a crazy morning! Atleast you were able to get water before the storm came in.

----------------------

Current Tank Info: 180 Glass Tank (6'x2'x2') with a Bubble King Mini 160 (on the second Red Dragon pump), Korallin 1502, Apex w/WXM, Ecotech Radion G1 w/TIR lenses, (2) Ecotech MP40w (one w/ES upgrade) w/Battery Backup, (2) Jebao WP25, Jebao DC12000, 55g acrylic sump
nikecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 11:01 AM   #845
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

I can understand being vigilant, but they went a bit overboard. Or were just bored on a Saturday morning.

I mean, accusing me of stealing fresh water because of the drought? And then stating they have never seen anyone get water from there? If they truly have not, then they haven't been very vigilant in keeping the place secure.

I understand that they were doing their job. But I've run into a lot of people when I go and get water. Plus in the 10+ years I've been getting water, this is the first time anyone has asked me what I was doing.

maybe it was being an old gray haired man driving a big pink truck that made me look suspicious.

Hopefully no one else will have any issues.

Best quote ever!

Unread 02/26/2015, 03:55 PM   #846
misterjimmy
Registered Member

I am about to go back up there this weekend to get water and it was a good thing I check this thread to see if anything new was going on with the construction.

Thank you Crusty for taking one for the team. I think I would have had a hard time explaining it clearly to an extent with the campus police.

misterjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 08:42 PM   #847
sandyland
Registered Member

Good thing you didn't have any warrants!
Just people doing their jobs.
You have to admit an old man in a pink truck filling up large tanks of water out of a faucet does look out of place.
Thanks for updating this thread I have a large system that I need to fill for the first time and this will save me some big $ in salt mix and RO water/ filters.

sandyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 09:05 PM   #848
eulalio flores
Registered Member

water

Is there certain time or hours you have to go. And is it 7 days a week

Unread 04/01/2015, 07:31 AM   #849
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

It's open 24/7. Just bring your own garden hose. have fun.

Best quote ever!

Unread 04/13/2015, 12:32 PM   #850
Fishtitious Per
Registered Member

Thanks, Crusty.

As a fellow reefer who picked up water there just a couple of weeks ago, I appreciate your taking the time to educate the local law enforcement about our hobby and making it easier for the rest of us to pick up NSW in the future.

As a retired law enforcement supervisor, I appreciate your sharing of how a police contact can best be handled when interviewed by suspicious officers.

As for their probable cause to investigate, I live in a town where it is the norm to put locks on our spigots. I have friends who have had to pay outrageous water penalty fees because men with water trucks stole from their home spigots while they were away from their residence.

Btw, I always bring a copy of this thread with the contact info you've gathered anytime I pick up water at UCSB. Thanks again for that. I'll update it in the event new officers join their agency and see me filling up my water tote.

Fishtitious Per is offline   Reply With Quote