User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2014, 09:52 AM   #51
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
0.03ppm?
oh, what does that limit ?

calcification ? if so, the limit for calcification is much much higher.

0.03 is the po4 in wild reefs I think.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 09:52 AM   #52
dirtycontour
Registered Member

Over .3 ?!?!
How can this be?!?!

dirtycontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 09:57 AM   #53
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanacker View Post
Is this your tank?
Yep

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 10:16 AM   #54
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Looks great, Rich! I'm anxious as well to know what the level is.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 10:31 AM   #55
Drae
RAIDER NATION!

Whatever the po4 is, it isn't keeping the color or growth down at all it seems. That tank is thriving.

Drae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 11:00 AM   #56
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
I'm having fun with this, and I would like to have fun at RC again, so please allow me this.
You should be skeptical - I am so happy you are!
The next Skeptical Reefkeeping article is about Testing Kits, Chasing Numbers, and Phosphate, will answer most questions and should be published this soon.
I got a couple pm's about Skeptical Reefkeeping so I thought I would share the answer - the ongoing series is available on www.Reefsmagazine.com and on my site http://packedhead.net/category/skeptical-reefkeeping/

Please let me know if these links are not ok to post on RC. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Unread 01/10/2014, 11:46 AM   #57
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtycontour View Post
Over .3 ?!?!
How can this be?!?!
What do people think is supposed to happen at levels over .3?

Unread 01/10/2014, 11:48 AM   #58
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Conventional thinking is that a PO4 level above 0.03ppm causes browning of SPS corals... So 0.3ppm is 10 times higher and therefore we would assume SPS to be very brown in appearance and nuisance algae growing all over the tank...

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 11:49 AM   #59
dirtycontour
Registered Member

Quote:
Growth of nuisance algae, inhibition of calcification?

dirtycontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 11:51 AM   #60
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Since you wont disclose the actual PO4 level now, would it be possible to at least post a few TOP DOWN shots of the SPS corals to see just how colourful your SPS corals are?

Later on when you disclose the actual figure the discussion can be quite good.

Unread 01/10/2014, 11:53 AM   #61
Whisperer
Registered Member

Quote:
People think it promotes growth of nuisance algae. Honestly, I no longer subscribe to that. I no longer check my phosphate level. I have been using well water for months now, other than initial diatom bloom (gone now), I don't see any ill effects on algae bloom nor untoward coral response. I know this is going to cause an uproar. BTW, I still have chaetomorpha in my sump.

Current Tank Info: 120G reef, 30G sump, 10G QT tank
Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 12:14 PM   #62
Dukester
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
People think it promotes growth of nuisance algae. Honestly, I no longer subscribe to that. I no longer check my phosphate level. I have been using well water for months now, other than initial diatom bloom (gone now), I don't see any ill effects on algae bloom nor untoward coral response. I know this is going to cause an uproar. BTW, I still have chaetomorpha in my sump.
thats all fine and well to say.. but since you dont check your P04 levels they could just as easily be .003 as they are .1 , Without a known value your specific statements on how you dont see any ill effects really means nothing.

Dukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 12:20 PM   #63
Whisperer
Registered Member

Dukester, does well water mean anything? DO you know the composition of well water in Florida? Phosphates for fertilizer used to be mined here.

Current Tank Info: 120G reef, 30G sump, 10G QT tank
Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 12:26 PM   #64
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
thats all fine and well to say.. but since you dont check your P04 levels they could just as easily be .003 as they are .1 , Without a known value your specific statements on how you dont see any ill effects really means nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
Dukester, does well water mean anything? DO you know the composition of well water in Florida? Phosphates for fertilizer used to be mined here.
I think Dukester has a point there. You do utilise chaetomorpha so perhaps this is picking up a good amount of the PO4...It would actually be interesting to know what your PO4 is, and just how colourful your SPS are.

Unread 01/10/2014, 12:46 PM   #65
criticalencore
Registered Member

My po4 is around .63 with no nuisance algae although I do run an ATS and have calupera in a refugium. I have even maxed my Hanna at a flashing 2.5 po4 and still had no algae in the display. .

criticalencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 12:47 PM   #66
dvanacker
DID I SOUNDS SMRT??

Quote:
You have a flare for the dramatic... you obviously know what people expect and even experience with high phosphate levels.

Is this thread ever going to materialize into a real discussion?

Current Tank Info: 200g SPS dominant Mixed Reef
dvanacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 12:50 PM   #67
Dukester
Registered Member

Quote:
I feel like this whole thread is a trick question.. Obviously everyone is aware of the article Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium and the numerous studies referenced in it... so when we know that an extended elevation of P04 to a mere .15PPM inhibited growth around 50% compared to the normal reef levels in one study and similar results were found in numerous other studies.. My question to the OP is .. do you not think that growth in your reef tank would increase if you lowered your p04 levels back down closer to what would normally be seen in the natural environment?

Unread 01/10/2014, 12:58 PM   #68
Allmost
Moved On

I think the point he is trying to make is who cares what po4 tests at, we dont want to make the test kits happy, we want to make corals and our eyes happy

but Duk. has a good point, wouldnt it be even better with lower po4 ? is your reef as good as it possibly can be ?

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 01:01 PM   #69
Fail_sh3d
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
I feel like this whole thread is a trick question.. Obviously everyone is aware of the article Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium and the numerous studies referenced in it... so when we know that an extended elevation of P04 to a mere .15PPM inhibited growth around 50% compared to the normal reef levels in one study and similar results were found in numerous other studies.. My question to the OP is .. do you not think that growth in your reef tank would increase if you lowered your p04 levels back down closer to what would normally be seen in the natural environment?

I agree.

Where are the growth pics? This thread indicates great colors with a (possibly) higher than generally accepted P04 levels, but doesn't show progression of growth in these corals.

I'd like to see how long it took and how much growth over time with pics.

Current Tank Info: Custom drilled 20L with sump/refugium, BM 3 Plus skimmer, 2 MP10, mixed reef.
Fail_sh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 01:01 PM   #70
Koralcrazy
Moved On

I have an issue....his join date is earlier than anyone else who is posting in this thread....I feel like I am forced to believe him

Anyone else have this issue....lol, if I get advice from someone who has only been a member since 2011, I kind of take it with a grain of salt, but if someone from 2001 is saying something, then I better believe it!

Just a weird issue I have...I know join date is not proxy for years of experience, but can't help but always look....

I'm with Sahin, lets see some top down pics, perhaps a video?

Koralcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 01:04 PM   #71
Koralcrazy
Moved On

Also - could you share the growth rate of your chaeto and the amount you have? Heck, how about a sump shot?

Koralcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 01:17 PM   #72
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fail_sh3d View Post
I agree.

Where are the growth pics? This thread indicates great colors with a (possibly) higher than generally accepted P04 levels, but doesn't show progression of growth in these corals.

I'd like to see how long it took and how much growth over time with pics.
Look here...
http://packedhead.net/2011/home-tank-over-time/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koralcrazy View Post
I have an issue....his join date is earlier than anyone else who is posting in this thread....I feel like I am forced to believe him

Anyone else have this issue....lol, if I get advice from someone who has only been a member since 2011, I kind of take it with a grain of salt, but if someone from 2001 is saying something, then I better believe it!

Just a weird issue I have...I know join date is not proxy for years of experience, but can't help but always look....

I'm with Sahin, lets see some top down pics, perhaps a video?
I believe he has been in this hobby for about 25+ years and was one the many I paid attention to when I began this hobby. Unfortunately most that are still in the hobby got tired of people who didn't understand telling them their tank would suffer because of their methods and they don't bother trying to educate people any longer. This is a sad thing because the most experienced people who have the most to offer are put off by the attitudes of those who need their experience the most.

I am surprised to see people scratching their heads here, this isn't new and there are plenty of examples of higher nutrient tanks thriving.

Big E's tank...po4 was tested at about .34-.37 and there is no question about the health, growth and color of his Acro's.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2197142

I don't want to detract from this thread but remember corals are highly adaptive creatures, in spite of what the books have led you to believe. The simple proof of that is the variability in everyone's tank and methods and the successes with each method. There is no cut and dried formula for success. I have seen more pale and sickly corals in the past few years then I ever did when I began keeping SPS.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 01:23 PM   #73
Fail_sh3d
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
Look here...
http://packedhead.net/2011/home-tank-over-time/

I believe he has been in this hobby for about 25+ years and was one the many I paid attention to when I began this hobby. Unfortunately most that are still in the hobby got tired of people who didn't understand telling them their tank would suffer because of their methods and they don't bother trying to educate people any longer. This is a sad thing because the most experienced people who have the most to offer are put off by the attitudes of those who need their experience the most.

I am surprised to see people scratching their heads here, this isn't new and there are plenty of examples of higher nutrient tanks thriving.

Big E's tank...po4 was tested at about .34-.37 and there is no question about the health, growth and color of his Acro's.

I don't want to detract from this thread but remember corals are highly adaptive creatures, in spite of what the books have led you to believe. The simple proof of that is the variability in everyone's tank and methods and the successes with each method. There is no cut and dried formula for success. I have seen more pale and sickly corals in the past few years then I ever did when I began keeping SPS.
Thanks, sirreal. No need for ellipsis. The link I originally clicked was just to the home page. My apologies.

I appreciate it and I'm not doubting his reef keeping or knowledge.

Do those bi-annual FTS indicated P04 over the years? Or are there p04 measurements that coincide with said FTS?

Current Tank Info: Custom drilled 20L with sump/refugium, BM 3 Plus skimmer, 2 MP10, mixed reef.

Last edited by Fail_sh3d; 01/10/2014 at 01:28 PM.
Fail_sh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2014, 01:45 PM   #74
Dukester
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post

just 2 weeks ago Ed stated " As long as I'm under .10 phosphates I'm good, I don't chase each tenth of a point."

Unread 01/10/2014, 01:49 PM   #75
Thales
Registered Member

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog...opora-muricata