Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2014, 07:45 PM   #1
jstephens24
Registered Member

My 75 gal w/ no sump FOWLR

Decided to make my own thread about my DT for a way to keep track of things and also to hear advice and input. As of now I have: 200W heater, Eheim 2215 external filter, HOB SeaClone 100 protein Skimmer and AquaSun dual T5 HO lights. I have an Ocean Sun 10,000K and a Coral Sun Actinic 420. Have a 1600 GPH powerhead on the way with a 500 GPH in there now. Have a BRS 4 stage RODI system coming in. The tank came with a glass lid but since I'm not having a sump and things are on the side the glass wouldn't sit right. I bought some egg crate for the top. I have 60 lbs of dry pukani rocks coming in and I have rocks for the bottom of the tank.

Thinking about later on changing my filter into a reactor. Still need to research on exactly how to do it with my filter. I'm pretty sure I just need to get carbon to do it. But that will be later on.

And for fish choice I am still pretty open. I would like to get a clown fish which looks like everyone has a pair. Other than that I am pretty open. I'm also open on what I will use as my CUC. I am looking at the stickies to see what is compatible.

Last edited by jstephens24; 12/31/2014 at 08:06 PM.
jstephens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 06:21 AM   #2
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

Here is a chart

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/c...lity_chart.cfm

Mark Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 07:27 AM   #3
Denbf58
Registered Member

To Reef Central sounds like you are on your way take your time and let it cycle

Current Tank Info: 75gal reef ready koralia 3, 30g sump, 4b 48" t5s lighting, 29g reef with breeding pair clowns 55g reef 55g freshwater
Denbf58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2015, 12:09 PM   #4
jstephens24
Registered Member

This a newbie question but how long do yall normally leave the lights on? Im about to buy a timer for the lights and was wondering what I should do. Both lights would be coming on at the same time and I dont plan on using the lights full time til after my tank cycles.

Unread 01/03/2015, 08:37 PM   #5
jstephens24
Registered Member

Well I got my rocks in yesterday and started aquascaping them. I ordered wayyy to much. I wanted an opening kinda feeling after I ordered so I only used about half or less. I got home today and my water tank water is yellow and the tank has a pretty bad smell. Did a quick search and it looks like this sometimes happen. I rinsed the rocks off a little last night before I put them in but didn't scrub them. I read that this will actually help my cycling process since the smell is dying organisms that produce ammonia. Do yall think I should still add a shrimp or wait til maybe tomorrow to read how high my ammonia levels are?

Unread 01/03/2015, 09:07 PM   #6
Teenreefer15
Registered Member

nice

Teenreefer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 12:58 AM   #7
Atf22
Registered Member

I'd wait on the shrimp, just test the levels when you can, sounds like the cycle is starting!! Although, the yellow water and strong odor is odd... Keep us updated on the smell/water

Atf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 10:51 AM   #8
jstephens24
Registered Member

Will do. Heard it could take 3 or 4 days if you add shrimp in the water to see ammonia so I will wait til monday night to check levels.

Unread 01/05/2015, 09:17 AM   #9
jstephens24
Registered Member

Here is the tank

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (61.9 KB, 130 views)
Unread 01/05/2015, 09:18 AM   #10
jstephens24
Registered Member

Here is with the rocks. Still smells and water is cloudy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (64.0 KB, 149 views)
Unread 01/05/2015, 11:13 AM   #11
mariahcolleen
Registered Member

Don't add anything alive until your cycle is complete (4-12 weeks). If your tank smells, there is plenty of ammonia in it to start it cycling. Just sit back and maybe ghost feed. If you add a shrimp now it will die. Great pics. I look forward to seeing your progress.

mariahcolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2015, 11:33 AM   #12
Atf22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahcolleen View Post
Don't add anything alive until your cycle is complete (4-12 weeks). If your tank smells, there is plenty of ammonia in it to start it cycling. Just sit back and maybe ghost feed. If you add a shrimp now it will die. Great pics. I look forward to seeing your progress.
I could be wrong, but i think OP meant adding raw shrimp to kick start the cycle

Atf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2015, 11:47 AM   #13
jstephens24
Registered Member

yes i meant a raw one. Looking forward to seeing how much ammonia tonight from API test

Unread 01/07/2015, 09:55 AM   #14
jstephens24
Registered Member

I went ahead and added shrimp to jump start my cycle. Had no ammonia reading from my API test with just the rocks. Water is still a yellowish brown. Anyone know if this will go away as cycle progresses or will it only disappear after my cycle ends and i do water changes?

Unread 01/09/2015, 01:41 PM   #15
jstephens24
Registered Member

Well I took another ammonia test today and it still showed 0 after I added 2 raw shrimp couple days ago. I figured something was up so I youtubed how to do the api test. I realized I was doing the test wrong. I thought the second bottle was extra so I was never using it. Did the test the right way and I now show 2 ppm of ammonia.

Unread 01/09/2015, 05:13 PM   #16
Frozenguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens24 View Post
Well I took another ammonia test today and it still showed 0 after I added 2 raw shrimp couple days ago. I figured something was up so I youtubed how to do the api test. I realized I was doing the test wrong. I thought the second bottle was extra so I was never using it. Did the test the right way and I now show 2 ppm of ammonia.
I lol'd
Glad you figured it out. You can take that shrimp out now

Frozenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2015, 06:15 PM   #17
AmberLee
Eager to learn Newbie

Quote:
Haha yours didn't come with the instructions?

AmberLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2015, 02:21 PM   #18
jstephens24
Registered Member

So my protein skimmer had a leak in it from manufacturing error and I mailed it back for a refund today. Once I get my money back (2-6 weeks) I will be buying another one. Thinking the reef octopus 1000 that hangs on the back. Looking at reviews and that one seems near the top.
Also I bought two 32 gal brute trash cans. one to store my rodi water and the other to mix in. I added a ball valve yesterday to it and no leaks. In the process right now of filling it up which will take a while.
Also set up my QT last night with the premixed salt water and started heating it. Looking to buy a couple of clownfish tonight to start that process.

Unread 02/13/2015, 06:52 AM   #19
jstephens24
Registered Member

Well its been awhile since I last updated. A week ago my ammonia levels were 4.0+ and last night I checked and it was .25! Finally starting to see progress. Nitrite was 5.0 and Nitrates was at 40.
I am going to start ghost feeding a few flakes a day to feed the bacteria. I still got a few weeks to go but I can see the finish line.
My clown fish are doing great in my QT so far. No signs of ich and all eating great

Unread 02/17/2015, 09:25 AM   #20
jstephens24
Registered Member

My ammonia was 0 and nitrites were 0. Did a 20 gal WC and checked readings the next day (last night). All reading were good so I added my first clownfish in. Will be adding the other 2 tonight.
Also got my lights mounted and on a timer for 9:00a-845p. I dont get home til 6 so I wanted to be able to enjoy the tank some. Reef octopus skimmer should be in today or today. Once I get that, I will cut and size my eggcrate and be pretty much done.

Unread 02/17/2015, 10:03 AM   #21
aiq25
Registered Member

Quote:
Also made the same mistake when I got the kit. I'm not much of a reader and didn't realize you have to mix the solution from both the bottles, just assumed one bottle was extra.

aiq25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 09:38 AM   #22
jstephens24
Registered Member

Glad Im not the only one AIG25 haha.

Ordered my CUC last night from reefcleaners. I got 4 blue-legged hermits, 12 dwarf cerith, 4 nerite snails and 4 trochus snails. Not sure too little or too much for start up.

Also last night I cut the eggcrate to size and halved it so it will be easier to take on and off. All 3 clownfish are doing great. They have a ton of swimming room since they are the only fish in tank.

Unread 03/06/2015, 04:04 PM   #23
jstephens24
Registered Member

Little update:
I ended up canceling some of my CUC order b/c hermits needed faster shipping so I just bought the ceriths and nerite snails. Along with the clownfish I had, I added a Hardwicke wrasse, six line and a fairy wrasse.
When I added the snails to the DT all was great for the first 5 min. Then as the cerith snails started climbing up the glass, the Hardwicke picked them off and ate them. So in the matter of a day or 2 all my cerith snails were gone. It never messed with the bigger snails.
I decided I wanted to get some hermit crabs so I went to the local Petco and got 3. Once again everything seemed great for the first couple days. Then on the 3rd day my wife texted me and said 2 of the clowns died. We noticed the fairy wrasse started showing some spots the night before but everyone was normal. After 2 more days all my other fish died. After reading through the disease thread, it looks like velvet came from the hermit crabs. I tested water parameters and they were all 0.
Trying to look on the bright side so I get a chance to start over. I wanted some cleaner shrimp but with the Hardwicke in there it would have been impossible. I am going to pick up a couple shrimps tomorrow and start the fallow process. Good learning experience for sure

Unread 03/06/2015, 04:09 PM   #24
jstephens24
Registered Member

Also I added a gyre 130 in tank. so far so good on it. Going to pick up some more nerite snails since cerith can damage the gyre. Also going to buy a couple bags of copepods to add in tank. Figured 6 plus weeks with no fish it will give plenty of time for them to multiply. Also within the last couple days looks like im getting some diatoms on my rocks and gravel.

Unread 03/17/2015, 03:19 PM   #25
jstephens24
Registered Member

So I got my order from reefcleaners in. Ordered 2 bags of pods, 6 empty hermit shells and 10 more snails. Within the first 15 min of adding the empty shells, one of the hermits decided to make the move. It was pretty cool.
Also went to LFS and added 2 peppermint shrimp in the tank. They are fun to watch. I also bought 2 Osc. clowns for my QT. Their orange color is a lot darker then the Petco clowns I had before.