Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2005, 09:41 PM   #101
bowfront26
Registered Member

damn and i really need to do a water change too... keep us posted dOc

bowfront26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2005, 09:42 PM   #102
d0cdave
Premium Non-Reefer

48 Hour Report... Tank Crashed!!

Just Kidding! Everything is fine. I even discovered a new green hairy mushroom that didnt open up to be seen until after the water change (he's about 1/3" across right now).

NSW is the best.. and Ill never go back to mixing or premixed again!!

Current Tank Info: Left reef hobby - enjoying my $10/mo power bills (solar!)
d0cdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2005, 09:50 PM   #103
jarhed
Premium Member

Man, I seriously have to move closer to the ocean!!

jarhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2005, 09:58 PM   #104
d0cdave
Premium Non-Reefer

If I had a truck I would seriously setup a holding tank at my house in Fillmore for folks in the SCV/SFV to buy NSW from me.

Someday maybe... I work 2 minutes from the NSW source at UCSB.

Unread 11/06/2005, 11:41 PM   #105
Kinetic
Registered Member

You could have it delievered. Catalina Natural Salt Water company does deliveries to all those LFS's all the time. You could setup a HUGE holding tank, and have it delievered monthly or so to your place. It's kind of like getting that Alhambra water delivered by the tank.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2005, 08:12 AM   #106
Tenderoni Drop
Registered Member

Hey koden how much do u have to buy and what is the price?

Unread 11/08/2005, 10:21 AM   #107
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Yea but Catalina water comes from the long beach harbor. have you seen the harbor lately? I think I'd stick to driving to UCSB.

I've also hear horror stories from people who have used Catalina water and that it's not consistant.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2005, 12:12 PM   #108
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenderoni Drop
Hey koden how much do u have to buy and what is the price?
I don't know how much and what the price is, sorry =( Do a search on google for catalina natural salt water, I think they have a website.

Unread 11/08/2005, 02:47 PM   #109
d0cdave
Premium Non-Reefer

They do have a website http://www.catalinawater.com/index.html ... no prices tho. Might just be business to business. They say you can buy the stuff through PetCo (ugh!).

Unread 11/08/2005, 03:30 PM   #110
Kinetic
Registered Member

petco sells them for $2/gallon. I get mine for $1/gallon at a LFS.

Unread 11/08/2005, 04:36 PM   #111
d0cdave
Premium Non-Reefer

I used to live in Long Beach. If you ever wanna get grossed-out, walk the beach around shoreline drive (aka the Long Beach Grand Prix). I saw all sorts of nasty waste along that shore. Figuring the LA river dumps into that harbor, along with the waste from shipping lines and refineries, packed with stuff that filters might not take out.

I met the guy on Catalina Island that takes care of the Bald Eagle population there. They still have to collect the eggs and hatch them in captivity because the eggshells are too brittle due to the DDT polution. That stuff is still in the channel and in the fish that the eagles eat.

Anybody have specific horror stories about using Catalina water?

Unread 11/13/2005, 01:57 PM   #112
JetHead
Registered Member

I'm gonna do water change tonight with the UCSB water. My buddy did his last week and everything is fine in his tank. I figure we would've heard horror stories by now, no?

JetHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2005, 01:58 PM   #113
JetHead
Registered Member

PS... I'm looking for some brightly colored zoa's if any locals have any for sale. I don't have any trades yet.

Thanks.

JetHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2005, 04:23 PM   #114
d0cdave
Premium Non-Reefer

Still nothing wrong with my tank after a few days. Should be fine.

They probably have research projects at UCSB with more $$ involved than most of our tanks here on RC. Im sure they want no problems from their water either.

Unread 11/13/2005, 05:50 PM   #115
cayecaulker
Registered Member

Changed 110 gallons today... not one hick-up.

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

Current Tank Info: 48X30X20 Lee-Mar all starphire display, custom Advanced Acrylics sump, Vertex Alpha 200, 10-bulb Geiseman Matrix T5 with LED. APEX Controlled. Mixed Reef Madness
cayecaulker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2005, 10:45 PM   #116
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Did a 100 g and a20 g change on Friday on my two tanks. Everything seems OK. I think their intake line is far enough out that it dosen't pick up any of the near shore bad stuff.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Unread 11/13/2005, 10:51 PM   #117
jarhed
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy
Did a 100 g and a20 g change on Friday on my two tanks. Everything seems OK. I think their intake line is far enough out that it dosen't pick up any of the near shore bad stuff.

I'm just curious, how do you bring 100gals of water home? Thats a LOT of 5gal jugs!!!

Unread 11/13/2005, 11:53 PM   #118
Kinetic
Registered Member

lol i'm also curious =)

Unread 11/14/2005, 09:25 AM   #119
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Quote:
Originally posted by jarhed

I'm just curious, how do you bring 100gals of water home? Thats a LOT of 5gal jugs!!!
Your thinking small. Think big time.

When I go, I collect a little over 300G at a time. I have 4 X 55G rubermaid trashcans and 2 X 65G rubermaid trashcans. That's all my truck will hold. I go about once a month or so.

I just back the truck right up to the spigot and fill them up in the truck. When I get home, I back the truck up to the garage, which is where my 400G is right now, and do a 100G water change. Drain out 100G into the street, then pump it from the trashcans right into the tank.

That gives me a couple of empty cans, which I set out on the drive way and then pump from the ones in the truck to the ones on the ground. I usually put the 65's in the back and they are the first to get emptied, then there's more than enough room to empty the 55's into the 65's. I just keep going round robin until all of the cans are out of the truck and then I roll/drag (some of them have wheels) them to the RV parking beside my garage.

When I get my room finished and the 400 is moved to it, I'll get more trashcans on wheels and just roll them to the pad outside of the window next to the tank and do my waterchanges.

Best quote ever!

Unread 11/14/2005, 10:43 AM   #120
jarhed
Premium Member

Aaaahh, that did occur to me. Just couldnt picture a pickup handling that much water I guess.

Pretty cool setup! I've thought about getting a huge water storage tank and putting it somewhere in the garage. Problem is that I'll have to make my own water because I'm too far out (Inland Empire), and the garage gets too hot during the summer.

Unread 11/14/2005, 10:47 AM   #121
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

The truck is a 1/2 ton chevy but it has a 6" lift kit, 3" of that lift was done with new springs so it handles the load. Tires are 35" but get a little bit flat when it's full because I don't air them up. But it still pulls along at 75 with no problems.

Best quote ever!

Unread 11/14/2005, 11:26 AM   #122
jarhed
Premium Member

Quote:
The truck is a 1/2 ton chevy but it has a 6" lift kit, 3" of that lift was done with new springs so it handles the load. Tires are 35" but get a little bit flat when it's full because I don't air them up. But it still pulls along at 75 with no problems.
Good deal! You are definitely equipped!

Unread 11/14/2005, 11:31 AM   #123
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

It's actually the wifes truck. She let's me "Borrow" it on Saturday mornings to get water and then I have to take it to get it detailed. That's about the only time I get to drive it.

But since I bought a 3rd truck, I'll probably have to start using it with the trailer. I'm sure that's what she'll tell me. My other truck, the blown '63, is getting tore down for some work. And I can't haul water on my Harley, .

Best quote ever!

Unread 11/14/2005, 11:32 AM   #124
liusteven
Premium Member

Quote:

Thats a BIG truck! How many miles per gallon

liusteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2005, 11:45 AM   #125
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

about 14 on the highway at 75.

Best quote ever!