Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/02/2006, 07:20 PM   #1
syilk1
Registered Member

Are these for sure flatworms before I dose Tank

Yesterday I posted some sub-par pictures and told was the dreaded flatworms but took better pictures and want to make sure before I toss some chemical in tank.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

syilk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2006, 07:21 PM   #2
Paintbug
Registered Member

yep thats the bad ones!

<-Tony->

Current Tank Info: NONE currently
Paintbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2006, 07:46 PM   #3
Shagsbeard
Registered Member

When you kill these guys off, if you kill these guys off, make sure you remove as many as possible from the tank. The ammonia load will be intense if you let them all rot there. Be prepared with water for some major water changes, just in case. Have a very accurate ammonia test on hand, and test very often.

Shagsbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2006, 09:48 PM   #4
petoonia
HereWeGoAgain...

I have the same thing. You should siphon as many out as possible before treating the tank. I've been siphoning them out using airline tubing, then I just dump the water back in (just be careful not to dump the worms back in) The worms usually stick to the bottom of the bucket. I do a little bit everyday, so far I havent had to use any chemicals.

Current Tank Info: 58G. Oceanic (Starphire). Mixed Reef
petoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2006, 11:03 PM   #5
Carman34L
Moved On

one of the things is you cant just siphon them out. They will be there forever. The eggs need to be killed and any surviving flatworms need to killed. the only way to do so is to treat the tank. it is a situation that is dreadfull to be in but just siphoning them out will not fix the problem. On a side note, I have always had a few of those flatworms in my tank. But never in the quanities you have shown in your pictures. there are a few wrasses out there that eat them. they are a natural predator for "some" flatworms.

Carman34L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2006, 11:04 PM   #6
Carman34L
Moved On

oh and be thankfull they are not AEFW, or Acro Eating Flatworms. they are next to impossible to get rid of. When you get them, you might as well just start over.

Carman34L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2006, 11:52 PM   #7
petoonia
HereWeGoAgain...

I suggested siphoning them out to reduce the amount of toxins released when they die from the treatment of the tank. The more live ones you get, the less dead ones there are to poison the tank.

Flatworms do also have some natural predators as well.

Current Tank Info: 58G. Oceanic (Starphire). Mixed Reef
petoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2006, 02:18 AM   #8
Lyscer
Registered Member

When you siphon them out one thing you can do it use airline tubing as suggested but attach a sock to the other end and throw that end in your sump(if you have one) then you can siphon the little guys out all day and not have to dump any water, then just throw the sock away when you are done, and treat with FWE. The picture you showed is mild compared to the FW's in my tank so I'm fighting the same battle. I'm just waiting until I redo my plumbing to use FWE so that I can run carbon and do a water change seems like if you do that then in most cases it doesn't hurt your tank.

DIY Arduino Uno Controller with temp probes and 8 outlets ran from web interface
ReefOctopus Skimmer and Eheim 1262 return

Current Tank Info: 68 Cadlights Versa
Lyscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2006, 10:21 AM   #9
syilk1
Registered Member

Thanks Guys

syilk1 is offline   Reply With Quote