Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2017, 07:55 PM   #1
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

Acclimitising BTA's

Been out the hobby for some time, just wondering if attitude to acclimitising anemones in general has changed?

I used to float for 20 minutes then drip at 1-2 drips a second for 2 hours then in the tank.

I ask as I have 4 bubble tips being delivered to me tomorrow, so they've been in the bag overnight, just want to be sure and give them the best chance. Been reading that drip acclimitising shipped anemones may be more stressful than just float to equal temp and straight in.

Also LED lighting, is it required to drop the power and increase weekly?

Another question regarding leds, are red and green light needed? As I can change them for any other colour. Read mixed feelings on red and green.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by Silfer; 11/09/2017 at 08:03 PM.
Silfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 03:03 PM   #2
Kinetic
Registered Member

I never believed that dripping was worse than just throwing it in. How could it be bad? It was already in a bag for 12+ hours. The extra 2 hours of acclimating it to the right PH can only help. Inverts in general, and especially anemones, are extremely sensitive to pH swings. I've never heard of a real scientist say otherwise. Whether or not a drip is 100% helpful, who knows, but I haven't heard an argument against it, other than laziness.

Many people do just fine without a drip, but in my experience, inverts with a drip acclimation seem to recover fast in a tank, whereas ones without, take over a week to start acting normal.

LED lights setup for SPS would be fine. I crank my whites up quite a bit more though and the anemones are good with that as well. If the anemones are not acclimated to a bright tank already (like if they're recently collected from the wild), I would slowly increase light from 20% over a week. If they've been in an established system for awhile, just acclimate for a day and they'll be fine (start at 20% power in the morning, and then let it get to your desired power by the end of the day).

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 05:25 PM   #3
humphreyhh
Registered Member

I drip acclimate all my animals. Never failed on me so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote