Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2011, 11:49 AM   #1
MACNA2011
Registered Member

MACNA 2011 - Discounted tickets still available!

Hey everyone, with just about 8 weeks until MACNA 2011, we just wanted to remind you that the final discount price of $125 for a full access pass expires on July 31. Don't let that slip by! Order now and use that extra money for some raffle tickets, a shirt or to buy some great stuff at the show!

We've got a great lineup of speakers including Sanjay Joshi, Julian Sprung, Anthony Calfo, David Hannan, Charlie Veron, Murray Camp and many more!

As always, MACNA will feature a HUGE raffle with thousands of dollars in prizes. There will be complete tank setups, controllers, lights, power heads, skimmers, coral packs, gift certificates and much, much more! One lucky winner will event get a Caribbean cruise for 2! Visit http://www.macna2011.com/Raffle/RaffleItems.aspx to watch the list of prizes grow!

With well over 100 exhibitors on site, you'll see fantastic corals for sale, new products that are just hitting the market, and more.

As an extra bonus, MACNA pass holders get free admission to the Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines during the event! http://www.blankparkzoo.com/

Finally, if you want up to the minute details on the show, follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/macna2011 or Twitter at http://twitter.com/macna2011. If you have more questions or are ready to order tickets, go to http://www.macna2011.com.

We hope to see you there!

MACNA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 04:57 PM   #2
mystery_reef
Registered Member

is anyone from cmas goin? as a buyer is it really worth it? do you have to be present to win the raffle items on sunday? i am seriously considering going. the only downsides i see are going on friday(not being able to buy unless you maybe set up a temp tank or the vendors will hold pieces?). if you go sunday you can buy and hit the raffle but by sunday all the good things will probably be gone, which means there will be awesome deals on all the normal stuff, which is great for others but not for me. what else is there to do around that area?

mystery_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Matt4074
Registered Member

I went last year in Orlando it was a blast. Yes you have to be present to win the raffle. I won a few things including a frag pack of high end DFS corals. The presentations are usually great, and you get to see the new technology and advancements in the hobby. Lots of coral vendors and dry goods vendors to buy stuff at good deals. Especially on Sunday when the show is nearing the end, the vendors usually drop to rock bottom prices to sell off their stock. It always a fun time.

Matt4074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 07:06 PM   #4
bryman
Aquascape Destroyer

Would love to go but I think I'll save some cash and go to the local frag swap around the same time instead.

Current Tank Info: 90G Tech
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 08:46 PM   #5
BigKev23
Registered Member.

Already bought my full pass and have the hotel booked.

BigKev23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 09:04 PM   #6
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

I'm heading there... Have my full pass and raffle tickets... I need to make hotel reservations...

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2011, 10:56 PM   #7
goby1kenobi
contemplating new tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_vol View Post
I'm heading there... Have my full pass and raffle tickets... I need to make hotel reservations...
+1

Hopefully I'll be coming home with lights!

goby1kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 08:39 AM   #8
FiReBReTHa
Master Blaster!

imma goin!

•Ecotech Vortech Member•

Current Tank Info: 120g rimless
FiReBReTHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Cubbies
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
would love to go but i think i'll save some cash and go to the local frag swap around the same time instead.
+1

Cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 09:06 AM   #10
poidog81
Registered Member

I'm thinking about it.... I doubt it tho, but it would be fun.

poidog81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 09:52 AM   #11
myfast
Registered Member

I'm going. It will be my first MACNA. I'm especially excited about all the great speakers!

Current Tank Info: 125 gal - Blonde Naso Tang, Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Royal Gramma, ORA Blue Fin Watchman Goby, Pair of Pink Skunk Clowns, Green Clown Goby, Pajama Cardinal, Pair of Fire Shrimp, Pincushion Urchin, Black Longspine Urchin, various corals
myfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 08:31 PM   #12
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

I went in ATL, so this will be my second MACNA... I was a bit disappointed by the raffle prizes there, and well the MACNA in general... I'm told it was the venue and that Pittsburgh and Houston were better... I did enjoy the reception in the ATL Aquarium though... Last year I was way too busy with moving and everything to pay much attention to Orlando... We'll see how Des Moines goes, but I figure since its within driving distance and I've never really been to Iowa besides missing my exit in Moline and turning around in Davenport it is a worth while endeavor...

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2011, 08:48 AM   #13
xroads
Registered Member

This will be my second as well. Orlando was awesome & won some awesome stuff.

xroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2011, 08:15 PM   #14
jbrunken
Registered Member

Yes, Orlando was great. They set the bar pretty high for us in Iowa.

Hope to see a bunch of you all there!

jbrunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2011, 03:11 PM   #15
Rod Buehler
Registered Member

MACNA is not like your typical frag swap. MACNA is what the acronym stands for. Its a full blown Marine Aquarium Conference of North America. A great place to gather and meet new reefing friends and learn tremendous amounts about the hobby. Even old salts learn lots. Speakers from all over the world are brought in to share their knowledge and ideas. Manufactures are there to represent the latest technology, gadgetry and new items. I was fortunate enough to attend my first when it was here in Chicago (1996?). Even being somewhat local, I stayed at the hotel and made a weekend of it. .. had a blast. So much fun that I followed MACNA around the country for the next few years and had a blast at every one. Met many new friends over the years. Some that were the "big shots" in the hobby, but I found that they were just like you and me. They shared a passion for the same hobby. There was a short period where I had to regretfully pass a few MACNAs, but have been to the last four, and they just keep getting better. I am already booked for MACNA 2012! So, if you want to have a great time with a lot of reefers from all walks of life, you will have a great time. If youre just looking for a bargain, you may find some/many, but its not the reason to attend.

Current Tank Info: many
Rod Buehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2011, 06:10 PM   #16
MBasile
Registered Member

As someone who hopes to possibly start a career in the aquarium industry, Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to make the trip and talk with vendors, or are they mostly just guys that dont know a whole lot sent there from the companies?

Unread 07/27/2011, 10:47 AM   #17
Tank2379
Registered Member

Might be last minute with the wife Road Trip...

80G Frag system- Powered by 2X MH Pendants with 250W 20K Radiums, DIY S
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2011, 10:52 AM   #18
BigKev23
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBasile View Post
As someone who hopes to possibly start a career in the aquarium industry, Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to make the trip and talk with vendors, or are they mostly just guys that dont know a whole lot sent there from the companies?
From everything I have read, it seems that MACNA is like a gathering of the "who's who" of the marine/reef industry. It's like everyone's big weekend to show off their best stuff, so I would guess that they are going to send their best people.

Unread 07/27/2011, 10:55 AM   #19
BigKev23
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biwinning View Post
Id really like to know if there are any really high end collector lps/chalice frags($200+) at macna. Like ones not regularly avaliable, even online. Or if its just many generic corals.
If you check out the exhibitor list, you can see which coral vendors will be there. Then you can check out their sites to see what they offer. Also, if you youtube "MACNA", there are some sweet videos of vendor tanks from last year.

Unread 07/27/2011, 11:07 AM   #20
MBasile
Registered Member

Thanks Kev, Im going to try and go. Anyone want to carpool?

Unread 07/27/2011, 01:09 PM   #21
xroads
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBasile View Post
Actually most of these companies are small and it is the owners themselves who are at the shows. Many of them are actually looking for new contacts to sell their product for them. So yes, it would be well worth your while.

xroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2011, 02:47 PM   #22
lolgranny
The DQ King

I have to ask. If i was to purchase some livestock from the vendors on day 1 will they hold the item or it is one of those things i need to bring a tank along with so i can keep it alive the 3 days?

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2011, 02:59 PM   #23
jbrunken
Registered Member

It will vary from vendor to vendor, but many will hold the corals for you until the end of the show.

Only a few hours left to get the discount tickets... The final discount expires at midnight tonight...

jbrunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2011, 03:34 PM   #24
lolgranny
The DQ King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrunken View Post
It will vary from vendor to vendor, but many will hold the corals for you until the end of the show.

Only a few hours left to get the discount tickets... The final discount expires at midnight tonight...
Ya, im still not sure if i can leave work yet so ill prob have to pay full price sadly. Happen to know what the reg prices for them are?

Thanks for the heads up good sir!

Have you been to it before? Ive been to a few swaps, and i hear these are pretty informative / fun.

Which hotel are you staying at?

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2011, 04:15 PM   #25
poidog81
Registered Member

Is the discount only on the 3-day pass? I'm thinking of just attending Sunday. Now, a Sunday only pass is $30. If that's the price (not an early special) then there is no need for me to rush and buy it today.

Thinking of driving down Saturday, getting a hotel, then attending Sunday pick up any "pack up specials" and do the raffle.

poidog81 is offline   Reply With Quote