Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2015, 02:24 PM   #101
ChefZilla
Registered Member

Just having fun... approximately 45 lbs of boneless shoulders. Bought them at costco at the case price of $1.09 lb... I was like ohh I'll take two Cases. Lol. Also did 80 lbs boneless chicken legs and thighs yesterday with alder.. Here's the pork.. been on for around 3 hours @ 280 (low and slow is for people who have time, I still have 85 lbs of butts to between today and tomorrow) smoked over applewood.. I like the ease of a propane smoker but still prefer my stick burner.

48"x 25"x 24" Sidebraced, Mixed reef SPS dominant on the way
48"x18"

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon mixed reef, 55 gallon sump/refugium w/ macros
ChefZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 02:27 PM   #102
ChefZilla
Registered Member

And I'm going to design my own cabinet smoker that's a stick burner for the flavor and propane to maintain the heat after I wrap. And large too.. roughly 36" tall" 40" wide and 24" deep with a water pan. As well as being insulated. Yada Yada Yada

48"x18"

Unread 07/23/2015, 03:35 PM   #103
pga7602
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotu View Post
USDA Prime TriTip

Whole USDA Prime rib roast...

slowly roasting on my modified offset smoker with rotisserie

Suckling pig

another pig with chicken...

and the leftovers

USDA Prime tenderloin wrapped in bacon

Pork belly and garlic

fresh off the BGE
I'll take one of each.. thanks!

pga7602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 08:41 PM   #104
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

So are these "smokers" dedicated to smoking only? I have a built-in 4 burner NG grill. Is there a way to add smoking or smoke with it? I don't know all the terminologies but would love to try smoking without buying a stand alone smoker. Was visiting South Carolina last month and had some absolutely mouthwatering smoked BBQ there.

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
pookstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 10:07 PM   #105
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^^^^ http://www.amazon.com/Amazen-Pellet-...s=smoking+tube something like, this comes in different sizes.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 10:09 PM   #106
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I am leaning towards a Green Egg or similar type cooker but my wife is not thrilled with the price, she wants me to get a pellet grill.

Unread 07/23/2015, 10:37 PM   #107
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
^^^^^^ http://www.amazon.com/Amazen-Pellet-...s=smoking+tube something like, this comes in different sizes.
Thanks for the info! Any recommended pellets?

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Unread 07/23/2015, 11:07 PM   #108
ChefZilla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookstreet View Post
So are these "smokers" dedicated to smoking only? I have a built-in 4 burner NG grill. Is there a way to add smoking or smoke with it? I don't know all the terminologies but would love to try smoking without buying a stand alone smoker. Was visiting South Carolina last month and had some absolutely mouthwatering smoked BBQ there.
You can use your gas grill. Get a old shallow metal pan (no plastic) like a pie tin. Go get pecan chips or pellets and fill it up. Cover with a few layers of foil and poke a few hole on it. You don't want them catching fire so your just basically smoldering the chips. I hope your grill has 3 burners from right to left that way you only run 1 burner set around 220 degrees (for a long cooking process) or 265-285 for a shorter cooking time. Add the chips right on top of your burner (not the grill) and they will start smoking within a few minutes. Keep in mind you will have to replace the chips a few times within the cooking process. I typically smoke my meats for 3-4 hours than wrap (especially pork) than allow to finish while wrapped. Take it up to 205 internal temp and let rest. Viola. Pulled pork

48"x18"

Unread 07/23/2015, 11:23 PM   #109
ChefZilla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookstreet View Post
You can use your gas grill. Get a old shallow metal pan (no plastic) like a pie tin. Go get pecan chips or pellets and fill it up. Cover with a few layers of foil and poke a few hole on it. You don't want them catching fire so your just basically smoldering the chips. I hope your grill has 3 burners from right to left that way you only run 1 burner set around 220 degrees (for a long cooking process) or 265-285 for a shorter cooking time. Add the chips right on top of your burner (not the grill) and they will start smoking within a few minutes. Keep in mind you will have to replace the chips a few times within the cooking process. I typically smoke my meats for 3-4 hours than wrap (especially pork) than allow to finish while wrapped. Take it up to 205 internal temp and let rest. Viola. Pulled pork

48"x18"

Unread 07/23/2015, 11:23 PM   #110
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefZilla View Post
So it sounds like I shouldn't put the chips right over the burner that's on, right? And what do you wrap with? Sorry, a total noob here when it comes to smoking. So far, I just straight grill everything.

Unread 07/23/2015, 11:27 PM   #111
ChefZilla
Registered Member

Add the chips to a metal pan and cover with foil. From there add them straight to your burner. Have only 1 outta 3 burners working. Add the butt that has your fave rub and put it on the other side as a "indirect heat"

48"x18"

Unread 07/23/2015, 11:28 PM   #112
ChefZilla
Registered Member

When I wrap I use foil.

48"x18"

Unread 07/24/2015, 10:46 AM   #113
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Great info. Looks like I am gonna have to get my feet wet sooner than later

Unread 07/24/2015, 02:37 PM   #114
lowbudget
Registered Member

trager smoker. i will be make a few slabs this weekend. will report back saturday evening

lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2015, 09:23 AM   #115
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

I may have to do a Costco run today for some meat!

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2015, 09:44 AM   #116
moondoggy4
Registered Member

pookstreet look for a bbq store near new The ones that I go to are always cooking something on a pellet/green egg/metal trash can. Ask them for a handful of each type of pellet to see which ones you like, the pellets are not expensive but do a taste first.

Unread 07/26/2015, 12:32 PM   #117
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Thanks for the tip. That's a great idea to try out different pellets.

Unread 07/26/2015, 02:39 PM   #118
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

Kenny stop by around 6.30 to 7 tonight I will provide a bib for you-).

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2015, 06:27 PM   #119
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Haha, don't tempt me like that.

Unread 07/27/2015, 10:58 AM   #120
lowbudget
Registered Member

sorry guys i forgot to take pictures. i guess i have to do it again his weekend

lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2015, 04:59 PM   #121
Jandawil
Registered Member

I used to have a side by side stick burner for years. Turned out some pretty good BBQ, but I found it tedious to maintain constant temperature and really hated the temperature difference from left to right as you got closer to the firebox. For a long smoke on a pork butt (12-14 hours) it was a real pain. I switched to a Smoke Vault propane smoker 3 years ago and have been turning out some of the best BBQ I have ever done. I have used this thing 5X more in the past 2-3 years than I ever did with my stick burner. Easy to use, easy to keep steady temp, and the water pan does wonders regulating the temperature on all 3 grates as well as add moisture. I'll never go back and for about $200 you can't go wrong.

And for a pretty small footprint, this thing did 4 very large butts like a champ...fed 60 people.

Bark would be better only I choose to wrap mine in foil for the second half. I'll take the added moisture over a better bark.

Jandawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2015, 05:47 PM   #122
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandawil View Post
I used to have a side by side stick burner for years. Turned out some pretty good BBQ, but I found it tedious to maintain constant temperature and really hated the temperature difference from left to right as you got closer to the firebox. For a long smoke on a pork butt (12-14 hours) it was a real pain. I switched to a Smoke Vault propane smoker 3 years ago and have been turning out some of the best BBQ I have ever done. I have used this thing 5X more in the past 2-3 years than I ever did with my stick burner. Easy to use, easy to keep steady temp, and the water pan does wonders regulating the temperature on all 3 grates as well as add moisture. I'll never go back and for about $200 you can't go wrong.

And for a pretty small footprint, this thing did 4 very large butts like a champ...fed 60 people.

Bark would be better only I choose to wrap mine in foil for the second half. I'll take the added moisture over a better bark.

Well done!

Obladi Oblada, life goes on Brah!

Current Tank Info: Tankless in TX and watching from the sidelines
dodgerblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2015, 11:26 PM   #123
Tiburon57
Registered Member

You guys are killing me!! When is the next Frag Swap/cookout?? LoL

Tiburon57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2015, 11:33 AM   #124
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandawil View Post
For better bark, spritz with apple juice during the cook or use a rub with a higher sugar content. You shouldn't need to wrap until you get the color you desire.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2015, 11:02 AM   #125
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefZilla View Post
Just having fun... approximately 45 lbs of boneless shoulders. Bought them at costco at the case price of $1.09 lb... I was like ohh I'll take two Cases.
How many lbs in a case?

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote